Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey!

Welcome to the Low Down Lowdown! :wave:

Several of our members own and use Avatar cabs. I have not played one.

In small blue type in the upper right you will see a "search" feature. Type in "avatar" or maybe "avatar cab" or "avatar speaker" and you should find a number of links.

Good luck.

Perhaps some of our experienced Avatar users will chime in later on this thread.

By the way, "avatar" also refers to the little image that some folks put next to their names/nicknames, so you'll inevitably get some threads that refer to those as well.

Peace.

--sweet'n'low

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

thanks everyone for your info.

Yeah i just ordered a B210 and a B115. i got stuck in a crappy situation and had to find the best possible solution financially and timely.

i've heard nothing but good things and wanted to get a few more opinions.

so my set-up will be the carvin RL1000 with the avatar B210 and B115. we'll see how it sounds

thanks again

if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bullshit

I can testify that they can handle their rated power. I run a DPC1000 Peavey 1000 watt power amp bridged into a Avatar C15 (compact 15" cab) and haven't blown it up yet. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I own an Avatar B212 cabinet.

I also own a couple of Acme Low B-2's.

I also own a Bergantino HT112.

The Avatar isn't a bad cabinet, but it's not really comparable to the Acmes or the Bergantino.

I have also owned Ampeg and Peavey in the past. The Avatar is comparable to those other cabinets, and it seems to hold up. I thought the Peavey sounded better and the Ampeg sounded different.

I guess to summarize, if you're comparing these cabinets to the non-boutique gear available in your local shop, I think they do hold up. But don't expect a $300 cabinet to sound like a $600 cabinet. There is some advantage and savings by buying direct, but there is no magic bullet to quote a couple of famous and not-so-famous people. :D Something's got to give.

Originally posted by dixondave:

DWBass,

I bet that is a sweet sounding stack. I am using the B210 and a Peavy 115 BVX powered by a Fender 800 Pro and am very happy so far!

Yeah, and with only 300w! They are begging for more power and I'm sorta obliging by moving up to 500w for now! But they sound pretty damn good for my style of play!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Originally posted by getz76:

The Avatar isn't a bad cabinet, but it's not really comparable to the Acmes or the Bergantino.

I agree but I don't think anyone IS comparing them to those brands. For quality and price, you can't beat them though. I will say that some 'name' brand cabs don't compare to Avatars as well! All the boutique brands started small and I see Avatar getting to that level at some point! He's already started adding speakon connectors.

Originally posted by DWBass:

I agree but I don't think anyone IS comparing them to those brands.
I am, actually. Thanks, getz76! So far I think I'm saving up for a Carvin B1500 and two Acme Low B2 cabs.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

I agree but I don't think anyone IS comparing them to those brands. For quality and price, you can't beat them though. I will say that some 'name' brand cabs don't compare to Avatars as well! All the boutique brands started small and I see Avatar getting to that level at some point! He's already started adding speakon connectors.
I'm not sure if the boutique crowd is his target market.

I think it's fair to have a comparison between Acme, Bergantino, and Avatar. The price points are different, but not so outrageously so that there cannot be some derived cost benefit analysis; if you offered me 30 different Avatar cabinets or my 2 Acme B-2's, and I could only have either or, I'd stick with my Acme cabinets. ;)

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

...if you offered me 30 different Avatar cabinets or my 2 Acme B-2's, and I could only have either or, I'd stick with my Acme cabinets. ;)

That's because you're really Wile E. Coyote. ;)
Which of course takes us back yet again to this classic thread . . .

I always knew Wile E. Coyote was a closet fictional character bass player. He stacks his Acme Low B2 cabs end on end on end on end -- all 93 of them -- to reach the top of that cliff where Roadrunner is mocking him from the lead vocal mic: "Meep, meep . . ."

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

I have an Avatar B210. It is a way too bright for my tastes. But, I can tweak my EQ and get close to the same tone as my Peavey 410 TVX. That is a lot of tweaking and it doesn't handle the low C or B string very well.

But, I'm in a metal band and need a lot of low end growl and don't really care about highs.

One caution when going the Avatar route... If you only get one cab, do yourself a favor and get the 2x12. Most people (including Dave at Avatar) will tell you it's their best sounding cab, stand-alone. I have an Avatar 4x10 running stand alone, and although it's nice and great for the money, I would have been better off getting the 2x12. But, we tend to learn best when making mistakes, and I've learned this simple lesson, alright.

As soon as I can scrape together the cash, I'm going to replace the 10s with deltalites, I think. There's another mistake... if going for the 4x10, I should have at least gotten it speakerles! I was considering adding another cab to fill out the sound spectrum, but I don't want to add MORE grear (it's already quite a bit to haul around), and I certainly don't want to get rid of it. I also considered getting a 1x15 Avatar cab speakerless and putting in a nice neodymium 15inch driver, but I don't know if one exists right now that would really suit my needs and/or be worth it. In time, though...

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

I'm not sure if the boutique crowd is his target market.

I think it's fair to have a comparison between Acme, Bergantino, and Avatar. The price points are different, but not so outrageously so that there cannot be some derived cost benefit analysis; if you offered me 30 different Avatar cabinets or my 2 Acme B-2's, and I could only have either or, I'd stick with my Acme cabinets. ;)

I assumed that someone asking about Avatar Cabs are doing so because of budget constraints! Now if you wanna compare Avatars and high end brands go right ahead. I'm not gonna argue that. Hey, if I could afford Bergies and the like I'd own them. But there's nothing wrong with Avatars.

DWBass,

There is nothing wrong with Avatar speakers.

I own a B212. I'm honest about gear; if it was not a good cabinet, I would let everyone know. I happen to favor certain pieces of my gear at this point, but that was a conclusion I reached after going through numerous rigs.

I understand budget constraints, but in this market, there are definitely alternatives for gear that is incrementally better than the Avatar that is not prohibitively more expensive.

Example:

Acme Low B-4 = $695 shipped

$314 is still a lot of coin, but when you take into consideration there would be no need for a sub-woofer cabinet, since the Acme is a stand-alone, full-range cabinet, you can start justifying the expense in certain cases.

Like I said, I still think Avatar seems to hold up with some of the more expensive name brand rigs available in your local G/C.

Just my thoughts...

yeah i went ahead with 2X10 and the 1X15

i needed a quick, easy, and most importantly, cheap way to get something that can handle my amp. overall the responses have been positive, and while i'm well aware that there's plenty of cabs that sound better, money has to come before quality this time around. it still sounds like i'm getting a good deal for the money i'm spending.

i'm sporting the five string (Surprised?) and the 4X10 wasn't cutting it. there was no happy medium for both the lows and the highs. and while i'd say the lows are more important to me, i still use the highs enough to care. so i'm hoping 2X10s and 1X15 will do the trick

if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bullshit

That combination should certainly float your boat just fine...

But consider this: You paid $428.

An Acme Low B-2 is $480.

I've played with a 1200 watt power amp through this little beauty at many loud gigs, and had no problems hearing myself. It's also much easier to haul around than a 2x10 plus a 1x15. I can actually get a cab!

5-string? No problem. It's specifically designed for that. Really, I'm very very into the Acme. It's an incredible deal, and my back thanks me every day.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

That combination should certainly float your boat just fine...

But consider this: You paid $428.

An Acme Low B-2 is $480.

I've played with a 1200 watt power amp through this little beauty at many loud gigs, and had no problems hearing myself. It's also much easier to haul around than a 2x10 plus a 1x15. I can actually get a cab!

5-string? No problem. It's specifically designed for that. Really, I'm very very into the Acme. It's an incredible deal, and my back thanks me every day.

How does that little baby compare in terms of volume to an Avatar 4x10? I know there are specs available, but I'm curious about how it SOUNDS. I know that the Acme could give MUCH better low end response, and that the Avatar 4x10 drops off significantly about an octave above the fundamental of a low E string. I am curious because I would LOVE to use something smaller and lighter, but I do play with a rather loud group, and being heard at all is much more important than having great tone, at least given my financial constraints.

These ACME cabs look VERY interesting, and I really like the layout and explanations on their website.

So, anyone compared the B2 and Avatar 4x10 side by side?

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

Archived