Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Too many drums

57pbass

Ever see ELP back in the day? Good God! Palmer was in there somewhere. I knew because there were drum sounds. I assumed a human was involved.

I occasionally work with a little blues act and the drummer has a very cool kit. He uses a marching bass drum that he's fastened a peddle to. His snare is an old drum from the '40s with a genuine calfskin head. A hi-hat, one cymbal, a woodblock, a pie plate (seriously) and a whizzer whistle. This guy is a blast to play with and the kit sounds great for this act.

But to the question: 19 drums? Capital offense. I really hope this guy just set it all up for fun and he doesn't actually haul all that crap around. Please say it ain't so.

L Tucker

Nice, nice, very nice.

So many people in the same device.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tom Capasso (Zarkov):

That's fine in a studio. There are real estate issues if he takes that kit to a gig. If you are playing a large stage that's fine, but a bar?

word. nothing wrong with a big kit if you know how to use it. my drummer in high school had 2 bass drums, 6 rack toms, 2 floor toms and 3 different snares. he was toying with the idea of timpanys.

this rocked at rehearsals, but for live playing was impractical as we couldn't fit it into a club. he usually just brought hardware, cymbals and a snare (or two) and played the backline kit.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by Thomas Wilburn:

This one goes to 19.

Outstanding!

On the other end of the spectrum, it seems my drummer's greatest thrill in life is to bring one (1) tom to a gig and watch the drummer of the opening band cry. He's only done this twice, and both times were to a particularly immature drummer that proudly claimed to be "the best in town."

I have to admit, it was damn funny. Cruel, but funny.

Ah, nice marmot.

A friend of mine saw ELP in Mobile on the "Works" tour. The show began with a dark arena lit by only one spotlight, shining on Carl Palmer as he slid down a rope from the catwalk to get into his drumset. As soon as he got situated, they blasted into "Tiger In A Spotlight." :thu:

But hey, he was Carl Palmer. Unfortunately, a buncha yo-yos think they need as much shit around as Carl Palmer, but they ain't playing Keith Emerson's music, either. I'm glad the super-huge kit thing has kind of died down a little lately. On the other hand, tell me what's more fun than sitting down behind a ludicrously big kit and wailing away.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Jode:

On the other hand, tell me what's more fun than sitting down behind a ludicrously big kit and wailing away.

Standing in front of a pair of SVT cranked heads and cabinets and using them to massage your back by whacking all 5 (or 4) open strings? :D

Originally posted by getz76:

Originally posted by Jode:

On the other hand, tell me what's more fun than sitting down behind a ludicrously big kit and wailing away.

Standing in front of a pair of SVT cranked heads and cabinets and using them to massage your back by whacking all 5 (or 4) open strings? :D
All this while glancing across the stage at your keyboard player who is barely visible behind an array of Hammonds, Clavs, Rhodes, and a stack of Moog modules that rivals the Tower of Babel.

Did somebody mention the hoards of screaming fans and blue smoke?

- Matt W.

OK here's my beef. Some folks like cowbell, and it's a comedic tradition nowadays.

I like when a drummer rides the bell. When you have one of those great songs where the drummer goes to quarter notes on the bell (like in the bridge, or whatever), I'm in heaven. Some cymbals have such a weak bell sound that it makes me nuts.

I played with a drummer that hung a ship's bell on his kit. When he went to that, it rang out. About the same pitch as the bell on his ride, but it really cut. Me? I'd have gone to a slightly bigger bell for a lower pitch - I love that feel....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom , I have also always enjoyed a well placed bell chime, and say a solid cowbell at the right time can definitely be a good thing.

i.e. Mississippi Queen, Mountain

Jeremy, I agree that it is usually the question of "well placed" that goes unanswered.

There are too many of these examples to mention.

I also will second someone's earlier comment that, usually, a smaller kit means a better drummer.

Usually.

But then I think of Tony Williams, Pierre Moerlen, Bill Bruford....

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by Adamixoye:

IF U NEED MOR THEN 4 OR 5 DRUMS U MUST SUK EVERYONE NOSE YOUR ONLY SHOWING OFF IF U NEED MOR THEN 4 OR 5. JUST LIK BASSES 4 IS THA BESTEST!!!

Indeed... ;)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Sorry...I felt it had to be done.

But seriously, why are people taking an opinion one way or the other on this? Personally, I like basses with more strings, but drum sets with minimal-to-average drums and lots of cymbals. Just my preference.

The smaller the set the better the dummer? I dunno...it might be a good test of a good drummer to see what they can do on a small set, but I doubt it's a one-to-one correlation.

"Sometimes, less is more" is very different than "less is always more".

As usual, it's not in the details of the instrument or drum set, but what you do with it.

Originally posted by Adamixoye:

IF U NEED MOR THEN 4 OR 5 DRUMS U MUST SUK EVERYONE NOSE YOUR ONLY SHOWING OFF IF U NEED MOR THEN 4 OR 5. JUST LIK BASSES 4 IS THA BESTEST!!!

And introducing Adamixoye, who is playing the role of BenLoy for this performance...

:D

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived