Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

24 carat gold strings?!?

40hertz

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've strung guitars with them before. There is a tonal difference as I recall. Find out! They aren't too bad on JustStrings.com and they do last a long time.

But like ANY string, they get indentations/gouges on the bottom side from frets. I find that this makes a string tune poorly. So no matter how long a string might retain tone, it will need to be replaced...

^

|

EDIT: which by the way is why I think boiling is kinda lame

I used to boil, but it's more work than it's worth, the return is temporary and can actually kill strings faster.

Besides, some string/bass combos sound better when the strings are changed as little as possible, or not at all.

My mid 80's Ibanez sounds and plays better for me with older DR (steel) strings, but it tends towards a brighter tone in general. I have seen more than a few P and J basses with ancient strings, they seemed to sound just groovy.

And didn't Jamerson allegedly never change his strings, plus never cleaning his bass? Something about "the funk just adding to the funk"?

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Yeah, I've seen some o-o-o-o-o-o-old srings on basses. And maybe some of those legends about who changed strings when had a basis in reality {and were good legends too ; } - because strings weren't nearly as reliable and uniform back then, and they seemed to be more expensive, relatively.

Actually the Erroneous/Alex Dmochowski guy I just mentioned in the Zappa thread was notorius for practically the opposite: he'd break several strings a show; supposedly a hard hitter. I think it likely he also had burrs on his bridge ; }

Legends are the stuff of drams.

I picked up a set on eBay to stick on my Fender walnut precision; it seemed appropriate given the color and gold hardware- matching strings!!

http://www.doublebass.biz/walnutp1.jpg

Bling bling indeed.

They're ok, but not really in character with the bass, which I use for blues-- Thom Flats will go back on it eventually.

I didn't find them to be much different than decent nickel rounds, maybe a little warmer.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

passgroove,

The Matt Garriosn strings are Fodera Diamond stainless steel (compressed wound) and for a five string they come with a high C instaed of a low B.

The gauges of 28-40-60-80-100-120 feel about like a step fatter (30-45-65-85-105-125or130) and they have a high output and lots of treble and are just a bit smoother in feel than stainless roundwounds.

They are one of my favorite strings and they last for a long time without beginning to sound dead.

If you prefer them in different gauges or sets you can talk directly to Fodera (great people!) or get them at juststrings.com.

I got them from Matt the first time because I also ordered his CD.

Any time spent boiling strings means you're not boiling pasta. I'll buy another set (plus I think there are reasons that strings go bad other than stuff you can boil out of them).

pale-greenboy doesn't boil strings because it's too cold to waste the energy.

57pbass - with all the musicians in your family, your deception will be uncovered quickly. Better go get Mom another gift :D

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

I think they'll do well now, as the choice strings of every hiphop and R&B player that understands the importance of bling-bling. Will we be seeing diamante encrusted pickguards too?

Alex

Oh, pleasebeleive I'ma get my piece of the 24karat string bling, Ima wait for the platinum strings to come out and I'ma get them too.. and for the added punch, I'ma get a Diamond studded guitar strap. [/joke]
Pain teaches what pride won't let you learn...

Yeah Tom. Only way I'm going to boil strings is if they are in the same pot with the BBQ sauce ; }

Boiling sure isn't going to do anything about the metal stress uneven stretch and fret gouges, the changes in core/wrap twist - all the things that not only make a string sound deader but also make it play out of tune in some areas and sustain unevenly.

My solution for those who are pinching pennies are to order strings from Carvin. They are great strings - LaBellas - with very good balance and feel from string to string and their B string rules - at least on my basses. I haven't seen anything better and I've gotten a lot of brands/sets looking.

The nickel ones have been among my favorites, and for the past year or more they've also had SS for low prices too.

Probably the first strings to go on my 6-string fretless when I get the epoxied neck on it.

i would imagine they would wear out quickly (gold is a very soft metal) so unless you really are going to give them out a gold necklaces, i doth think it would be a very good idea(unless u had some gold frets, that might work)

p.s. a fretless probably would make them last longer because it has no frets, just a theory though

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

I used those strings for a while on my first fretless bass, an Ibanez SR500 that Mr. Lull ripped the frets out of for me. They sounded really nice, but they were fairly spendy as I recall. I stopped using them when the Fremont American Music (memories GB.. memories) discontinued them.

The strings had a great "mwah" on the fretless and were easy on the fretboard.

Archived