Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a lot OT: Invited to Australia...

Bass_god_offspring

Note: since topics about soccer have been posted up here, i figure that though it's not about bass, it's a legit question for a large group of people.

well today i received a letter titled, "People to People, Student Ambassador Programs". anyways, it said that i was recognized as an "outstanding student", and invited me to go to Australia for 20 days next summer as a foreign exchange student type of thing.

it went on to list a bunch of fun activities and what not, but my main question to you guy/girls is: has anyone every heard of this organization before, becuase it seems a bit suspicious to me.

:confused:

thanks a lot.

P.s. i wonder if bringing my bass along would be considered "packing light" :eek::D

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't you get a job on your summer vacation? There will be plenty of time for travelling once you're grown up -- hang on, I think that might be the other way around...

Where in Australia will you be going?

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

Shouldn't you get a job on your summer vacation? There will be plenty of time for travelling once you're grown up -- hang on, I think that might be the other way around...

Where in Australia will you be going?

true, i should get a job, but how many times do i get to go down there and earn College and High school credit, and huge points on my College application. :thu:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

P.s. i wonder if bringing my bass along would be considered "packing light"
not with your bass. the pickup in the atk is a MONSTER!!! :D

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

not with your bass. the pickup in the atk is a MONSTER!!!
lmao. very true.

now i gotta invest in a practice amp.....and a ATA flight case......and....*trails off*

:thu:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

My son got one of those People-to-People invitations.

I investigated it.

You have to pay a lot of money to be in the program.

They "pick" a lot of people and see how many takers they get. You certainly aren't getting a free trip.

If your family can afford it, it would probably be a lot of fun.

My son worked in the summers or took courses or both.

My son got one of those People-to-People invitations.

I investigated it.

You have to pay a lot of money to be in the program.

They "pick" a lot of people and see how many takers they get. You certainly aren't getting a free trip.

If your family can afford it, it would probably be a lot of fun.

My son worked in the summers or took courses or both.

sweet, thanks a lot for the info.

can u give me a number on the price though? :confused:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

If you want to pay the money, you can come and do a session (3-4 months) at a uni in australia. I've no idea how much this costs, but there are a lot of people who do it -- I think it ends up cheaper than a full fee US session (depending on the exchange rate). That's all a few years off for you anyway, right?
A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

Sorry, BGO, it was 8 years ago, I don't remember.

It's probably changed since then anyway.

lol, it's ok, i understand.

just as long as i know it's not a scam, im good. :D

but i seriously wonder if they would let me bring a bass or guitar, prolly not though. :cry:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

http://www.maton.com.au/images/BB.gif

You'll have to buy a Maton to play in Australia, at least until the FTA comes in ;)

http://www.maton.com.au/default.asp

You'll have to buy a Maton to play in Australia, at least until the FTA comes in

http://www.maton.com.au/default.asp

why would i have to do that?

and what the hell is the FTA? :confused:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

why would i have to do that?

and what the hell is the FTA?

FTA = Free trade agreement

You wouldn't actually need to buy an australian made bass; I was making fun of protectionist policies in general -- I should get back to the SSS political party!

My daughter used to get those all the time (I think she still does). We glanced at it the first time, and I wasn't thrilled. Australia? "some organization" of people I don't know? How responsible are they going to be with my child? She wasn't interested anyway, so I didn't have to carry it too far.

I've heard of school-sponsored/arranged trips going bad - I'm not putting my kid out there with just anybody.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Do what im going to do, go after uni, i was going to go this summer but i bought a warwick instead, so im going for a year between my two uni courses. If you get the flight in winter, then its about £200/300 cheaper. Flights to oz are really really expensive in summer.

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Yep...I dunno where they get these mailing lists, but I see this stuff all the time. As a teacher, I've gotten some of my own..."ambassador" to Washington DC...stuff like that. It's basically cold-calling.

Some are more legit than others, but still a burden. Texas Music Educators Association, of which I'm a member, is tied into one of these things to go to Russia and observe and advise on music education. The lucky ones who get named just have to fork over three grand.

The real problem is, the tour group sets the itinerary. You have no control over hotel, food or travel arrangements...which is troublesome. And generally, in addition to the amount they charge, they typically leave from only one place, LA, or Orlando. You are also responsible for getting to that locale.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Go go for it man. Don't miss an opportunity like this. It'll be a great experience for you. I'd reccomend buying a new bass in Australia, than risk transporting your bass in luggage check. What better reason is there to buy a new bass?

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

they said that it costs about 2600.00!!! :eek:

F*ck that. i'd rather do something like buying a few basses with that money. plus, i'm not the kinda person that takes advantage of my parents money.

thanks for you opinions and advice you guys. :thu:

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Excellent choice. With college coming up in a few years you'll want to start saving your money for important things, like kegs.

lol, true, those are always important. :thu:

(yay, my 300th post, lol) :D

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Originally posted by Scoot:

Excellent choice. With college coming up in a few years you'll want to start saving your money for important things, like kegs.

I think thats why so many americans (US) come and study in Australia for a while -- drinking age 18.

Archived