Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name ONE bassist you'd invite home for dinner.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macca for me.

I've never had dinner with a famous bassist but did one time go for a few beers with Jean Jaques Burnell of The Stranglers (and also Hugh Cornwell the guitarist and main songwriter). JJB was a very bright, personable guy despite his reputation. I'm not big into The Stranglers' music but people who are really seem to rate his bassplaying, which is simple but effective with a really characteristic crunchy sound.

(Since JJB was playing in a "punk" band, ie a band making a stand against technique and polish, I asked him who his favourite bassplayers were. In my naivete I expected him to namecheck some youngsters who were all aggression and minimal technique. "Charlie Mingus and Stanley Clarke", he replied :) ).

• 9 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread with one more name...

Nate Kizerian AKA 7 string bass freak.

Just found his profile on myspace, he's on my friend's list now! yeah! Anyway, this guy rocks, check out his songs on myspace.

Nate

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

no, not John Patitucci, he is a native american.

i heard so circa three or four years ago a solo CD where this italian bassist plays fretless like Jaco, but with his own stile, very, very virtuoso and fluent. Then i read an article that he relocated from Italy to NY... ?????

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

i think i have him, his name is

Saturnino Celani

http://www.saturnino.org/clima.html

http://www.bassinside.com/2002/august/saturnino.htm

but i'm not 100% sure yet, there are no CD with samples at amazon...

OK, it's definitely him, the CD i heard was "Testa Di Basso"

He is invited.

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

Victor Wooten... if only because I met him twice before and know he wouldn't make an a**hole out of himself in front of my family.

...and if it weren't for the whole wife thing, Greta 'bass godess' Brinkman. I had the pleasure of hanging out with her in New Orleans and she was a total lady (sweet as could be) with 1001 interesting stories about her treks in NY and Europe.

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

Mark Hoppus (Blink 182)

http://www.musicgearreview.com/dbpix/fenderhoppus.jpg

or

Chris wolstenholme (Muse)

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fallingmuse/chris/c7.jpg

both seem to be really fun and interesting people, though maybe not the most influential bassists, they certainly would be fun and interesting. I had the opportunity to meet and speak with Chris Woltseinholm in september at a Muse concert, man, those guys are cool.

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

I'de invite our own Jeremy Cohen because my wife thinks he's "Just so damn cute!" and I could pick his brain for awhile.

She used to think I was cute . . . :(

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Abraham Laboriel.

Awesomely talented and a really nice guy. I met him a number of years ago at a concert he did with Ron Kenoli. Would love to have time to talk with him and perhaps even get a private lesson.

BTW, I also got to meet Justo Amario and Chester Thompson at that concert. They were also class acts.

Probably Geddy Lee...the man is amazing...plays incredible bass, plays incredible keyboard stuff, and sings (and well). Amazing.

If he wasn't available, Robert Trujillo would be someone on the list, as well as Mother's Finest's bassist (although I can't recall his name right now). Victor Wooten would certainly be on the list as well.

And Neil Peart, even though he's not a bassist. This guy was a MAJOR musical influence on me in my formative years.

Jeremy and Adrian already have open invites to hook up with me if they're ever in Raleigh. I'll extend that to the rest of you as well...if any of you bass brothers are ever in Raleigh, NC, don't hesitate to look me up!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Steve Harris.

The reason I started playing bass...

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Dan Andriano. No contest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/bigkahauna855/danbass.jpg

but the person i really want to invite is a drummer...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/bigkahauna855/chewie.bmp

:D:D:D

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

I'll answer in 2 categories:

Interesting Bassists to exchange notes with(and by exchange notes I mean them telling me everything they know):

Justin Chancellor-TOOL

Chris Wolstenholme-Muse

Victor Wooten- Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Dream Bass Dates:

Nadja Puelen- ex Coal Chamber, Cypress Hill

Melissa Auf Der Maur-ex-Hole, Smashing Pumpkins

I like when things go boom...

Gord -B

Scott Thunes was one of the first bass players that really got it across to me that its all right to use a pick

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now repeat after me...

"I WILL use my fingers."

"I WILL use my fingers."

"I WILL use my fingers."

"I WILL use my fingers."

:D ~jk

Dr. Sweet Willie -

I need to get my hands on some of Whappo's homemade ice cream

You've not lived until you've tasted my home made "Sweet Summer Black and Raspberry Delight" ice cream. YUM! I also make a pumpkin ice cream that tastes just like pumpkin pie. I so can't wait for it to be 80 degrees again.........

:)

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Archived