Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mike Dirnt P-Bass

73 P Bass

I doesn't say Mike Dirnt on it anywhere, does it?

Considering that most of the people with whom I play have never even heard of Green Day (or if they have, have never listened to them or know who Mr. Dirnt is), I don't think that I would have any problem bringing that bass to a gig.

It looks good to me.

I even live in Berkeley, just up the street from 924 Gilman St. where Green Day got their start and I've never listened to them (other than having to teach teenagers how to play Longview).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't beleive it when Fender came out with this thing. It was exactly what I'd wanted to build myself! Tele-style P bass with split-coil? And MIJ? Sign me up.

As long as it has nothing related to Mike Dirnt stamped on it, I'd take one in a heartbeat. Especially if I can get it in sunburst. :thu:

Some of you tekkie geeks might be able to straighten me out.

Why the hell does someone fork out an extra $300 to $800 for a "Signature Sting" or a "Signature Jaco" or a "Signature Miller"? For the vast majority of us roadkill, a Miller "J" doesn't play any better than a standard "J". For the pros, they pretty much mix and match bridges and pickups to suit them.

And it is even worse with guitars! Espeically that Dimebag Darrel Washburn. It looks like a big lower case "k" with a head stock.

Is there some kind of investment value involved that as a pup I am not aware of? Or is it just the "it's a standard "J" but with a Badass bridge..."

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by Social Critic:

Some of you tekkie geeks might be able to straighten me out.

Why the hell does someone fork out an extra $300 to $800 for a "Signature Sting" or a "Signature Jaco" or a "Signature Miller"? For the vast majority of us roadkill, a Miller "J" doesn't play any better than a standard "J". For the pros, they pretty much mix and match bridges and pickups to suit them.

And it is even worse with guitars! Espeically that Dimebag Darrel Washburn. It looks like a big lower case "k" with a head stock.

Is there some kind of investment value involved that as a pup I am not aware of? Or is it just the "it's a standard "J" but with a Badass bridge..."

Well, at the risk of being called a techie geek, I'll suggest that we should sort out what we're talking about here.

Sting bass: +/- $600

Geddy Lee bass: +/- $600

Mike Dirnt bass: +/- $600

So far, we're actually paying a few hundred LESS than a standard US.

Marcus Miller bass: kinda pricey

Jaco bass: very pricey

I'm not going to suggest that these are all "worth" the price. But my guess would be that what's putting up the price tag on those basses is not so much the name as it is all the custom finishing, parts, &/or electronics that are going into them. Make a small run with special specs that require someone to spend more time on them, & the price goes up.

If you don't want to pay, then don't.

I mean "tekkie geek" in only the most affectionate of ways. The inquiry wasn't so much should I buy one (I so don't need another bass right now), but more along the lines of what make this "P" or "J" a signature and this one not (other than the signature, obviously) and the implicationt that Geddy or Mike or Dimebag might if played an instrument set up congruently.

I've been back in for a year now, and the theory is good, and the jam is back (such that it is), but I haven't much a clue about gear yet.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by Social Critic:

I mean "tekkie geek" in only the most affectionate of ways.

:D

When I was in college, my best friend & I would say the most awful things to each other, then follow it with, "I say that in love, of course." :wave: ), what makes something a "signature" bass is that it has some combination of features not available within the "standard" line of basses.* These features are usually determined by an artist's specifications, &/or designed to make it similar to that player's bass.

*(The Sting bass is kind of an exception to this, unless you count that autograph inlay as a "feature." Then again, that approach has put a good number of people off that bass.)

Archived