Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Homeland

bassdrummer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Matt W:

First generation American, eh. If I had lived in the town my father grew up in, I would have been the 6th generation in the same county.

Wow! 6-generations in the same county?

Since age 18, I haven't lived in the same county for more than 2 years. I'll make a 3rd year in Hudson County this coming year, though.

However, down where I grew up (the NJ shore), most people settle there and never move. Of the 450 kids I graduated high-school with, I'd say at least 90% are still living within 10 or 15 miles of my home town. I'd imagine it's an even higher percentage in the Heartland.

USA.

Grew up in NYC, school in NH then RI (w/ one year in lovely Bologna, Italy), first "real" jobs in NC, then to IL for grad school and work, next to...

Nice things about everywhere I've lived.

Both parents born here (mom in PA, dad in NJ). Mom's parents were Czech immigrants who worked a farm in western PA and gramps also did the coal mine thang. I never met them. Dad's parents are African-American, with African, Caribbean (Dominican and Cuban, I believe), Portuguese, and Irish roots.

I like to think of myself as a world citizen. :D

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Born Columbus, GA. Raised Dothan, AL. Graduated Henry Clay High School, Lexington, KY, 1990. Graduated University of Alabama, 1996. Since Tuscaloosa: Biloxi, MS (ugh); Rome, GA; Ft. Walton Beach, FL; Tucson, AZ; and Orange Beach, AL.

On my way back out to the high desert of Arizona in ONE WEEK. Couldn't be happier. The desert is the only place I've really felt at home since I left home.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Raised in AZ, moved to NYC.

That made for a change.

Going back to AZ someday...

Homeland is where ever you hang your hat, IMO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted by 61pbass:

BTW, it's not "you all", it's "y'all"...at least down here.

--------------------

I had learned this as, "when addressing one person, it's y'all. When addressing a group it's "all y'all"."

Is this still correct? ;)

Peace

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

As I have learned it in Oklahoma:

Y'all is the singular and plural.

As I learned it from a Mississippian:

Y'all is singular. "Hey y'all, It's supper time."

All y'all is imperative. "All y'all better get yo a** the the table

61Pbass, what rules do y'all play by in Amarilla?

- Matt W.

My Homeland? USA

I'm about 1/20th American Indian

Parts of my family have been here for about 300 years. Others came over no later than 100 years ago, some were even endentured servants. My other ethnicity covers most of Europe (we get around). I'm married (almost 2 years) to a woman born in El Salvador, that came here when she was 12, and became a citizen 3 years ago. I grew up in a primarily Spanish speaking community (I speak very little Spanish). So my homeland is definatly the USA.

I have only lived in 2 towns in my life, 2 miles apart. I live in Hudson County, NJ. I'm fairly close to Getz in Hoboken, and a few others in Jersey City (where I work). Hudson County is as close to Manhattan you can get, as a matter of fact, I could be most places in The City quicker than if I lived there.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Originally posted by wraub:

I had learned this as, "when addressing one person, it's y'all. When addressing a group it's "all y'all"."

Is this still correct? ;)

Peace

When addressing one person, it's YOU. "Y'all" is never, never, never singular. To drop some grammar on you, "y'all" is a contraction of "you all." Hell, I went to public school in Alabama, and even I know better'n to call one person "y'all." What's the matter with y'all? All y'all? This means YOU! :D

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Hi there!

Long time, no see!

As stated on the line below, I live in a little village called Sandefjord in Norway.

It's known worldwide as the hometown for all scandinavian whalers! Though I don't support whaling!

Have a nice day (and night!) :thu:

Helge

I've lived in Rome, Italy, for 19 years now.

I lived in northern Italy, before, in a small region called Liguria, in a small city called Chiavari, 40 kilometers from Genoa, Christopher Columbus's hometown.

I was born in another small town round there, Sestri Levante, from where in the 19th Century a dozen families left for the USA and shortly after founded the city of Santa Cruz, CA.

I'm of pure Ligurian-Celtic root.

www.myspace.com/fabrizioruggiero

www.myspace.com/vanalientribute

Who are we? People.

Where do we come from? Home.

Where are we going to? Home.

Born in Mid Michigan. Now I live in a Southeast Detroit suburb. I'm proud of my city, but I'm gettin ready to move on. I have eczema really bad and the climate here is starting to make it impossible to hang thru winter anymore. :cry:

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Also born and raised mid-Michigan (Shiawassee County), now live in Metro-Detroit.

Have lived in Europe for 10 years in total, and also various places around the US (San Francisco, Richmond Virginia, Tucson AZ, and Gainesvlle FL (University of Florida, BS Comp Sci)) among other places.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Originally posted by Matt W:

As I have learned it in Oklahoma:

Y'all is the singular and plural.

As I learned it from a Mississippian:

Y'all is singular. "Hey y'all, It's supper time."

All y'all is imperative. "All y'all better get yo a** the the table

61Pbass, what rules do y'all play by in Amarilla?

in mississippi, don't forget that plural possesive is "y'all's" instead of what there's already a word to describe: "your".

61PBass is probably working on his windows and car at this point -- Amarillo got hit by massive hail yesterday.

robb.

Born in New York City, been a resident of Jersey City, NJ for the last dozen years. I've traveled and lived throughout about half of the US in my time and understand why any of you would be proud to be from such a diverse and rich country like this one, it just simply takes your breath away when you take it all in.

In defense of my choice to live within commuting distance of the Big Apple, I respectfully offer this analysis from Eva Gabor, who sang this verse from "Green Acres" (currently in TV-syndication):

(sung with a Hungarian accent)

"No, New York is where I'd rather stay,

I get allergic smelling hay,

I just adore that penthouse view,

Dahling I love you, but give me Park Avenue."

:D

Ethnicity...mother's side Ukrainian...dad's side German/Welsh...probably some Jewish ancestry on dad's side...never raised in that faith.

Born in Washington D.C...lived til the age of 12 in eastern Virginia...Arlington til age 7...Colonial Beach from 7-12.

Moved to southeastern Michigan at 12 (Port Huron). Lived there til 1987...moved with family to Tallahassee Florida...finished up a degree.

Moved to Valdez, Alaska for 2 1/2 years...then Anchorage for 2 1/2 years.

Settled in the Kansas City area in 95.

Place I miss most of all...Colonial Beach, Virginia.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Born in Leicester, UK. (Nearly born in Kirbymuxlow - which would have been more fun). Moved to Southampton early in life. Lived in Alexandria, Egypt for a couple of years and attended an American School. Now between brief flits to London and back (the longest lasting 3 years) I've been in the UK.

I always wear a hat, so I always have me home on my head. :)

Toupé - www.toupe.co.uk

2Bass Players - One drummer - No guitar - NO RULES!

I was born and I grew in Ankara, Turkey. I think I am one of those rare middle easterners (if it is right to say) in the forum. (in fact turkey is at an odd location in terms of naming, a small part in europe, the bigger part in asia not.)

and also I am the only vote from asia. (living in asia minor/anatolia)

oops my signature dropped

Born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana - I do believe they are having the 2005 NAAM show there next year! I had long stops in DC, Columbus and Atlanta Georgia, Myrtle Beach, Las Vegas and now Providence, RI.

We may be moving to central Florida soon, so beware JBFLA and Bubbaupright.

Born and raised in a little area just outside Glasgow called Busby. i've never lived anywhere outside this area, but that will prob change after 1st year at University(when my parents throw me out the house :) )

Much Love :thu:

Phoney

"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

Archived