Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mic-ing guitar cabs...from the inside?

Anybody ever tried this? I was just thinking that it might work for an "immediate" type sound. It also might help mask some of the friggin' computer fan noise I've been dealing with lately! :mad: Obviously, I can see where there might be serious phase issues when trying to combine such a signal with a room mic on the other side of the speaker (as well as some resonance problems) but I was just kinda curious if anyone had been feeling experimental enough to mess with something like this. This whole thing kinda sprang from the idea of clamping one of those cute, little mics designed for toms or snares directly onto the speaker frame. Most of those thingies have the "correct" frequency response for guitar. Am I too weird?
None more black.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A friend of mine borrowed an amp from a friend that had a 57 capsule permanently wired inside. It may have even come that way from the factory, I don't know. It worked well. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

OK, so I just went and bought an Audix ADX90 mic on ebay cheap...I figured since I brought up the topic, I oughta at least try it out. It's one of them-there "clamp her onto a drum or something" type deals. Anybody know how good or bad this particular mic might be? I just bought it on a whim without doing any real research...
None more black.

Don't know about the mic... But before I got my Line6 POD, and was recording amps, I used to mic both sides, flip one 180° from the other (on the console, or by hardwire adapter), and go to town. I have small amps--a '60 Harvard, and a '71 VibroChamp--and doing this made them sound huge.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I sometimes use this technique on gtr cabinets. If you don't have phase reversal (polarity reversal, whatever), move the mic(s) around until it sounds right. If you use a PZM to backmic the cabinet, you don't have these problems. I used it to get a little bit more "oooomph" and "chunk" out of the guitar sound. The back end of a guitar cabinet can really have a lot of thrust coming out of it, and if you can take advantage of some of that without having it TOO percussive, it'll sound great. It takes a little monkeying around, but it's worth it if that's the sound you're going after. I've also miced a cabinet ONLY from the back. I did this because someone had a really obnoxious guitar tone, very high-pitched and abrasive transistor-shrieky distortion sound. I back-miced his cabinet, which got rid of a lot of these foul properties, and the guy was still happy with the tone, although perplexed as to why his cabinet was the only one with the mic in the back. I lied and told him I wanted maximum isolation on his cabinet (this did occur, but wasn't the reason!). Good luck, and lettuce know how it goes!

Thanks guys. I've got several small amps that might benefit from this technique. One is a Trace-Elliot Velocette that is basically the precursor to the little Gibson Goldtone. The damn thing always sounds good in the room but then loses something when I record it. Ken, I've got a modified Radio Shack PZM I could play around with. Where/how do you mount yours?
None more black.

Actually Allan Holdsworth did exactly that a while ago but with an enclosed cab because he wanted to crank but not bleed into everyones mikes on stage,so he experimented with different kinds of woods/materials/mikes ect. until he came up with something he liked,and wound up using it in the studio as well.I still use 3 for recording,1 dead on,1 room and 1 at ears hight facing slightly down toward the cab.I never liked putting one inside(back of speaker),too many unwanted overtones and not the kind of clarity I was looking for.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived