Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A beginner thats realy serious.

l Bad Religion l

Originally posted by At_Odds:

Would this be better then this ?

A Chord Finder vs. a Breath Builder? I don't think you'll find much use for either as a bass player, unless of course that "straw tube" that comes w/ the Breath Builder is long enough to reach a beer while you're playing. If that's the case, I'll order one. ;)
Ah, nice marmot.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to our world, At_Odds. Everyone else is giving you the standard to-do list for beginning on this instrument, but let me add one that will help in your ear training. Try to play every single melody or bassline you hear on the bass. Learn the bassline from your favorite sitcom theme song. Play all your favorite nursery rhyme songs form childhood on the bass - for example, learn "Pop Goes The Weasel" in all twelve keys. Learn the theme to "Jeopardy" or "The Price Is Right," which make great filler music onstage while waiting for your asshole guitarist to get ready for the next song.

The point is, try to suck in as much music as you can, and make it come out on the bass, especially stuff that you don't like or wouldn't otherwise play. Learn to play everything, and then you can pick and choose what you like to play. This is how you stretch the bounds of what you can do on your instrument.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Carol Kaye offers some excellent videos and instructional materials on her website. Check them out, a great deal.
I bought her bass instructional DVD and it sucks! She just basically sits there and plays for ya, and with a pick.

Then she tells you that playing scales is a waste of time.

But she sent along about 40 pages of press releases and copies of newspaper articles, and listings of EVERY song and artist she ever played with.

I definately recommend Peter Murray's "Essential Bass Techniques". All it does is show you the proper way to play, hold, finger, fret, mute your bass. A must have for any beginner!

Originally posted by jeremyc:

I wouldn't buy the fingering charts.

Draw your own.

You will learn a lot by doing it.

Amen!

My first music theory teacher had me writing all the major scales as homework for day 1. No problem - I had been playing sax for 6 years and taken piano lessons for 2... I had a preatty good idea how to build a major scale.

The next day's homework was to add the 3rd on every note of each scale. Day 3, guess what... go home and write in the 5th. Day 4, go home and start a blank sheet and write the chords.

The rest of the semester (and my musical life) this became vital as I learned to recognize triads at a glance...

Uh... my point is that Jeremy made a very good point. You'll learn more by doing something yourself, even though you can find 10 books that do it for you.

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Stackimo:

Bass tabs. I am going to vary from the others on this topic. I think they are good to use, until you have gained a respect of what a bass player can really do, then you will want to figure the stuff out for yourself.

The biggest problem with tabs, ESPECIALLY the ASCII ones found online (as stated by others, but I think bears restating) is that they are almost always WRONG, WRONGER, WRONGEST. Even bass (and guitar) BOOKS, that come from "reputable publishers" are rife with errors. I'm not just talkin' outta my butt here - a few years back I worked as a freelance transcriber for Cherry Lane music, one of the biggest publishers of TAB books. The interesting thing is, while the TAB is very often wrong in these books (wrong fingerings, missing notes, notes on wrong strings, etc.), the STANDARD NOTATION is almost always correct. TAB can be a big time-saver, it can put you on the right track, but to trust it completely is not good practice. It's worth it to learn standard notation, if for no other reason than to check and make sure that what the TAB says is accurate. You'll be amazed how often the TAB is wrong.

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

My questions for at_odds:

If you are in a band, how do you learn your parts?

Does the guitarist show you what to play?

How does he know? How did he learn?

How did the tabs get on the internet?

Someone else figured out the song by ear and wrote down the tab, right?

How did they learn how to do that?

If all these other people can figure out how to play by ear, then so can you.

Hey "At_Odds" I agree with the no-named guy (really agree with him a lot, but with no name listed when he posts it's tough to give credit where it is due-- so, dude what should we call you), if you play punk don't ask, do. And when we say "Listen to Jaco, and Ray Brown, and transcribe Coltrane, and Bootsy" you're supposed to say F%&%$ Off!"

Seriously, punk is supposed to be so much more about attitude then musicianship.

About the books and resources you've asked about. I have to say, the old standards still look like the way to go. "The Evolving Bassist" by Rufus Reid, "The Improviser's Bass Method" by Chuch Shearer I think is his name, Chuck Rainey's book are all good. Ed Freiland (sorry for the misspelling) is a rather prolific writer I imagine the book you cited by him would be good.

The Carol Kaye books are the real deal. I'm wondering what DVD Miston got, but her books and her "method" of how to play is the real deal. Her books are no nonsense, just read it and do it. She has a new dvd out that is supposed to be her being all nostalgic, while she's earned the right I don't know if that would be great instruction for a beginner. But her big series of small books are good.

As so many people said, just play, sing and do the whole ear training thing, read and practice out of one of the "classic" books already listed and you'll be fine. This isn't rocket science, it is music so playing is how to get better.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by musicalhair:

Hey "At_Odds" I agree with the no-named guy (really agree with him a lot, but with no name listed when he posts it's tough to give credit where it is due-- so, dude what should we call you), if you play punk don't ask, do. And when we say "Listen to Jaco, and Ray Brown, and transcribe Coltrane, and Bootsy" you're supposed to say F%&%$ Off!"

Seriously, punk is supposed to be so much more about attitude then musicianship.

About the books and resources you've asked about. I have to say, the old standards still look like the way to go. "The Evolving Bassist" by Rufus Reid, "The Improviser's Bass Method" by Chuch Shearer I think is his name, Chuck Rainey's book are all good. Ed Freiland (sorry for the misspelling) is a rather prolific writer I imagine the book you cited by him would be good.

The Carol Kaye books are the real deal. I'm wondering what DVD Miston got, but her books and her "method" of how to play is the real deal. Her books are no nonsense, just read it and do it. She has a new dvd out that is supposed to be her being all nostalgic, while she's earned the right I don't know if that would be great instruction for a beginner. But her big series of small books are good.

As so many people said, just play, sing and do the whole ear training thing, read and practice out of one of the "classic" books already listed and you'll be fine. This isn't rocket science, it is music so playing is how to get better.

I know what punk is, lol, I just havent played any songs yet and dont know if playing with a pick or with your fingers would be easier.

Uhhhhh! Take a damn pick! PLAY THE SONG!!! THEN TRY IT WITH FINGERS!!! FOR YOUR MOMMY'S SAKE JUST DO IT YOUR OWN DAMN SELF!!!!

We have no freaking clue what's gonna be easier for you. Some people play with picks better, others play fingers better. So figure out which one you are!

Sorry to flame you, but you absolutely don't use ANY common sense before asking a question.

Alright, you're "serious", then get out and play! What could you be doing right now instead of asking us all these easily answered (by yourself) questions? A) figuring out if you like fingers or pick better and B) playing the damn bass!!! The members have given some great suggestions (some of which me, myself, am going to do), so just do those.

Also, I'm curious how you're in a band with a site and all and don't have a clue how to play bass (or atleast it sounds that way). I wouldn't mind you answering Jeremy's questions.

In Skynyrd We Trust

QUOTE]I know what punk is, lol, I just havent played any songs yet and dont know if playing with a pick or with your fingers would be easier.[/QB]

"They" didn't know either-- the Ramones, the Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Dead Kennedys (one of my first concerts, with the Bad Brains at Bonds the clothing store turned club in NYC), the Anti-Nowhere Leage, Stiff Little Fingers or the Misfits didn't "know" any songs. Sid probably didn't know how to tune.

For punk, play a Rick or a P bass, with the Rotosounds that rip the flesh off you fingers and use th3 big Dunlop 1.5mm tortex picks-- the ones that are bigger than a quarter-- and pick near (but not below, you've got to get some low end) bridge pickup. For any other music I'd say something completely different (except about the rotosounds, great sounding rock and roll strings I keep them on one bass always). When you want to play blues or virtually anything else use your fingers in classical-guitar rest stroke fasion over or around the bridge pickup (rounder fuller tone with more bottom, but too jazzy for punk with now rasp that you'll get with the pick around the bridge pickup. Play a beat up old tube head (an ampeg that takes at least 45 minutes to warm up), and a 2-15 cabinet that you stole from an American Legion Hall or Elks club.

And spit, a lot.

And end every sentence with a curse that but say it so it sounds like a question-- like this:

"The George Washington of South America is Simon Buliva, ... f#$%?

Sorry, I'm just goofing, but I'm serious about the musical suggestions I'm making. There is a sound that you'll get that way and it is killer for punk.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by musicalhair:

Hey "At_Odds" I agree with the no-named guy (really agree with him a lot, but with no name listed when he posts it's tough to give credit where it is due-- so, dude what should we call you),

The "no-named" guy is the Lowdown's version of the Beatles "White" album.

I will protect his identity, since he's making a point by being transparent right now. But I'll give you a hint...clik on "Posts" at the bottom of his post and you'll get a list of 300 of his posts. Go to some of them, and you'll see some of us conversing with him by name.

Then you'll know who he is, and will have the added benefit of learning more about the history of the forum.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

The "no-named" guy is the Lowdown's version of the Beatles "White" album.

Nicely said. Definitely more on target than the LDL's version of Smell the Glove.

Hmmmmmmm, if "Mr. No-name" had an album out, what color would it be? :confused:

;):D

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Da LadY In Tha Pink Dress:

Uhhhhh! Take a damn pick! PLAY THE SONG!!! THEN TRY IT WITH FINGERS!!! FOR YOUR MOMMY'S SAKE JUST DO IT YOUR OWN DAMN SELF!!!!

We have no freaking clue what's gonna be easier for you. Some people play with picks better, others play fingers better. So figure out which one you are!

Sorry to flame you, but you absolutely don't use ANY common sense before asking a question.

Alright, you're "serious", then get out and play! What could you be doing right now instead of asking us all these easily answered (by yourself) questions? A) figuring out if you like fingers or pick better and B) playing the damn bass!!! The members have given some great suggestions (some of which me, myself, am going to do), so just do those.

Also, I'm curious how you're in a band with a site and all and don't have a clue how to play bass (or atleast it sounds that way). I wouldn't mind you answering Jeremy's questions.

Were in a band...but Im the newest member and went from drums to bass. Notice ont he site that theres nothing in my info(matt). If you could read...you would have seen what I asked. I wanted to know if there was any ultimate advantages by using a pic/finger. Sheeesh...dont flame BEFORE you read.

If you are in a band, how do you learn your parts?

Were a new band, we havent even started practicing together yet.

www.activebass.com has an online metronome that is adustable, and even a chord gererator so you can practice your arpeggios (or is it arpeggii?) and sound like you are actually playing with some one. It free, and beat buying a bunch of crap only to decide a month and a half later that you really aren't up to playing bass.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Here's a little personal history. Take it as guidance or leave it behind -- whatever works for you, At_Odds. (I've told some of this in past threads, so those who recognize the tale, feel free to skip to the next post... ;) )

At the end of my sophomore year of high school (1986 for those who care), I mentioned to a guitarist friend that I was thinking about taking up bass -- electric bass guitar, that is. He mentioned it to a drummer friend, who happened to be in my English class, and the drummer said to me one day, "Hey man, I hear you're learning bass. Let's get a band going next year." This sealed the deal on me going ahead and starting to play bass.

These guys were certainly in the classic rock vein, so when I bought my first bass and P.O.S. Gorilla amp that summer, I also picked up "Led Zeppelin Complete" (which was not so complete, but good enough) and started learning tunes. Between the sheet music (I don't think the book had tab, but if it did I didn't know how to read it because I was using the standard notation) and my collection of cassettes I built up a solid Led Zep repertoire (even if imperfectly played).

I returned to school in the fall and we started our band -- starting w/ Zep tunes, adding Pink Floyd, Cream (I got to sing "Strange Brew" -- bitchin' tune! :thu: ), and then a whole crazy assortment of tunes by: The Smithereens, Grateful Dead, R.E.M., Bob Marley, Violent Femmes, The Doors, David Bowie... As I mentioned before, the guitarist learned a lot of the bass parts by ear and taught them to me, until he'd had enough and made me learn them myself -- which I found out quickly was not as hard as I thought it would be.

I also started taking lessons from a pretty decent teacher by second semester of my junior year. (Talk about advancing by leaps and bounds!)

So, band or not, experience or not, don't underestimate what you are capable of learning. Your ears are more powerful than you think, learning standard notation is not so tough, and finding sheet music and beginning bass instructional books/media is surprisingly easy. If you can get hooked up w/ a decent teacher, you'll be amazed at what you can do!

Because you're a beginner, you have a truly wonderful path ahead of you...even if eventually you decide that bass is not for you! Enjoy the journey...

Peace.

--sweet'n'low

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by jeremyc:

I don't get it.

You're in a band.

You don't know how to play.

You can't hear.

What kind of band could it possibly be?

You have to know how to play before you and your friends decide to be in a band?

Am I suppose to know everything in less then a month?

Who learns how to hear in a very short period of time?

You have to know how to play before you and your friends decide to be in a band?

Am I suppose to know everything in less then a month?

Who learns how to hear in a very short period of time?

Now, there you have it. The true "punk" spirit. Of course you don't have to know how to play before you and your friends decided to be in a band.

You are supposed to learn a long time, and you'll know everything you are gonna learn on your deathbed.

No one learns to hear in a short period of time. No one learns to talk in a short period of time. And some people never learn to say anything at all.

You've had the good fortune of finding a forum where we believe that good musicians, good bands and good music are a product of good souls.

Now I'm saying this in response to your post, but it's for everybody here...including myself:

And we desire that you become a good musician, be in a great, life changing band, and become a good soul.

All of these things take no less than a lifetime.

If you are an orator, no one save your friends will listen until you have something to say. If you are a musician, no one save your friends will listen until you've developed something that grabs their ears.

Then, just maybe, you'll be able to grab their hearts.

Meanwhile, as you grow, concentrate on the most important part of the puzzle, the soul. It's the key to everything else.

Hmmmm....padawans these days.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Sorry for my swipes at you, at_odds, just listen to Dave, he is always calm and always speaks the truth.

Yes, it is perfectly possible for a group of friends to decide to "be a band" and learn how to play their instruments together. It's worked for some bands over the years.

I've been playing music since I was ten and when I needed other people to play with, I looked around and found other people who also had been playing a while. Then we became friends. But that's just the way I did it, your way may work too.

Good luck!

And it really doesn't matter if you want to play with a pick or with fingers. You will find many examples of players who have used either way successfully.

Archived