Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

[!!!] - What set of Strings do you use?

xvincex

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DR Highbeams on three basses. 45-105 on the E A D and G strings.

La Bella flats on the p bass 50-110

GHS Brite Flats on the fretless

Elixir Nanoweb on one bass, but that's just an experiment, I'll go back to DR's on that one later.

Thomastic nylon core on the ABG.

Any other questions? ;)

I'm currently rocking some Dean Markley Blue Steels.

I've had them for 5 months and they still aren't dead!!

EDIT: I play mostly punk, some metal and some rock. I really like the blue steels for their brightness and the fact that they last so long and i think next time i change strings i'll get another set. If not, i think i might order some Misfits Skullbusters . Other than the fact that i love the misfits, these strings are a tiny bit thicker than my usual gauge (they are 46-106 apposed to my usual medium guage 45-105) so they'll add a tiny bit of tension but not too much , im not sure if it'll make much of a difference but who knows :P .

Being a Thomastik-Infeld endorsee, I use only their strings exclusively (and they ARE really fine strings!)

TI AcousticCores on my fretted and fretless Godins, as well as my Dean ABG, Taylor and Martin B1

TI Flats on the 67 P Bass and Lakland HB (which is only on loan)

TI PowerBass right now on the Epi Jack Casady Signature

TI Jazz Rounds on the MTD, Godin BG4, Tobias Classic, Fender Stu Hamm Urge and Deluxe Active J5

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Thomastic INfeld Jazz Flats on my Warwick....my string of preference is DR HiBeams, but the Flats are better suited to the kind of playing I'm doin' now.

I have a set of Fodera's on the 5, but wanted DR's...they were out of stock.

Haven't tried the TI's on the ABG, and the other basses in my collection are rarely treated to new strings...'cause that damn Warwick seems to get ALL of the work!

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

.....I dated myself again....

I did that too, and then I discovered girls in my teenage years. :D

As far as Vince's second question, I play a huge variety of music on whatever bass I happen to have brought with me. The choice of strings is not really relevant to the choice of music, except for using round wounds when I slap.

Erine Ball Group I flats on my Kit P-Bass that I don't use. It needs a new neck. Those are 110-50 I think. Really heavy so the neck stays the right way. They are also strung through the body. Thats how screwed up the neck is.

Ernie Ball Light Green 5-string sets on my 5 string (130 - 45) I use that for pretty much everything I play. Because the bass is so versatile. I just use Ernie balls because they are the cheapest quality string i could find. I don't really like their metallic sounding-ness the first week they're on though. After they settle in though, they are very good.

Rotosound nylon wrapped Tapewounds (105s) I had them on my Pbass first, but I didn't like the sound. Too dead sounding. So now they are on my ibanez converted fretless with an old Carvin Preamp and Carvin stacked J p'up.

D'addario phospher bronze on my ABG because they were free. and because they were made for acoustics. I think they are 100s.

I will eventually have a 5 string D'addario Hybrid set on my EUB once I make it. ;)

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

'75 Precision - Rotosound Swingbass 45-105

Yamaha BB400 - TI Jazz Flats

'83 Jazz RI - Elixer Nanoweb

Schecter 5str - Still has stock strings and they still sound great whatever they are!

Warwick Corvette - D'Addario XL piccolo gauge

Squier Fretless - LaBella Flats (I don't like these)

I mostly play rock and blues.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

daddarrio slowounds on my MIJ 94-95 Precision I primarily use for rock (alternative, hard rock or sometimes even metal) and oldies.

I'll replace them with some tighter strings I think. The E sometimes feels sloppy. I like their sound when tehy're fresh.

Thomastik Infield Jazz Flats on my eko converted fretless. I really like this string, both soncially and feel. Mostly oldies, experimenting with rock. I add some more drive to them when playing rock using BDDI.

No name strings on my no name bass. It is strange how this bass sound so bright with these dead strings and its dead frets.

daddarios on my classical guitar, when available I put augustine blues on it, soon to be replaced with hannabachs.

oops my signature dropped

DR High Beams first choice. D'Addario slowounds second choice. 45 on top is good. 125-130 on bottom is ok.

A friend of mine gave me 2 sets of high beams for my birthday 40-120...much too skinny, but the sound still great.

I play gospel...which is a blend of blues, hip hop, funk, jazz and everything else.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

TI Jazz Flats on my Jazz

TI Jazz Rounds on my Jazz/Moses fretless

TI SuperAlloy on my 44-02

Boomers on the '78 'Ray

Whatever came with the Schecter and Millenium 5's??

Different bands/different music/different basses...

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Jazz Bass - the new DR Black strings. With a black and gold bass, what other choice did I have... :D

Yamaha BB605 - DR Highbeams

Carvin fretless 6 - DR Sunbeans

I am not a DR endorser, but for what they cost I wish I was. :)

Oh yeah, I play all kinds of music, but mostly jazz.

In regards to the addendum.....

I play a wide variety of styles; from rock to classical...with, of course a lot of solo bass thrown in!

Lately, studio gigs have been most hip hop and R&B, and live stuff mostly jazz and blues (funny, as I have aged, and let my hair naturally grey, I get fewer and fewer calls for rock gigs).

I play 6-10 solo gigs a month which range from restaurant gigs, to art galleries to things like the upcoming Millpond Music Festival (at which I will be perfroming).

I might also point out that 99% of my playing is now on the TI AcousticCore strung Godins, as I have developed a rather severe allegic reaction to nickel. I am trying several therapies for this, but still cannot play any of my other basses for more than 30-45 min without developing some painful reactions. And, before you ask, yes I have tried SS strings. SS does contain nickel and at this point my system is so reactive to this metal that I simply have to avoid it.

Yey, I am able to cop a lot of varied tones with the TI strung Godins. I hardly miss the other basses (and have had some high $ offers for the P and Tobias!).

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

DR Hibeams 45-128 or TI flats (wierdo guages) on my Lulls. Dr Hibeams on my Fretless 5. Rotosound flats on my Dano Longhorn. The DRs are a little too hollow and bright right out of the box,but after the first boil they are just right. The TI flats usually go on the rosewood Lull (i go back and forth)and sound better the older they get. The Rotos are perfect for the Dano.

The DR hibeams can and have covered any electric bass music perfectly. I use the flats for recording anything that requires that sound. I also have a really dead set of DRs that works like the flats that I hang onto for the old school thump.

I really like the sound of Ernie Ball Slinkys right out of the box but they die on me right away and don't boil up right.

Originally posted by Max Valentino:

Being a Thomastik-Infeld endorsee, I use only their strings exclusively (and they ARE really fine strings!)

TI AcousticCores on my fretted and fretless Godins, as well as my Dean ABG, Taylor and Martin B1

TI Flats on the 67 P Bass and Lakland HB (which is only on loan)

TI PowerBass right now on the Epi Jack Casady Signature

TI Jazz Rounds on the MTD, Godin BG4, Tobias Classic, Fender Stu Hamm Urge and Deluxe Active J5

Max

Being an endorsing artist for TI, I also use TI's exclusively. In my case I use the TI Jazz Rounds. For my MTD 435's (one fretted and one fretless) I use the standard set of JR's but for my MTD 535 and MTD Saratoga (for sale, BTW) I have them make up a set that is E A D G and C.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about the JR's

Mike

Some strings I've been happy with:

Smith steels: for years, they were all I'd put on my Ric. (Not as big a fan of the B in the 5-string set, though. They're currently on my Yamaha.) Also put the Dean Markley "Will Lee" steels on the Ric a while back; tasty. Both kinds are good for copping that "Yes" sound.

Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats: on my Ric at present. Soft action, mellow, old-school tone, but very articulate. Nice. Great for playing Stax stuff (but only at home, in my case :( ).

D'Addario Slowounds, nickel: They make my 5-string Yamaha sound huge.

Believe it or not, I recently put a set of Fender flats on my Jazz bass. (I confess, I did it because I'd read that Dougie Thompson used to use flats, & I've always loved his tone.) They sound wonderful, and record beautifully.

I've got Smith Compressors on my fretless bass (Sterling). I do sometimes miss the sound of a true roundwound on a fretless, but I think these are an excellent compromise.

I play a pretty wide range of rock & popular styles on the fretless, Fender, & Yamaha basses. I like strings that will change character as I change my playing style & eq.

I had Thomastik Infeld Powerbass strings on my Jazz bass for quite while. I was satisfied with them; I liked them in a mix, but their stand-alone tone could get a bit nasal or clanky. Then again, that bass is naturally very, very bright. I think I might stick with flats on it.

I use D'Addario XL's. Cheap and good! If money was no object I like Ken Smith strings, but it is so the D'Addario's are just fine.

I play primarily Power-pop / Rock / Punk, but at home funk and blues always seem to be where I'm heading these days.

P.S.

Sucks about the allergy Max!

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I use Elixir nanoweb (45 - 105) on my Mike Lull P4V fretless.

I have GHS Boomer piccolo (.018 - .050) on my Modulus Q4 fretless at the moment. That bass usually has Elixir's on it like the bass above.

The Hamer 12-string has DR 'Bootzillas' for the low strings and GHS Boomer piccolo strings for the octave strings.

All other basses have DR 'Bootzillas' on them. They rule. Lots.

I play a wide variety of music and I fail to see what impact that would have on the type of strings I use. I use a particular type of string because it sounds good to me; regardless of the kind of music I happen to be playing.

Archived