Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dumb question about samples and triggering them

Okay, I'm starting to want to focus some energy on sound design again. Haven't done it for years. Problem is, technology just marched right along while I was at the hot dog cart...so now, I'm lost about the methods these days. Here's what I've got: Powerbook G3/400 (Pismo), stuffed to the nads with RAM. OS 9.1 FW, USB. DECK 3.0.1 good ol' SoundEdit 16 (still love this prog) Roland XP-80 then there's all my FInal Cut Pro, Adobe shit, etc. Oh, and my old DAT machine. Tons of mics. What do I need in order to be able to futz with samples, and trigger them with the Roland, or hell, even my old Alesis HR-16? Make them into loops? Time-stretch? Play them? I've tried catching up one what's the shit these days, but my brain shuts off after one or two of those catchy names, like Reason, Fruity Loops, etc. Do I even know what the hell I'm talking about? Probably not, but I'm trying to wade through this maze of technological buffalo shit so that I don't become a REALLY crusty old sonofabitch before it's time. I wanna play, dammit...all you kids have way cooler toys than I did when I was your age (whoohoo...KORG M1...klunk). harumph. double harumph.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you more interested in Software samplers or outboard gear? (or both?) The new AKAI Z4 Z8 and MPC 4000 allow you to run their outboard sampler/sequencers from a computer using their ak.Sys program via USB, for example. One route is to go backwards: Shop some libraries, and when you've found ones you like, note what formats they support (Such as Roland, E-MU and AKAI...) then you can have an idea where your machine/software hunt should go. Speaking of good libraries, you might want to browse these guys: [url=http://www.spectrasonics.net/]Click Here[/url]

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

i have a similar setup (iBook, Cubase5, Peak, MPC2000) step 1:get sounds in. either get some cd's like Stone mentioned, or get an audio interface. tascam has a couple of inexpensive ones, and that m-box seems pretty nice. step 2: connect internal to external. i use a midiman 2x2 usb. two midi ins, two outs. i don't know Deck at all, but i'd think you would want to use [i]it[/i] as your sequencer, not the workstation or drum machine. either way, there's a great vst drum sampler called Battery that you could load your tweaked sounds into and trigger from wherever. i use a free no-frills vst drum sampler called Loop-A-Zoid. 4 outs, no filters. Reason/Rebirth/Recycle, are great, but i don't use them. check out propellerhead.com for demos.

Deck, in and of itself, isn't a sequencer; it's got someting called Metro (which I assume is a sequncer) attached to it, but I've never had occasion to use it. Simply multitrack. I would want to be able to trigger things with the XP-80, so software-based sampler would be the way for me at the moment. I can't afford any gear purchases outside of maybe a small midi to USB or FW convertor. As for I/O, right now I'm using a Mackie 1402 vlz for all audio; don't have a FW box or such. I guess I'd want to be able to load sounds via CD or audio I/O, mess with them, then play them back via Roland, and assign them to midi tracks. Some time ago, I had StudioVisionPro, but never got it to work, and the software keys are either missing or used up (from floppy) due to hard drive crashes, so I got hosed, there.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

It really depends what you want to do with it. If the samples are for instrumental playing, (e.g. creating and playing a string orchestra sample) you need a traditional sampler (hard or soft) with envelopes, LFO's etc. If you want to do loops, sound beds and crazy stuff like that.... the major sequencers have will let you do that though they are not as intuitive as something Loop software like Acid and Ableton's Live. However sequencers and loop software will not allow you to create keymaps and multisamples lika traditional sampler (e.g. E4) That is to say you can't call you favorite clarinet player in, record a few notes, and start playing the electronic clarinet..mapped across your keyboard. Live will trigger loops from midi keystrokes so theoretically you could play a set by triggering the samples from your XP80. I use acid to create, time stretch and arrange the samples. I use wavelab and soundforge to do the detailed hardcore editing (cut paste process cut paste). The only downside is that Acid does not support midi note-on's yet. You gotta click and drag to arrange. So I expect to get Live soon. Craig did a review of it and there was some discussion on this board about it, if you do a word search on Ableton you should be able to find it. Their may be other products out there with Live's feature set, but I am not aware of any. I think that real-time MIDI triggering (as in an MPC, or a rack sampler or something like Live) is the most intuitive way to work with samples. It becomes a jam session rather than a dry, cut and paste game. Dunno if this is what you were looking for. Jerry :)

Archived