Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey Any Webcasters Out There Heard About This?

If there are. Have any of you folks heard about this? http://www.copyright.gov/carp/webcasting_rates_final.html I am sure we'd all like to hear some opinions on it. I am checking it out via a link provided from the following webcaster. http://www.bumpNgrindrecords.com So the long arm of greed has finally reached in the Internet Music biz. RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think most webcasters are very aware of this. This is the death-knell for independent Internet Radio. Even though we had separate arrangements with our local copyright organization, we will shortly be pulling our caribbean-oriented service off the air. Check it out while it lasts: [url=http://www.triniradio.com]www.triniradio.com[/url]

I admit to being ignorant about the history of this decision except for what I have read here but I can't seem to get worked up about this. It would seem to me that the decision means that internet broadcasters must pay royalties just like their non digital counterparts. It certainly does change the nature of the game but to me it means that internet broadcasters are now forced to generate income to pay for the cost of using copyrighted material, like non digital broadcasters do. I guess I do not see why the owners of copyrighted material should subsidize the growth of internet radio.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

[quote]Originally posted by gtrmac: [b]I admit to being ignorant about the history of this decision except for what I have read here but I can't seem to get worked up about this. It would seem to me that the decision means that internet broadcasters must pay royalties just like their non digital counterparts. [/b][/quote]Sorry, you're wrong. Traditional radio stations DO NOT pay royalties to record labels. Over-the-air radio stations have historically had to pay royalties to composers (in total, about 3% of revenues, via ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC), but not to the record companies or artists, as Congress felt that those parties benefited sufficiently from the promotional value of radio airplay. The RIAA is trying to make the argument that there is no promotional value to Intenet broadcasts and that they affect CD sales. Full story [url=http://www.saveinternetradio.org/90seconds.asp]here.[/url] Much of the Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel's (CARP) rate structure was based on a $5 billion deal struck between Yahoo and Broadcast.com in July 2000. Former Broadcast.com exec Mark Cuban has admitted that the deal struck between Yahoo and the RIAA was expressly desgined to stifle competition from smaller webcasters. Details [url=http://www.kurthanson.com/]here.[/url] Our station is a commercial entity. We already have an exsisting deal with our local copyright organization based on a percentage of revenue. Even though we are located outside of the US and play non-traditional music, under this deal we will have to find close to a million dollars US to make retroactive payments to an organization that doesn't even represent the majority of artists on our playlist. Sorry, we don't make that kind of money and traditional broadcasters are not being asked to pay anything close to this.

Posterchild: Webcasts refer to streaming audio, not mp3's. If you are the author and copyright owner, you can post your tunes however you wish. I believe this law is trying to clarify perceived loopholes in internet radio and royalty collection. It would be a shame to lose such a valuable promotional tool IMHO.

[b] [quote] If you stream any kind of music audio -- regardless of the source -- do you need to pay up? And how the heck would this be enforced overseas? [/b] [/quote]My guess is, it would be impossible to enforce. Just like when Napster died - it grew several different heads. Once the technology is out there, there's no way to effectively fight it. Maybe they can press for royalties with the big netcasters like groovetech, but so far as the smaller ones, I think there are too many to be policed. Can anyone else offer a guess?

[quote]The RIAA is trying to make the argument that there is no promotional value to Intenet broadcasts and that they affect CD sales.[/quote]Ok, after reading the other articles I am beginning to get a picture. I don't see how the first claim can be true. How can Internet broadcasts not have any promotional value. Maybe [i]less[/i], but none? This is smokescreen to me. The real issue seems to be the perceived threat of exact digital copies once more. Well I guess Internet broadcasters are an indirect victim of the file sharing crowd in some way. The record companies can't stop illegal file sharing so they are attacking Internet broadcasters instead. The mega-broadcasters obviously have a hand in this too. As for the second part it also seems pretty rediculous. One could argue that radio has hurt the sales of recordings since day one using the same logic. I'm beginning to feel differently about this whole issue. So someone please fill me in. Are Internet broadcasters now paying the same composer royalties for airplay as radio stations and this is an additional cost?

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

[quote]Originally posted by gtrmac: [b]So someone please fill me in. Are Internet broadcasters now paying the same composer royalties for airplay as radio stations and this is an additional cost?[/b][/quote]Yes. However, the problem is that most of these arrangements are percentage-of-revenue based and most Internet broadcasters don't have enough revenue coming in.

[quote] Yes. However, the problem is that most of these arrangements are percentage-of-revenue based and most Internet broadcasters don't have enough revenue coming in. [/quote]Yeah, no kidding. What revenue? They also don't get the kicked-down payola from promo co.'s like air-radio does. Bush's new head of the FCC is trying to remove even more of the ownership rules for media outlets, making the world safer for Clear Channel Comm. to own goddamn everything. Ya know, it's funny.. hyper-capitalism sure looks a lot like Communism. You'll get CCC on your radio, and a Wal-Mart to do your shopping in. 'bout it. Don't miss- June, 2018! World War IV Steel Cage Deth Match Semi-Finals!! CCC vs. Wal-Mart!! -and- AOL/Time Warner vs. ABC/Disney!! w00p

[quote] [b]it's funny.. hyper-capitalism sure looks a lot like Communism [/b] [/quote]Word :thu: What would we do without our MS, AOL, GAP, Home Depot, WalMart, et al? So much for Mom and Pop shops...we're all slaves to convenience; homogeny. You'll find as much consumer diversity in Cuba.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b] HEY! Are you the Radio Trinidad that plays Soca on live365.com? That's my favorite internet station!!!! I have clicked on the Buy Here icon because of what I've heard there.[/b][/quote]If you mean Triniradio, that's us. Glad you like it! Don't know if we can keep going though - we're waiting to see what Live365 can come up with.

Archived