Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whatcha listenin' to? (Yet again!)

_Sweet Willie_

We haven't had one of these threads in a while, and the last couple were up to a bazillion pages or so, so I thought I'd fire up a new one.

Soooooooo, what's in the CD player, or the DVD player, or the computer at work, or the 8-track in your car, or...? Well, you get the picture.

I'm currently enjoying Jonas Hellborg's The Silent Life on my computer at work. I'm enjoying it quite a bit actually. I had borrowed it in the past from a friend and recently rec'd the CD as a gift, so now I've got my own. :thu:

Anyway, Jonas plays a Wechter acoustic bass guitar, by himself, for the whole album. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this CD really opens up new ways of thinking about our instrument, what it can do, and what we can do with it. It's chock full of beautiful compositions. :thu:

Oh yeah, I'll also add that Jonas does apparently know where all the notes are. ;)

In the car I've been diggin' Weather Report's Heavy Weather. 'Nuff said.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Willie, (and everyone else) if you don't have Matthew Garrison's solo cd yet, run out and get it now. No kidding. The guy is a major talent.

And I just went to his website, http://www.garrisonjazz.com/ , and saw that he has a new solo cd out, so I guess I'll order that.

Meanwhile, I have been listening to a live cd by Chickenfoot Gumbo featuring Lowdown member Way2Fat.

Enjoyable New Orleans style music. :thu:

Hmmmm . . .in the Car Dream Theater, Scenes from a Memory.

In the house Brian Setzer Orchestra, Dirty boogie.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I'm listening to the new Mutual Admiration Society album (Glen Phillips from Toad the Wet Sprocket w/ Nickel Creek). I had already heard this material from previous Nickel Creek shows, but it was nice to get studio verions from this release. I'll be seeing the group next Monday and John Paul Jones will be playing with them at this show as well. Should be quite the night of music!!!

In the car I have been listening to

Allman Brothers - Live Wipe The Windows Album

Rhino Disco Compilation

David Lindley

Danny Gatton / Joey Defrancesco Relentless

Procol Harum Grand Hotel

www.danielprine.com

I mostly do my listening in the car these days, I had Hourglass - Subconscious (featuring the grandmaster of groove, the prodigy of prog - Mr. ClarkW - on bass) on heavy rotation (of which I'll write a review one of these days) and as of last week I've been enjoying Chancer\'s (w/ our own white collared Pimp Daddy, Maury "getz76" S., providing the low end) latest EP The Fall (review also pending).

Support the Lowdown subsonic troops, and order those great discs now! And if you've done it already, nothing stops you from doing it again!

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

No Doubt- Tragic Kingdom

Mana- Revolucion de Amor

Lanny Cordola- Electric Warrior Acoustic Saint

Tower of Power- Best of

Allies- Man with a Mission

Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.

"Rindase!"

"Rendirme? Que se rinda su abuela, *#@!^$"

Rope a Dope - Stand up - Sampler

Charlie Haden - Liberation Music Orchestra

Psychedelic Soul - The Temptations (its a reissue of Psychedelic Shack with extended Versions)

XTC- Apple Venus Vol 2 - Wasp Star

Yesca - Excerts from Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke Sndtrk

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Beasties- To the 5 Boroughs

Limbomaniacs- Stinky Grooves

The Roots- Phrenology

Tibetan Vegas- wraub (unreleased EP)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

some best of louis armstrong with duke ellington orchestra.

billie holiday (1952-1955) again a compilation

horses - patti smith

simple pleasures - tindersticks (not their best)

guns N roses - use your illlusions (should I be ashamed :P )

and midis of some jazz standards I am trying to get into.

oops my signature dropped

Originally posted by abaguer:

Chaka Khan and Rufus - Live at the Savoy.

Stroll down memory lane--I caught Rufus and Chaka Kahn in 1977 at a outdoor venue in Santa Barbara, CA;great sound and I sat all of the way up in the amplitheater--had a great view of the oil derricks out on the ocean. My mode of transportation--Honda 750 and I was sleeping in a tent.

Thanks for allowing this "older" dude the oppportunity to reflect!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I just got a rare one...a CD reissue of an Electra album...the original and reissue are out of print.

That would be "Roots in the Sky" by Oregon. The band recorded 2 great albums for Electra..."Out of the Woods" and "Roots in the Sky" and then recorded other, more remote places.

These 2 incredible fine albums have pages at Amazon, and from time to time you can get used copies.

Out of the Woods is right here...give a listen to sample tracks, which are not even the best ones.

Roots in the Sky is here, again...give a listen.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

On repeat at work right now is the super-secret, underground'n'stealthy, unmastered #3 With a Mullet by Mrs. Grundy featuring our own Ben Loy on bass on most of the tracks and very occasional forum participant Matt Scharfglass (sp?) on the others. (He's posted here under a couple of nicknames, including "Ben's Jilted Stingray", and shares w/ some of us a love of the great Ibanez Roadstar basses of the '80s. Maybe he'll show up on this thread...)

The CD is great -- really great. No, really, I mean it -- it's great. Mrs. Grundy brings the rock, and then some. The basslines are fun -- plenty of groove and some tasty fills. The hooks are infectious. The lyrics are refreshing, predominantly witty and never goofy or "throw-away".

I have already informed my credit card that I fully intend to buy the official, mastered, final version of this CD as soon as it's ready.

How'd I get a copy of the early version CD? Because I'm special. Well, actually that's not why... I sent one of my NYC posse to a recent Grundy gig and he scored it for me. You want one? I think you have to go to a Grundy gig, or else wait until the final, mastered version is ready. I'm sure there will be links to purchase it from the Mrs. Grundy website .

Even though the unmastered version is, well, unmastered (duh!), it actually sounds great. The tweaking in the mastering process will only serve to refine what are already good-sounding tunes.

Currently my favorite tracks are "The Air Up Here" and "Inhale". Props also to "Golf Swing", which cracks me up.

Peace.

--SW

Thanks for the earlier comments about Matt Garrison. :thu:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I've really gotta order that one!

House: a live Marvin Gaye cd and The Who's Then and Now (a greatest hits on).

In cd player: a Blink 182 mix, Bob Marley's Legend and Jane's Addiction's Strays.

In Uncle Rich's car: The Beatles' One.

In Skynyrd We Trust

Stuff I Like Right Now:

Mindless Self Indulgence - Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy

The Jesus Lizard - Shot

High On Fire - Surrounded By Thieves

Milligram - Hello, Motherfucker

Jucifer - Calling All Cars On The Sunset Strip

Joni Mitchell - Hejira

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Dream Theater, all of it.

Yes, all of it.

Since I'm seeing both of them in September, I want to have all of the songs memorized, or at least recognized. :)

And Helion (Fool's Paradise), which I use as my #1 disc for getting me pumped for long runs and footraces.

Archived