Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why did you choose to be a bass player?

frontlinebass

My father used to play bass in the early 60's, especially on cruiser boats in the Mediterranean.

In 1989 he bought a used bass for his own leisure. At that time I was playing drums and knew the basic guitar chords, but my brother was already getting better than me at playing drums, so I switched to bass because it was SO natural.

Thanks, Dad (R.I.P.).

www.myspace.com/fabrizioruggiero

www.myspace.com/vanalientribute

Who are we? People.

Where do we come from? Home.

Where are we going to? Home.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I arm wrestled for it. I started with banjo but our bluegrass circle had several. The only bass player gigged a lot; there was a URB in the corner but nobody could play it for more than 3-4 minutes at a time with enough volume to be heard over the banjos and fiddles. After some handshakes and arm wrestles it was determined that I had the strongest grip, so I was drafted. The kicker is that I got lots of instruction because about half of the dozen odd pickers could play bass but wouldn't. Too much work! I still play banjo some, but everyone thinks of me as a bassman, including me.

www.ethertonswitch.com

Well... when I was in junior high school I was going nuts teaching myself how to play as many instruments as I could. I usually learned an instrument simply through opportunity. I already knew the clarinet and the piano. My junior high band director asked me to learn the sax, so I did. The next year I found a school-owned bassoon in the instrument room, so I decided to learn that. In between I taught myself the trumpet. Then I found a really old classical guitar in my grandmother's closet, and I taught myself to play that.

Of course, once I learned how to play guitar, I had to start listening to rock & roll. That's when a friend introduced me to Rush. Before I heard Rush, I wasn't really even aware of the bass as an instrument distinct from the other guitars, because most of what I heard had the bass buried in the background. But the combination of playing bassoon and occassional baritone sax had already given me an affinity for the low end. Hearing Geddy Lee sealed the deal for me.

I was determined to be a bass player.

Unfortunately it took me a few years to get a bass. It sucks to be at the age where your parents still have to buy everything for you, and they won't buy you a bass! I was 19 when I finally bought my own bass, a cheap red Hondo. I've had several better basses since then, and I've never looked back.

Easy-to get the chicks! :D

Seriously, as a wee tot I heard some groovy music while listening with my mom, and eventually I figured out that the grooviest part was often the bass part. It was natural from there...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived