Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIM P Bass or modded Squier?

cameron

Hi all,

I'm a guitarist who occasionally plays bass in the studio (never live), and I'm looking for a cheapish bass. I've narrowed it down to a MIM P Bass, or a (good) Squier and put Seymour Duncan pickups and a Badass Bridge in it. Which will give me the better recorded sound (traditional Fender P Bass kinda sound)??

All comments welcome...

cameron.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The MIM will have a better resale value than the squire. Im sure someone who knows more about it than me will agree or correct me.
"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Depends on how cheap.

I've commented on this in other threads. I like Yamaha RBX basses - if you can find one with active bridge and humbucker go for it. They are inexpensive and easily set-up. If you can find an RBX 3000 - jump on it. I wouldn't worry about resale if you go 'cheapish'.

With Fenders these days being particularly variable, I would find a bass that is comfortable and then worry about it. I was at the Rockville GC and a guy played a Warwick THumb 4-string, put it down, and picked up a Squier, one with both P and J pups. He started jamming and he told the salesman to give him the floor model because it felt so nice in his hands.

Really, look at the price and if you can afford it, play it. If it is the best you've played, buy it. Don't worry about Fender vs. Squier at this point; just find YOUR bass!

- Germain

.~.

Posted by bassplayer5217:

Don't worry about Fender vs. Squier at this point; just find YOUR bass!

Wise words. I've said this before. I have a $300 pawn shop GTX-5 (Kaman) that I absolutely adore and play tons more than my Steinberger or my Schecter C5. It just feels good and I can talk to this bass softly. I have to yell at the others.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by DONUT:

I would head here: www.basspalace.com

They always have fairly good deals on the older japanese fenders and squiers. The older japanese ones are the good ones IMO.

:thu: Thanks, brother.

I'm doing recordings in the Philly area and I might "detour" there soon. In total agreement with your assessment on Japanese models.

Originally posted by cameron:

MIM P Bass or modded Squier?

The answer to this one is simple. A modded MIM P Bass! The MIM basses I've tried have been sounding great, and feeling great. Just find the right bass for you. They quality may be better on some of 'em..

Archived