Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Would you consider using BASS SAMPLES?

I am an ardent reader of studio and computer music mags. They usually come with free cd's full of Bass, drums, guitar, organ and piano samples/loops for use in the studio.

I listened to the bass samples, man, some superb licks...popping, slapping, 'thumbing'. :eek: These hundreds of samples last for a few seconds as they're meant to be used in loops.

I now know that most of the chart music comes from samples, which are joined together to make complete songs. The drumlines and rolls sound so live and real. :thu:

Would you consider using samples in your recordings, even though (like me) you are an accomplished musician yourself? I admit they are so tempting. :rolleyes:

NB: Man, Jamerson must have played some of these samples...I swear. Superb Funk and Soul licks. And better believe, they are all ROYALTY FREE! :confused: How come??

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are royalty free because of

either they are so short that they don't qualify

(there is some sort of regulation about the length of a sample..at a certain number of seconds, royalties must be paid)

or they were produced by someone in the magazine, not a famous player, and the disk is used as a promotion to get you to buy the magazine.

It's pretty doubtful that any of the samples are Jamerson, he's been dead for quite a long time.

Samples have their time and place, just as a live player has his or her time and place. It's just another tools for the job. It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing for a bass player to learn how samples are manipulated.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Samples have their time and place, just as a live player has his or her time and place. It's just another tools for the job. It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing for a bass player to learn how samples are manipulated.

Good point. I know good drummers who quit the business 15 years ago instead of taking 15 minutes to learn how to program a drum machine.

I'm not averse to programming but I've never been one for sampling. I prefer to create everything from scratch, even if it's a beat or lick that's been played before. However, I'm not a huge fan of programmed sounds so they tend to be more for demo purposes.

I wouldn't use bass samples or program bass because I can play something much better much quicker than I can program something. Better tone, better feel, better note choices etc.

If I could play every instrument to a sufficiently high level and had the facilities to record them, then I'd almost never do any programming. I prefer the true human feel.

Alex

My band encourages me to use samples except during tuning.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

After listening to the drum samples, I realised I could do the same job programming my own, even better. ;)

However, the tones and 'tightness' of these samples is amazing, especially if one doesn't have the actual acoustic drum kit. If/when I get my drum sounds software with all the 'real' feel and sounds, I'll do proper drum programming. :thu:

With bass however, I can play Reggae in my sleep. When it comes to hot Funk licks (slapping & popping), I just sleep! :D That's when I'd consider a few samples. :)

Jeremy, I'm aware Jamerson ain't with us, however, these guys know how to sample licks from any available songs. That's technology for you. :)

if you would like to experience bass sampling and programming at its very best, check out

http://www.celinder.com/

and go to references, then soundroom

all the demos on the right side were done with a sampled bass and midi programming... amazing, if you ask me.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

is this bass stuff actually played and recorded or is it just programmed?? If it is programmed its an amazingy close reproduction, you can even hear very slight string noise from the players hand moving around the neck.
THE ace of bass

from what i understand... there are no sampled phrases.. all notes and noises , such as string slides, thumps, fret noise, etc... quite impressive. the guy was a bassist and developed problems with his hands :(

i am somewhat familiar with samples, loops. etc.... but what he put together is an amazing performance, and the Celinder sounds like heaven.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Archived