Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Right hand position/Tonal differences...

JBFLA

{Disclaimer: SouthPaws - please reverse comments!}

Recently, I've purchased a 5'er and a Lakland 44-02 with the MM/Jazz pickup configuration.

After 20 years of playing a 'Ray (and a few basses with a J/J config), the difference in tone and right hand placement is noticably different.

I'm used to fairly minor tone changes with my 'plucking' hand placement, but the MM/J pickup config seems to accentuate the difference...not that that's a bad thing! I've always moved my hand towards the neck pick-up for a more P-bass style tone with the 'Ray or the Jazz P-up basses. It just seems so much more...'in your face'... with a MM/J config.

Are my ears playing tricks on me, or is this common?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a G&L jazz/p-bass config (SB-2) for a while, but the MusicMan style/Jazz style config is so far removed from that.

A half an inch (neck to bridge movement) seems to make a world of difference.

I'm sure I'll adjust, but it is somrthing to consider in a 'Live' situation.

I just want to know if my ears are deceiving me.

I'm old. ;)

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I played a Stingray exclusively for years, and I would always use that very fact as a point of argument with anyone who said the Stingray only had one sound. It is indeed a more pronounced difference than on, say, a Jazz bass.

I'm glad I started out on it, it got me to really explore the different sounds you can get with your hands.

I love my Jazz. I used to plant my thumb on the neck pick-up but lately I've shifted more towards the neck and i'm resting on the instrument just kinda lettin my hand float, integrating a slap-pop and finger style.

I love movin my right hand position around. But I'll mess with the tone controls too depends on how growly or soft I wanna be.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

I think that hand positions in relation to the pickups changes your tone on any bass, regardless of make and model. I have found that if you play at the neck and then move down towards the bridge, your tone should alter itself quite a bit. Just adding my two cents.

Ben 'n' Jerry :eek: - (sorry- couldn't resist, JeremyC!)

Yep, right hand position is sooo important.

I've just never noticed it so intently until I got the Lakland. Much more defined/obvious with the MM/J p'ups config. Much more sensitive to placement - I wondered if it was just my ears.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

it's a matter of physics that where you strike the string has an impact on how the instrument sounds. it is an important part of technique to be able to use this to your advantage to get as many tones out of your instrument as possible. this makes you a more well rounded and versitile player.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I, like Jeremy, try to use the tone knobs on my bass as little as possible. I have found that I can get a huge variation of sounds from hand position and technique. That allows me to change my tone much quicker than I coul turning knobs. For me it is definitely worth time to learn how to get the different sounds I am looking for by moving and changing technique.

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

Intrestingly enough I was having this very conversation with my teacher last week. We were talking about how significantly you can vary the tone by both where you pluck the string as well as where you play the notes.

I played my Precision for many years and it taught me the value of left hand position (right hand for most of you). With the Precision I never touched the tone control.

The P-bass is all about technique!

For over a year now my primary 4-string has been my Jazz. Though I still vary the tone primarily by plucking position, I find that I need to roll off some treble to get the "thicker" tones.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

It really is about hand position - and MAYBE just a TOUCH of EQ at th ebass. After all my playing around with many various basses and rigs over the last few years, I am going back to a fairly basic set up and getting the tone from my hands.

Archived