Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Player Live: Report

_Sweet Willie_

Dig it -- I went to Bass Player Live at the Park Central Hotel yesterday in NYC as well as the concert that night at the China Club. I couldn't make it back today, but some of the other guys are there right now. They'll probably write more on this thread later. I had a blast.

I hung w/ 57pbass, Tom "Slidey-Chair Madball" Capasso, and wraub most of the day. 57p had to split for a gig that night so Tom and wraub and I were the formidable forum trio at that night's gig. As well as Ed Friedland.

I think that getz76 and Ace will be there today, along w/ wraub and Tom.

wraub mentioned last night that we might need 3 separate threads for this -- one for the gear, one for the workshops/clinics, and one for the show. For now I'll just write a bunch of stuff and then we'll see where it goes.

We all took pictures. I only took a couple and then stopped because the other guys really took a lot. The other fellahs will throw some up on the board within the next couple of days for sure.

Some highlights for me in terms of gear were the NY Bass Loft booth (Joey G. Music). We all played the lovely blue (for jeremyc) Dingwall (for greenboy). Great bass -- I believe a Z1 model. Great feel. The fanned frets are surprisingly comfortable -- even for playing chords. The instrument balances well and sounds great. Also at the same booth were plenty of phat high-end basses to be played thru a lovely rig of an Avalon U5 preamp, Glockenkland tube power amp, and two AccuGroove cabs (I think a Tri-110 and Tri-112). The fretless Basslines sounded nice thru that rig and was stunning to look at -- I can't begin to describe the way the body extended across the entire length of the neck w/ a groove behind it to facilitate comfort. Someone will post a pic, I'm sure.

The basses that really caught my eye and my hands were from M Basses (Jon Maghini custom guitars from CT). This young builder is building some beautiful instruments. I fell in love with a semi-hollow body, neck-thru fretless w/ piezos and only a volume knob. Strung w/ tapewounds it absolutely sang (yes, tnb, the reference rig at Jon's booth was a WW head thru an Eden cab -- delightful). I thought Jon said that the bass or one just like it was potentially destined to join Whappo's stable. Is this true, Mark?! If so, you're getting a truly outstanding instrument. Keep your eyes on this guy, gang, 'cause he's really turning out some highly crafted, beautifully sounding instruments.

I also enjoyed a brief experiment w/ a Brian Moore bass into a V-Bass set-up at the Roland booth -- where I met our recent member Tim "Skelly" Cason. He's a really friendly guy and knowledgeable about the Roland stuff. I enjoyed meeting him and insisted he walk over to the M Basses booth. He promised he'd give 'em a go this morning. The Brian Moore bass was okay, and the V-Bass is really cool. It's probably more than I need or want right now, but I think a lot of players could get a lot out of this piece of gear.

Lots of swag. Lots. We all collected t-shirts, strings, stickers, CDs and more. Brand whore? Me? Damn, y'all, it was free (if you don't count the cost of admission :eek: ) -- what can I say?! ;)

I sat in on an interview with honoree Will Lee. Funny, engaging, and knowledgeable player. Had us laughing and dropped our jaws with an outstanding medley-like sequence of grooves in C ("Give me a C, a bouncy C!"). Really laid out some great stuff about one of his primary influences -- Chuck Rainey. I caught one of Ed Friedland's workshops about groove -- really some great tips about how to read rhythms and translate them from notes on the page into groove on the bass. We got to chat afterwards with our forum's original moderator and took a photo with him. Great guy. Really capable educator. basshappi, are you still taking lessons with him? I would expect that to be a great experience.

I also caught a presentation/Q&A session w/ Matt Garrison. Phenomenal player and seems to have a depth of musical knowledge that is unreal. He is definitely taking bass playing and music to new places. Really inspiring. I bought his Shapeshifter CD at the Bass Collective booth afterwards (where I also signed up for a free lesson -- time and instructor to be determined). I haven't listened to it yet.

Anyway, during the day I learned some stuff about improving my playing and I learned some stuff about some cool gear. I got to hang with some of our groovy and affable forumites -- which was really a highlight. The day wouldn't have been as much fun without having the other guys to share it with and bounce ideas off of.

Amazing, though, were the seemingly endless numbers of players testing gear with an assortment of Jaco riffs and lines. Talk about influence! However, it definitely put me off "Teen Town" for a bit. :P

The China Club show kicked major butt. Reggie Hamilton's trio opened -- and they were smokin'. Oskar Cartaya and the Enclave came up -- and they were smokin', too -- smokin' like I'm gonna be picking up a copy of Oskar's CD when I have a moment. He and Reggie are bad-ass muthas on the good ol' 4-string Fender bass guitar.

Then Anthony Jackson rec'd a "Lifetime Achievement Award" and proceeded to stun the audience in a trio w/ the incomparable Wayne Krantz and drummer Cliff Almond. These guys were off the hook! (I am trying really hard to make my schedule work so I can catch them at the 55 Bar here in NYC before they head off to Japan next month.) I mean, really, they are in a whole new world. And, as Ed Friedland commented so succinctly and accurately to Tom, wraub, and me: Wayne does not play a single cliche' -- it's all fresh. Same for Anthony J in my opion. Editor and emcee Bill Leigh almost knocked the mighty 6-string contrabass guitar over -- yeah, Bill, we saw that... :D

The night finished off with Paul Shaffer presenting a "Lifetime Achievement Award" to Will Lee. Then Will's band, the Fab Faux, ripped through some great Beatles' material w/ Paul sitting in on a couple of tunes. Uncle Will is an outstanding performer, and for the last tune the bass stayed on the rack and he just sang "Fool on the Hill." Really outstanding stuff.

BTW, props to wraub for connecting me with an affordable adult beverage after the $8 beer I bought upon arrival reminded me sadly why I never buy drinks at clubs. Heck, Capasso dropped $5 on a ginger ale, gang! Hey wraub, I think I still owe ya' $2. :eek:

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the report! ...Did the V-Bass have the factory stuff in it? That just doesn't do it justice! not tonally, and not in terms of the flexibility and control that can be built into a single preset. Really a shame they didn't GO DELUXE. I think it would sell even more units if at least 8 or 12 of the patches pulled out all the stops and had tutorial on USING them to their fullest.

Scritto dal ragazzo verde:

Did the V-Bass have the factory stuff in it? That just doesn't do it justice!

It seemed to be just the factory stuff. However, Skelly walked me through it and that helped a lot in terms of helping me understand better the potential of V-Bass (and the opportunity to save something like 100 patches!). There was always someone (often Skelly) at the Roland booth to go thru their gear with those interested.

It was rare to have a "plug'n'play" situation at any booth, since the manufacturers/reps were right there and wanted to tell you all about their product(s) and emphasize what they saw as the strengths. For some folks, like Moghini of M Basses, the products did all the talking themselves! :cool: (This will be evident when you see a photo of my face scarred by an utterly goofy grin of gleefulness with a M Bass in my hands...)

Sorry, robb., I didn't have a chance to try the amps and Cirri basses at the Peavey booth. I was hoping they would send a rep from the engineering dept in MS, like ...ummm... you, to represent them at this event. ;)

Originally posted by Lizzy Roscoe Bergantino:

That sounds like it would have been worth the price of a plane ticket!

I don't know if I'd go that far! Maybe a train ticket from DC. ;)

It was worth the price of admission just to hear the 4 groups that played at the China Club that night, that's for sure. The swag and workshops were like gravy on top of that.

wraub is the one who truly scored by landing a "guest list" spot!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

I was stuck in boston. Couldn't come home. Hopefully my bass polishing cloth will help to dry my tears.

:cry:

jason "this is the first time that i've ever used an emoticon, so this must be a very serious moment...please don't laugh at me" atkins

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Maury, we missed ya'. Glad to hear all's OK. Was a groovin' time, and your presence would've only improved the groove factor.

Originally posted by Plan 09 from Outer Space:

Willie, did anyone get a peek at the Line6 modeling bass?

Dig it, zeronyne, I saw the booth and saw the bass. I did not play it. I don't know if one of the other fellahs got to it. I had a flyer about it in my "goodie bag", but can't find it now -- might've tossed it and the same info's probably available on their website.

The Brian Moore i-series bass with 13-pin jack was kinda cool, but honestly, when I played it I was more focused on the V-Bass unit to which it was attached that Skelly was showing me. The Moore headstock is not my cup of tea aesthetically, but I'd certainly like to play one again with a bit more focus on the bass itself!

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Getz.. Hope all is well.. we missed you there. Wraub Thanks again for bringing me in as your guest

Here are some pix from Bass Day.....

http://members29.clubphoto.com/daniel849022/2761600/owner_icons-1c28.phtml

This was a great event...very well organized with plenty of elbow room for everyone to move around.

In addition to plenty of great gear there where many personalities from the bass world in attendance and they are all very approachable and glad to see you.

As usual its always great to see fellow LDers at these events....

Some quick hilites -- I will jump in as this thread develops since we where there for a few hours and saw loads of great stuff......

Ed Friedland.. a great educator.. very clear and concise info with a few good one liners.... he had some good stories about his early playing days which are very similar to many stories we share on the board...

I had the great pleasure of meeting Bill Leigh - Editor of Bass Player mag... we had a nice chat... another gentleman...

Stopped into the Wayman Tisdale clinic.. man that guy is huge ...but he can play.. I think he was playing an original Tobias through a GK rig..

I also attended a Mike Pope clinic on reharmonization... I lasted about 20 minutes.. too thick for me....I was lost after the first 10 minutes...

As mentioned the Will Lee clinic was great as well as the Matt Garrison clinic....Victor Bailey was there ...unfortunately not performing.... met Jerry Jemmott.. The Thrill is Gone bass player.. I studied with him in the early 80's... a great guy....

As mentioned there was plenty of great gear..

Lakland and Ampeg shared a booth and had a few Skylines ready to road test...

Ampeg had a B - 15, a Classic SVT and a few modern heads and cabs ... very sweet....

Ibanez had a booth.....

Fender/SWR had a section of the room...many beautiful Fenders.. they had a few Fender bass rigs right next to the SWR line so you could really give a good side by side comparison....

Kustom had a few amps ... there where a few software companies and recording.

Hartke was there..

D'Addario had a big booth and good giveaways..strings and t shirts...

Fodera had a nice booth with a few basses and some preamps...

Rudys had a booth with some beautiful Pensa basses .. he had a few Bergantiono cabs to test the basses with.

Look forward to reading the follow up....

Enjoy the pix.....

www.danielprine.com

Thanks for the info, Doctor Sweet. Reading your run down is the next best thing to going. Cheaper too.

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

I'm going to split this up, because I've got way too much to say (and I'm saying that, you know you're in trouble). Later I'll post on two "bass care" seminars and on the editors.

Maury - glad everything's OK, but we missed you.

The event was smoothly run. Except for the inevitable sound issue (too many players, too much slap), things were cool The only issue I had was that there were too many workshops and not enough time. Making the choices was as hard as keeping my credit card in my wallet.

First, it was my honor to meet "Da Founda" Ed Friedland. I attended both his workshops (valid, since I read poorly) and was impressed by his ability to get ideas across. His thing is to find a simple method to enable students to progress to the harder stuff. The experience made me sad I can't take lessons from him.

During the second workshop (Ed called it "Stupid Metronome Tricks"), he called me up to demonstrate a simple technique as a way of getting people in the room involved. One other person answered the call after me, but nobody else was willing (and us first two guys weren't so stellar as to scare anyone off). When I got up, Ed plugged the forum and complimented us all. Afterward, he said he always feels good stopping by here (I assured him it's mutual). During the two days we'd would run into Ed at times, and he was always gracious and warm. What a great guy! His wife was with him, and she was friendly, open, and learning to play bass. I had a chance to talk with her in front of the NY Bass Loft, where I showed her how comfortable a custom bass can be (see Dan's picture of me playing that thing - there is a channel in back for your thumb that feels much better than you'd expect). Where was Ed? Talking to Fender about a 24 fret model that he wants them to make.

As a big Beatle fan, I was looking forward to the Fab Faux. Wraub and I discussed this afterward - they bring the Beatles music with force and energy that has the feel of the original recordings but still knocks you out. It was great, and I was glad that Willie and Wraub moved away in the crowd so they probably couldn't hear me singing all the high harmony. Iwas a great show, with Will kicking, the music driving, and Schafer's stubby fingers doing amazing things.

John M (and his informed girlfriend) were great to talk with. John and I had a chance to chat about his business in detail on Sunday. I loved the 5 string fretted (in the pictures, it's on the table with a ramp between two PUPs). John was also the recipient of the TC Loadout award. As I left the hotel they were loading the van, so I stopped and helped (but couldn't steal anything).

I got to hang with the Ashdown crew. If you don't know, Ashdown is made in the UK (Alex - did I say that correctly?), and the distributor seemed to bungle things after the initial push (I got that from my cousin who works in music stores). Earlier this year a new company was chosen, and their reps were running the both. Nice guys, very good with product info. They were able to explain the differing features and intent between the new "Labs" line (featuring the Mark King model, which I played) and the ABM (which is one of the amps I'm considering). Jack, Barry, and Mike were lots of fun joking and teasing and so on. Mike had two gigs Saturday night, and actually showed up early on Sunday. Of course, he was drinking lots of Rockstar, which was available in the booth. Mike had is own bass for testing - the best feeling Zon I've every played. Really fine.

On Saturday I got to say hi to Mike Tobias, and tell him the story of how I met one of his cousin's kids (who lives in my town - I posted the story somewhere...).

On Sunday I met Tony Franklin and Bryan Beller in the SWR booth. I immediately started my introduction by dropping Bump's name. Every time I did that, Bryan's middle finger jumped up as he said what a cool guy Bump is. Bryan was gracious enough to restrain his finger when I asked to have a picture taken and he said "yeah - show him this!".

Bryan and Tom

I had a few chances to talk with Skelly. What a nice guy - he thanked me and everyone for PMing about our "join the community first" policy, and was very positive about the forum. Great to meet you Tim :thu:

Skelly and Tom

I am not an effects guy, so I didn't try any Roland stuff out. I also didn't go into the Line6 booth. I wanted to try the new Epifani head, but it was coupled with the Fodera booth (they are in the same building in Brooklyn), and there was always too much going on there (and did you think I could tell Mike Pope to hand over his bass so I could play???).

I am exhausted, and there's so much more to tell!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hey all. Still recovering to some extent, trying to find a way to cover all I saw over the weekend, especially as Will, Dan, and Tom have done such a great job already.

I'm also trying to sort/edit/post some of the over 250 pics I took over the weekend. I have some done already (it's been slow so far at work today), I'll probably have to make more than one album to do it right. I will post as many as seem worthy and appropriate.

First, I want to deeply and sincerely thank Bass Player Magazine and Mr. Bill Leigh for their most gracious gift of admission. Words do not do my gratitude justice, but they'll have to suffice.

The reports by the others who attended, especially Willie, tell a lot. Many great players, lots of new cool gear, a lot of slapping and quite a bit of Jaco in the air.

The V-Bass is indeed a fun breed of cat, although it is still a little disconcerting at first to play bass and hear flute, or fuzzy lead guitar, or anything else but bass. After a while, though, it's just fun. I could see having one of these around for recording, and the live possibilities are practically boundless.

Similarly, zeronine , the Variax bass offers scads of potential, the sounds are well modelled, and it plays and sounds good, solidly built. 4 string only for the next 6 months or so, apparently. Interestingly, the Line 6 rep explained to me that the delay on the 5-er is partly caused by the modelling in question, i.e.:

"How is the B string on, say, a Hofner "Beatle bass" supposed to sound?" The math sounds intriguing, but the bass sounds better, even as a "lowly" 4. Even David Ellefson seemed to like it.

The NY Bass Loft has many unique instruments, some with brands fairly new to these shores. Dan and Joey G. look to have a winner with this place. All the basses xhibited first class details, although some were pretty "out-there" looks-wise, eliciting some amusing comments from passers-by. My fave lookers were from Basslines, Ritter, Leduc, and Marleaux, but in a fair and just world, my next bass will be a Dingwall. Good looking, well-built, and the fan-fret design works better than expected. Simply put, fan-frets are, IMO, the way it should be done, the way of the future, the way of all that is right and holy, the... OK, I may be a little worked up on this, but I really dug that bass.

And speaking of very diggable basses, I will also chime in and mention the M Basses, very well designed and constructed, buttery sweet to play.

I took many pics of these, I will post seperately on them as they deserve the attention. In the meantime, www.mbasses.com should suffice.

Also worthy of mention were the offerings from Zimmerly, a small company on Long Island.

Also sporting some fresh approaches to construction and design, these all looked to be first-rate builds, and played great. One of the models on display had a body made of hand shaped, powder-coated aluminum, done in blue. Tom wondered if it would be "a good bass for playing metal". I'm pretty sure it would.

Again, I took many pics of these and of Kevin, the friendly builder, and will post more at length ASAP. Try www.zimmerlybasses.com for more info.

So much more to cover, but work beckons. As I said, I probably have fodder for weeks of posts, but I will strive for concision with haste.

Like that'll happen... :)

Thanks for readin', more to come!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Ben - we missed you, but I did get to play your signature Fender model. I see what you guys are all talking about. Very nice, very solid and well made. The Fender guy looked at me like I was nuts when I asked him to take a picture of me playing it. Imagine if I had told him why :cool:

Tom plays the Ben Loy model Fender Jazz

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Dr. Zarkov:

On Sunday I met Tony Franklin and Bryan Beller in the SWR booth. I immediately started my introduction by dropping Bump's name. Every time I did that, Bryan's middle finger jumped up as he said what a cool guy Bump is. Bryan was gracious enough to restrain his finger when I asked to have a picture taken and he said "yeah - show him this!".

Bryan and Tom

Who's the jackass on the right in that picture?

Great report, Tom and everyone else! Great pictures, too.

Sounds like an incredible time. I'm sure I'm not the only one turning green here. Every pun intended greenboy. And, thanks for the pics - it's good to see some of youz mugs.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I keep remembering things about the event. Very cool days. Then there were the $12 sandwiches for lunch (I woofed some Ashdown-provided candy instead).

This link gets you a pic of Willie and John of M Basses

There's that "goofy grin" shot that Willie mentioned. Like they say - very cool basses.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Originally posted by Dr. Zarkov:

There's that "goofy grin" shot that Willie mentioned.

"Goofy grin" -- sometimes referred to as a "s%$&-eatin' grin". I loved that bass. I've already had a dangerous exchange of e-mails with Jon M that have included things like photos of basses and specs. Scary stuff, gang.

wraub has some live shots of Anthony Jackson from the show at the China Club that are killin'.

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

How does one attend a event like that and NOT take another mortgage on the house to pay for the GAS?

Wish I coulda been there.

Got a question thats been bugging me. On the Dingwall Bass. Why are the frets slanted like that? better intonation?

Archived