Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Removing Frets

69tele

Has anyone successfully converted a fretted bass to frettless ? (other than jaco ?!)

i ask as I have a washburn bass sitting around not doing much and I've been having GAS lately for a fretless.

its a pity its not a Fender or Fender Clone otherwise I'd have swapped the neck,

ideas welcome

Ernie

If in doubt leave it Out !

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do a search on this board, or on google. there is a wealth of information out there on how to remove frets properly. it can be done if you're careful. I tried it once, but didn't research how to do it, and I effectively destroyed the bass. Had to buy a new neck :)

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

I agree, do a search. It has been covered here a lot. Search for the usual suspects (defretting, fretless conversion, etc.) Also, go to www.mikelull.com - there used to be a step by step mini-photo essay on the procedure, under "featured repair". It seems to be gone now, but it was up for a while, perhaps they could still provide you with the info.

Also try www.projectguitar.com

I defretted one of my basses recently with great success, and many others here on the LD have attempted it with a variety of finished (or not) results.

Take your time, think through every step before you start any work, and be sure ahead of time what you are expecting when you are done.

Conversely, try measuring the neck pocket- you might be able to find a replacement neck. Ask at www.warmoth.com or www.stew-mac.com

Or ask Washburn, they may have more helpful tips.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by wraub:

I defretted one of my basses recently with great success...

Peace,

wraub

Pictures?

Peace'n'luv,

--sweet'n'low

Hey everybody... Will's back!

Funny you should mention those pics. I have been valiantly attempting the long awaited and much delayed retrieval of all of my pics from my wounded hard drive, and have located an online host. Man, that's a lot of pics I have!

Defret pics and a trip back in the time machine await us all... But soon!

(tick, tock, tick, tock...)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I have an old Welson bass (also known as Wurlitzer/Dynacord basses), my first bass that I acquired when I was 13.

So old that within 2 years of having it, the frets were raising up at either edge of the neck and scraping my hands up something fierce....so it was very easy to remove them.

I just took a super-thin flathead jeweler's screwdriver and very VERY carefully slid it under either side of the fretwire, and was able to get them off of the fingerboard that way. No chunks or flakes of wood coming off of the fingerboard at all! That was almost 9 years ago.

The only thing is that it's really not great as a fretless, so I want to get it re-fretted and back into playing shape. The adhesive on the nut wore out last year, so that's another thing that needs fixing.

The electronics are a whole different story, and I'll take care of that once it's playable again.

I would get a new neck, but not only is the neck on it absolutely wonderful....but it's a 35" scale bass, so that's probably out of the question.

Archived