Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Projector on stage

I've been reading up on techniques to make your stage show more interesting... bearing in mind that I'm a guitarist rooted to a microphone it makes pulling off those David Lee Roth high kicks a bit difficult... so..... I had thought of getting a projector and displaying something interesting behind me (more in the nude nympho women category as opposed to the 'My first poo' category...) :cool: Anyone done this before? Also since I'm a bit of a Midi geek I'd love to be able to hook the thing in with my sequencer to time the changes.... Does such a piece of technology exist? And if not - why not? :) Huge.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was a "Flower Power" revival band back in Albuquerque, whose name I can't remember, that did a lot with projectors. They actually used [i]overhead[/i] projectors, and the light man would fool around with moire patterns, colored oil between two clear sheets of plastic, soap bubbles, etc. Very lo-tech but really gave some authenticy to the show. We like to do a little bit of stuff like that in our band. During "Devil went down to Georgia" I'll have a strobe light set up in front of me, and turn it on with a footswitch during the "Devil's" fiddle solo, and slowly break out a wide grin with vampire fangs during the solo; freaks people out who haven't seen it before! Finally, check out Talking Head's "Stop Making Sense" for some interesting ideas with projectors (also Blue Man Group, if you get a chance to see them live!)

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I've played innumerable shows with projections, slides, movies, oil and water, the works. One memorable anti-homophobia-law benefit had us performing in front of huge slides of homoerotic black and white photographs, on a full size movie theatre screen! I knew some great light show guys, sometimes we'd get a couple of them going at once, wow. Nothing homoerotic though. Strobe lights really fuck with a person's timing, everyone tends to rush. Now they have these LCD projectors, conceivably you could project anything, and they're coming down in price. Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Projectors can be used as excellent visual additions to a show, but they can induce goodly amounts of noise into audio systems. Be prepared to move equipment around, and to (if possible) put the projector on an AC circuit not being used for audio gear. -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

Archived