Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my E-string sounds like phaser.. what to do?

Tuomas

Yea. My e-string sounds kinda funny. When I play it open, there is this little 'phaser-like' sound. My strings are new and I play Fender Jazz. Could I have done something wrong when I changed my strings? Does anyone know what can cause that little sound? Thank you.
Don't eat yellow snow.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unusual twists in the string between the nut and the bridge from the way you put it on, or a bad string, I'd hazard.

You haven't changed pickup height at the neck p'up lately have you? If that was exceedingly high and had high magnetic strength it could concievably be doing some funny things.

If that was exceedingly high and had high magnetic strength it could concievably be doing some funny things.

Yeah, try lowering the pickup under the E string. I owned a bass for two years, just living with that poopy, warbling, hard to intonate string before I discovered the pickup was too close to the E string.

Also, can you put the old E string back on and see if there's still a problem?

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Both very good suggestions. If they don't work, have a local store take a look at it. Can't imagine they would charge you for the info.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Did you replace them with the same size strings? Make sure it is seated in the nut right. If you go with a diffrent sized string and it sits too loose in the nut or too tight in the nut, you can get some awfully odd sounds and innotations.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Tuomas, one thing to remember about Fender headstocks is that because they're practically straight, you'll need more winds on some strings. The low E and A strings can be a problem here.

When you put on new strings, at the headstock end, stretch it out straight. Now, from the post of the chosen string, say, the A, count about two to three posts away, towards the headstock end. Cut the string there. This will create enough downward pressure when tuning, and should eliminate any phaser like noises. Of course, when tuning, the string should go closer to the headstock, not away from it.

Basically, the E, D, and G strings can use about two post lengths, while the A will most likely need three.

I've seen and practiced a measured string cut when putting on new strings, but, I'm wondering how an acurate measure would really matter in the end result. I mean, how does it matter how much is hanging off, or wrapped around the tuner? I'm just thinking that any sound differance is coming from technique or the actual strings.
Donnie Peterson

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

Tuomas, one thing to remember about Fender headstocks is that because they're practically straight, you'll need more winds on some strings. The low E and A strings can be a problem here.

When you put on new strings, at the headstock end, stretch it out straight. Now, from the post of the chosen string, say, the A, count about two to three posts away, towards the headstock end. Cut the string there. This will create enough downward pressure when tuning, and should eliminate any phaser like noises. Of course, when tuning, the string should go closer to the headstock, not away from it.

Basically, the E, D, and G strings can use about two post lengths, while the A will most likely need three.

I think this might be the reason. But do I have to cut the string? I have heard that with Fender basses you should not cut the string at all.

Umm.. What does 'post' mean? :confused:

Don't eat yellow snow.

I am with redneck on this one. I have cut'em different lengths and have heard "0" difference, although I have never overlaped the strings if that is what has been done. But then again, doesn't the nut act as the starting point?

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Much of this has already been stated, albeit differently, but I'll add my one and a half cents worth nonetheless. Assuming that your 'phasing' problem is being caused by the position of the string on the tuner.....

Fender headstocks are not only flat, they have a slightly positive camber, wherein the tip of the headstock is considerably higher than the nut. This isn't a problem on the G and D strings because of the string tree they pass under (nice fix, Leo :D ), but your A and E strings won't seat completely in the nut if they are not wound onto the tuning post properly.

As Taz said, make sure when winding the strings onto the tuners that you wind toward the headstock, so that the last wrap is as close to the headstock as possible.

As to string length, you have to have enough on the tuner to facilitate wrapping the string low enough. I would also not recommend overlapping, as it can cause string slippage on the tuning post. I usually run 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 wraps on the post.

Good luck troubleshooting....

Later..................

I get the same effect that you described, when I first install fresh roundwound strings on my fender basses and slap the E string. It's a really strange sound, but I find it kind of cool, and a decent indicator of the freshness of the strings. It always goes away after a little use, though, I've found.

I never worried about it, since it only seemed to appear when slapping, but even then, since it dissipates after a relatively short time, I never thought it merited much attention.

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

I read a brief interview with Lee Sklar once where he advised to stretch the string by pulling on it around the 12th fret and letting it go like plucking a bow. I didn't like the letting go part as much so what I do every time I restring or tune up is to tug each string a few times and retune it, simulating constant playing.

Also if a string is getting too old this will probably snap the string, so I carry a few extra used strings in my bags for a last-minute replacement. I've snapped a few G-strings in my time, but that's another story for another time. :D

I agree about it probably being the nut. If you have a nut made of bone, it'll not be as asorbant as a graphite nut. So if you change string gague or brand , it can get that flange/chorus/phase sound. I decided to change brands but not size recently on a jazz bass and I had to get my nut fixed up. Same goes for a brass nut.

Good Luck

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

All the posts here point to the bass, rather than the amp, so I'm probably off-bass (sorry...) here, but...

...I've got a little Fender Bassman 25 that has tons of low-end for a "little guy". When I crank-up the low EQ on the amp *and* the bass, I hear the same thing. Posted about this before, but got no response.

This happens only on my little amp - not my bigger one (Bassman 200). Thus in my case, it seemed related to the amp. I theorized it was the "tuned ports" in the amp, which were tuned about the same frequency as the notes that gave me trouble (especially 5th-fret E string), but I wouldn't rule-out something in the power-amp. Didn't explore further because it was just my practice-amp, and I no longer boost the low EQ so much these days.

Originally posted by Mike Bear:

I agree about it probably being the nut. If you have a nut made of bone, it'll not be as asorbant as a graphite nut. So if you change string gague or brand , it can get that flange/chorus/phase sound. I decided to change brands but not size recently on a jazz bass and I had to get my nut fixed up. Same goes for a brass nut.

Good Luck

So if I ever need to change my nut should I take graphite nut or go with nut made of bone? What is the difference between these two?
Don't eat yellow snow.

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Tuomas:

Yea. My e-string sounds kinda funny. When I play it open, there is this little 'phaser-like' sound. My strings are new and I play Fender Jazz. Could I have done something wrong when I changed my strings? Does anyone know what can cause that little sound? Thank you.

FYI, I recently encountered this problem when restringing a bass, except that the G string (& to an extent the D string) was the culprit. At higher frets on the neck, it gave a "phased" sound. It turns out the string was twisted; restrung it more carefully, & problem solved.

Originally posted by   :

Unusual twists in the string between the nut and the bridge from the way you put it on, or a bad string, I'd hazard.

Yup. Did you hand wind the string around the tuning post a couple of times before tightening to tension? This causes the string to twist. If so, just unwrap all the way, reinsert the end of the string, and put tension on the string while wraping it on the post using only the tuning key, not hand wrapping.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Archived