Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DAW users - any problems overdubbing from latency issues?

I do mixing and editing on the computer, but not usually recording. For recording I've been a stand-alone hard disk recorder guy for a few years, but lately the thought of doing it all on the computer has caught my interest. I have just about everything I need (since I dump projects to the computer regularly), but my only concern is dealing with latency and overdubs. Do you have to drag your overdub tracks back in order to line them up with the original due to latency? I've experienced the flanging effect before, when the source and playback are not at the exact same time. Thoughts? Experience? Thanks.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's is usually not an issue for me. But, there has been the occaisional exception where I had to pull a track back 2 or 3 milliseconds to tighten up an alignment of tracks. But, it was no big deal. The new Cool Edit actually adjusts for "uneven starts" when a recording a multi-track session. When the session is stopped, it takes a little extra time to align the tracks... but, it makes a big difference.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Nerver had to do it in Sonar or Nuendo.Both use low latencey drivers.It could be a problem with certain plugs however(Waves Pitch),but not with the app itself.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

If you can monitor what you record in hardware, latency is NEVER an issue in a DAW... I run SONAR on a machine w. 500 ms latency, but thats irrelevant because the machine compensates so sound that comes in is recorded in sync with sound that comes out. (in one sense you could say the software purpousfully plays audio 500 ms "ahead of time" to compensate) IF however you monitor THROUGH the DAW things are a different matter entirely, when you "hear" what you play 500 ms late it's impossible. Even 20 ms is noticable delay that throws your timing off. So make sure you can monitor in hardware and youre all set. /Z

Matt, > Do you have to drag your overdub tracks back in order to line them up with the original due to latency? < I'm surprised nobody addressed this: No, you do not have to do that. The software handles that for you. If the software does not, then it is at fault. All modern programs like Sonar do this correctly and transparently. --Ethan

Digital Performer has a "Direct Hardware Patch Thru" option that I use for all the time. I have never had to adjust tracks due to latency. I can`t imagine other DAWs that do not have this option. Peace, Ernest

I have SONAR and an older Cubase 32, I was unaware that they compensated for the latency since I've only used them for dumping to! Of course, my latency is EXTREMELY low. Thanks!
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Archived