Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Phil, please sell me on the DIGIMAX.

I know you love your Presonus Digimax. Please give me a short summary of why. They are not too transparent, right? 8 channels, Litepipe, limiters, etc. I mostly want for drums and occasionaly vocals. Good for those purposes? Thanks! BTW all comments are welcome, I just know that Phil uses it (and I value his opinion), so I picked on him.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matt, I had one a long time ago, but I don't anymore. I still have a (modified) MP20 though... When I only had a single AW4416, the Digimax was a essential tool because I needed the extra preamps when tracking basic tracks. They work very well for that. But when I added a second AW, I really no longer had the need for it since I could use the preamps from both AW's to feed the tracks of a single AW. Plus, I wanted a [i]variety[/i] of different preamps for different tonal options. You'll notice I said that I DID add another Presonus preamp, which should speak well for what I think of them. They're fairly transparent, although you can get a more "warm" tone with the IDSS control on the MP20. I definitely prefer the sound of Jensen transformers, but replacing the trannies on a Digimax might be difficult... although it wasn't very hard on the MP20. Anyway, the Digimax is a good choice for someone with lightpipe equipped gear (such as a Digi 001, RME card or AW4416) who needs a lot of channels of mic preamps that sound good but don't cost a ton of money per channel. IMO, they're by far the best sounding of the budget mic preamps... the only other thing I like (on the "cheap" side) is the Joemeek VC3Q's, which are a bit more of a "special use" type preamps / channel strip, as opposed to the more "general use" nature of the Presonus stuff. Of course, the "best budget preamp" title may change soon if FMR finally starts shipping the RNMP... but that's not going to have lightpipe outputs. There's other companies coming out with 8 channel mic preamps with lightpipe outputs... for example, the new Focusrite Octopre should be available RSN, if it's not already shipping. Although I'm of the opinion that the Presonus stuff sounds better than the Platinum series Focusrite stuff, you may want to check it out and decide which of them sounds better to your ears.

Thanks Phil! As always, your opinion is well received. I was looking at the new Octopre (Focusrite), doesn't have real connectors, just D-sub. Oh well, it's not that much more, but then the ADAT outs are optional... Thanks again.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

I'm not Phil, but I do have the Digimax and really enjoy it. I use it in conjunction with my Echo Mona interface and it works like a champ! The pres are very clean and the limiters are actually quite nice and transparent. For the price I doubt you can find better pre's, let alone built-in A/D converters and lightpipe output! BTW, I'm no audio snob by any means, but I will say that I've been very dissapointed with Focusrite's low end stuff. I tried a Tone Factory once it was just terrible. My $80 audio buddy preamp actually was less noisy and cleaner sounding :eek: .

Thanks for the info. As I said, I was open to anyone's comments, but I knew Phil had one. Thanks again - for the heads up on the Focusrite too. Peace.

I bought a Presonus BlueTube last week. I took it back 3 days later. It sounded awful! Thin, harsh, and trebly. I sure hope the Digimax sounds better 'cause Im looking into getting the LT version.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

I also had a Blue Tube for about 10 minutes. The one I had emitted a buzz at about 1KHz no matter where we put it; through a Furman or not. I think that and the Bellari MP105 should be illegal to sell in the US (or anywhere else). I expect the other PreSonus gear is WAY better, or else they'd be out of business.

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

I have three Digimax'es. Presonus is supposed to be retrofitting them for 96k any day now (they are still with me...). I've used them mostly for live multitracking, and I have no complaints. Mine were ordered with the [b]dsub>xlr [/b] dongle, cuz I only use AES, and that works out well for me. They tend to be a teeny bit harsh in the 2~2.5kHz region. If you do a search going back a year or so on Roger's forum, you'll find lots of user responses.

Archived