Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cans of worms unleashed- Jazz

ondray

Hi,

I am relatively new to the world of jazz.

I find that transcribing horn solos, fills and walking basslines from the swing era (Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Jimmy and Tommy Dorsie) helps explain the core and how jazz (theory)has progressed through time. These cds are cheap as well compared to modern pop and rock albums.

Contemporary jazz is just too hard to explain. (It does sound like the instrument is suffering from diarrhoea for some)

Would love to know how you "jazzers" start and progress from scratch. Tips will be greatly appreaciated.

I have found these books to be really useful in explaining why jazz solos can sound so out of the world and yet make you feel like it's appropriate at the same time.

The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine

Thinking in Jazz : The Infinite Art of Improvisation (Chicago Studies in Ethnomusicology Series) by Paul F. Berliner

Andre

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. Jazz is listening, especially with young people. You can't learn to play in a style unless you listen to it. Listening to "Clear Channel Radio" pop crap won't help you play jazz.

This is the biggest thing the jazz band guys in my schools battle. Kids (in general) don't sit around and listen to the Basie Band. I've been to a zillion clinic and at almost every one the clinician will tell you that the model rhythm section is the Basie Band. They are also my favorite.

Anyway...listen, then listen more.

The easiest way for me was to play with and listen to some great musicians. I used to play every Wednesday night for about 3 hours with a little jazz group. It was not practicing for shows. In fact we never played anywhere. The leader of the group was an older gentleman (75) who loved jazz and was excited about teaching other guitarists how to play it. I went along because my uncle was in the group. After a while my bass playing really improved. Anytime you can have someone who has been in a certain genre for some time there are wonderful bits of wisdom you can get from them.

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

I remember the first couple of times I tried to explore jazz, I was told to listen.

I didn't get it. Now I do.

You have to have big ears to play jazz. In fact, the phrase "big ears" is used a lot.

Here is a great, bass-specific reference: The Jazz Bass Book. Covers everything from history to technical exercises and transcribed solos. An incredible, well researched reference.

Here\'s a link.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Liste....oops! somebody already said that. Find some guys that you can hang and play with that have some experience playing jazz, then listen to them while playing with them. It won't necessarily come overnight, but the more you can interact with guys that play jazz, the better. Believe in yourself and don't let the jazz snobs get you down! :)
"Study, study, study...or BONK BONK bad kids!"

Hi,

Thanks guy for the advise. Yea, have started listening to lots and lots of jazz solos and walking basslines.

It does help a lot. I am making up lots of my own solos in my head now based on what I have heard from the records. Executing them on the instrument is a lot harder but am getting there. I find that knowing the characteristics of certain intervals helps me to get that jazz and swing feel. Something like Bb(b7)-C(8ve)-Bb(b7)-G#(b5)-G#(b5)-A(6)-G(5) in triplets, which gives that piercing b5 feel. And also the Eb(b3)-C(1)-Eb(b3)-C(1)-F(4)-F(4)-F#(#4) in swing rhythm.

By the way, I got the Goldsby's book and yea, it's really good cause it concentrates on famous jazz bass players and their individual styles. Awesome.

Is there any horn solos music sheets worth learning from?

It would make my life easier without having to transcribe those fast solo runs. Am using Winamp and the Slow Me Down plugin to slow the music by 70%. It still sounds pretty damn fast!

Thanks once again for the advise. I hope I will be able to find a mini jazz ensemble with people who has the same goals in mind, and not wanting to be super stars and take over the world. Big ego does put the learning process to a big halt!

Andre

Archived