Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

have any of ya'll ever played with a turntablist?

have any of ya'll ever played/jammed/what have you with a turntablist/DJ/what have you?

it seems like it would be interesting and maybe challenging in a refreshing way

i imagine it would be like jamming with a drummer while playing bass..... sort of... like the DJ would be cutting you out beats to groove over and such

and in a fuller band setting i imagine it would just be even wilder

so, anybody have any experience with this? i havent, but im interested in the subject

peaces :thu:

P.S.-two songs that i think, if they are not already classic beats for DJs to scrath, then they should be>>> 1) 'when the levee breaks', zeppelin... 2) 'sergeant peepers (the reprise one)', los beatles

dope!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been jamming with a turntablist recently, it can work really well.

We have drums, bass, guitar and turntables - what usually happens is that the DJ starts off a record, and we start improvising over the top. Then he fades out the track, and we continue playing whatever beat / riff we've got going.

Then he picks out an acapella vocal record, and starts plaing that over the top of us jamming. It usually sounds really good, and can be a great way of coming up wth new songs!

The band Liquid Soul does this quite well.

I had an experience once where my band shared a gig with rapper and DJ. We were supposed to take turns, but we ended up diggin each others stuff so much it turned into the never ending groove.

However, the DJ wasn't playing beats and such. He let us take care of that, but he was pulling out scratches, squelches, and orchestra hits and such.

He had some funny voice over stuff goin on too.

The rapper guy was insane, this guy spit out so much information. Its a talent all in its own, similar to beatniks.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

I played with DJ for a while. I played bass and keys. When you play certain styles of music you are required to play certain roles. The same holds true very much for this situation as well, or else it can sound cheezy. We mainly both improvised, but played quite a few raves. The particular style was Jungle so there was lots of Reggae influences.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

I played with some DJs in the past.

It's pretty much a good time as long as the DJ works with the rest of the music and not against it.

Just like any other musician.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I've never jammed with a turntablist yet but I love what can happen. I know DJ Logic works great with Medeski, Martin, and Wood sometimes. (My buds are seeing them at Purchase University tonight!)

Deftones have a turntablist.

I missed a really good show recently of a band from Boulder, CO M.F.A.- Motion For Alliance web page

Live drum and bass combined with other technology. I've been digging into the drum and bass lately.

"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

"P.S.-two songs that i think, if they are not already classic beats for DJs to scrath, then they should be>>> 1) 'when the levee breaks', zeppelin... 2) 'sergeant peepers (the reprise one)', los beatles"

The Beastie Boys, among others, have used "When the Levee Breaks". It's on Licensed To Ill, IIRC.

I am also pretty sure that "Sergeant Pepper's" shows up on Paul's Boutique along with a couple of other Beatles tunes...

Originally posted by Jimbroni:

The band Liquid Soul does this quite well.

Yes they do! I haven't met a lot of people who know of Liquid Soul. I like their stuff quite a bit, in the right mood. Good call. :thu:

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived