Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Direct Box for Bass

doug osborne

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At any cost? Probably some kind of tube preamp - high end TL Audio stuff is lovely, or Studer - I used a Studer preamp to record a live set of mine at the LA Bass Exchange a couple of years ago - that sounded amazing. The Avalon Tube DI is pretty special too.

For recording, I use my Lexicon MPX-G2 at the preamp, and plug that into the soundcard via a Mackie 1402. Same rig I use for live stuff.

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

If you want a true direct box, you can't go wrong with a Countryman .

If you want something to record direct, some of my best recorded bass tones were done with a Summit TPA-200B . Those things are absolutely amazing with all their warm tubey goodness. They are also extremely expensive. It will cost you ~$2400 (last time I checked) to bring a new one home.

Max Valentino added a very good discussion of DI boxes, in the previous months. A search (plus half an hour to find the thread) will lead you to that discussion and there are many other comments in that thread
oops my signature dropped

Originally posted by titrek:

Max Valentino added a very good discussion of DI boxes, in the previous months. A search (plus half an hour to find the thread) will lead you to that discussion and there are many other comments in that thread

Yes, I found that thread, after more than a half-hour :cry: and I appreciate everyone's opinions. So far, from my research, the Radial does the least damage.

If you want clean then I second the Radial. I have a couple of the active ones; very clean and not hard on the wallet,

If you want color then the tube DIs are the way to go but I lot more cash for anything decent.

PS The Avalon U5 is class A. Do they make a tube model?

"I never would have seen it, if I didn't already believe it" Unknown

http://www.SongCritic.com

Archived