Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Homeland

bassdrummer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Born and raised in California, USA.

I spent several years in the Philippines, and my dad is Filipino.

I'm interested in finding out where you all consider your homeland. Is it where you live now? Is it where you were born? Is it where you grew up? Is it the country you most identify with?

Language comes into play too. What's your native language? Is it spoken where you live now?

In this poll, you can only vote for one choice. If you want to add an explanation, please post a reply! If you've been lurking but haven't posted much or at all, now's a good time to jump in. Just vote and tell where your homeland is.

:)

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Born in ireland moved to manchester, with some random stops between (cornwall, australia - melborne then manchester) i was only little then so it wasn't like i noticed.
"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

ooo, according to the poll results i'm the first Canadian so far :D !

Born and raised in the province of Quebec, lived both halves of my life in two different small towns that are half an hour away from each other!

Living in this province i have to speak French and English but my native tongue is English.

I consider Canada my homeland because i was born and raised here and almost all of my family members live here as well (except for some very extended family in Scotland,Ireland and the states).

peace

I'm in South FLA now, which is nothing like Detroit (where I was born/raised).

Major Culture Shock when I first arrived - an odd blend of East Coast Rock and Cuban/Latin influences. So very different from what I grew up with.

But, that's a good thing; No?

"Homeland" influences may differ/change from the "Local Culture" influences on a certain level, I might guess. I know I listen/hear things differently after being here for so many years.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

i currently live in california. i have lived in oklahoma, florida, and alabama. i consider oklahoma my home state. even though i was born in california. i have lived there for most of my life. it is where i got my values. i speak english and a little spanish. engish is my primary language.

i live in mississippi. it is certainly different than my home. i grew up in grand rapids, MI, which is on the other side of the state from detroit. i love it there and miss the snow.

mississippi is hot, but i also love it here. if it were closer to home, i would be much happier. the people are really nice and it's a beautiful place. did i mention it's too hot and never snows here? also, the leaves don't change colors in the fall.

robb.

I've lived in Northern California for over 30 years, but I was born and raised in Rhode Island.

Still am a New Englander at heart (this will be the year for the Red Sox), but I feel at home in California too.

Lived a few years in Michigan (Ann Arbor) and married a girl from Detroit so there's a little Michigander in me somewhere as well.

And as far as my ancestors, they left Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia) over 100 years ago because they were persecuted (my great-grandfather was killed in a race riot), and no one in my family considers the places that they lived to be a native land in any way, shape or form.

Born in Detroit of parents who were children in the Depression. My grandparents both came up to Detroit for work. Dad's parents came from the "deep, dark hills of Eastern Kentucky," while mom's came from Little Rock.

Lived in Detroit and Warren until dad decided to go to school and become a pastor. Grades 3-7 were here in Arlington, Texas.

Moved back to central Michigan, little town of Freeland (near Saginaw) for HS...just in time to catch my beloved Tigers win the World Series (yeah Mickey Lolich!)

Even though I had a full scholarship to ANY Michigan university, Mom wanted me to come here to Arlington to get a year of "grounding" in bible college.

I started playing bass and never went back...eventually learning URB, becoming an orchestra director and marrying a Texan.

I don't even look back to Michigan wistfully...well, maybe sometimes I do.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Born in Indiana with strong ties to the family home--Ayrshire, Scotland. So I speak English and Scotch.

Home is Central Florida. Thirty two years. It's a small world after all, it's a sma........sorry, that sometimes happens from the exposure.

"Study, study, study...or BONK BONK bad kids!"

Originally posted by bubbaupright:

"It's a small world after all, it's a sma"........sorry, that sometimes happens from the exposure.

Thanks Bubba - after 2 years of working to lose it, I've got the Disney Ear Worm back.

:eek:

:cool:

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I seem to be the only latinamerican so far. Born in Mexico of a Mexican-german mother and a mexican father, I was raised in Mexico and in Kansas ;) . I lived in Wichita (KS), San Antonio (TX), L.A. and several places in Brazil before migrating to Europe. I live in Switzerland married to a Swiss since 8 years ago, quite active musically; but this is not a place a non-swiss could ever really call a homeland... :rolleyes:

"If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn"

Charlie Parker

New York/Long Island for 18 years now.

Hopefully I will be moving to more peaceful area (a fewer taxes :) ) after college and when I marry my girlfriend :love:

...awwww :D

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

I reside in the panhandle of Texas...Amarillo, to be precise. It's a mix of The Great Plains and the Southwestern Desert. Grew up in the Pacific Northwest. I've lived all over the U.S. in between, and toured a good portion of the globe.

BTW, it's not "you all", it's "y'all"...at least down here. :D:D:D

Later..................

Originally posted by 61Pbass:

BTW, it's not "you all", it's "y'all"...at least down here. :D:D:D

Egads! Y'all are right!

Ahem....so where y'all from?

:D

--Rush, "Limelight"

Rhino Rob -- my wife's a singer.......she doesn't take too kindly to your signature!

It's okay though, 'cause I told her it's really a drummer joke with the word "singer" substituted for "drummer."

:rolleyes:

--Rush, "Limelight"

Born and raised in Seattle, Washington. I went to college here (University of Washington) and now I continue to live here. I fear change... OK, not really, I just like it here.

My father's side of the family is German while my mother's is an interesting mix of Scottish and Norwegian. Jah shur yuuu betcha I'll have another Glenfiddich.

Born and raised on Long Island, NY.

Joined Marines went all over the world, mostly stationed in California.

After USMC moved up to San Francisco, lived there for 3 years.

Moved back to Long Island to be with family.

I played some instrument at all times throught these periods, mostly acoustic guitar especially when I was in the USMC.

I took some classes on classical guitar at CCSF, and thats about all the formal music training I have, except for the bass lessons I take now.

Peace, everyone!

PS- I really miss the bay area, and I pay extra special attention to all the posts from Bay Area Bassists. Hey that would make a cool name for a club, no? Hehe well, maybe not... :D

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

I've lived in 4 different cities (or villages on a global scale ;) ), all here in Finland , none of which have any significance to speak of. Well maybe the current one - Hämeenlinna - as the great classical composer Janne "Jean" Sibelius was born here. I've lived here for about 13 years, and consider it to be my home town.

As for my native language, it's Finnish, and it's still going strong (at least in Finland - it isn't spoken anywhere else in the world). Swedish is also an official language here, but isn't spoken that often outside the coastal areas. I speak it, but not nearly as well as English (which is said to be the 3rd official language of Finland).

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

I trace my roots to the great State of Iowa, where I lived the first 18 years of my life near Des Moines. Somehow my wife convinced me to move to Oklahoma after college in northeast Missouri (go TSU!). 9 years later I'm still in Tulsa.

My only functional language is English. I had no accent (as far as Johnny Carson and fellow midwesterners are concerned) until I moved to Oklahoma. Now when I go back to Iowa, or visit my parents who have migrated to Minnesota, I hear a bit of twang.

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Matt W:

9 years later I'm still in Tulsa.

Next to the Walmart or the 5,000-seat mega-church? :D

I'm a first generation American.

I was born in New Jersey.

First couple of years of my life, I lived in northern NJ, spent a year in Florida, 3 months with family in Brasil, and then back NJ. I grew up on the NJ shore - beach country.

I went to school in NJ. I still live in NJ.

And I don't have no friggin' accent. ;)

I barely survive with English, forget about French or Italian or Spanish or Portuguese. However, I know how to order food and wine in the languages listed above, which means I can function in most of Europe.

Born in Philly.

Specifically, I was born in East Falls, which is the neighborhood where Women's Medical Hospital can be found.

Raised in Philly.

I started out living in the center of town - 13th and Pine, to be exact.

Suburbs.

My parents moved a little further from the heart of things (Elkins Park) when I was around three years old. Elkins Park is about one mile from the Philadelphia county border.

Back In The City.

When I was 10, my mom got a job working for the city of Philly, so we had to move a mile back into the city limits, to a neighborhood called West Oak Lane. I lived there until I was 18, when I moved to Germantown.

Burbs Again.

My wife and I bought our first home in my ancestral neighborhood of Elkins Park two years ago.

We both talk American. Or, rather, we speak Fluffian. If you're from the Philly area, you know how to pronounce that word. We are not big Iggles fans, but we do enjoy spending time down the shore.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by getz76:

Originally posted by Matt W:

9 years later I'm still in Tulsa.

Next to the Walmart or the 5,000-seat mega-church? :D

First generation American, eh. If I had lived in the town my father grew up in, I would have been the 6th generation in the same county.

- Matt W.

Archived