Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How am I better than THAT guy??

dohhhhh6

Well, recently, and even before just recently, I've been wondering, what makes me better than THAT guy?

That guy could be the guitarist thinking he can play bass better than you, a bassist playing cliched riffs at the music store at high volumes, the cocky bassist, or just about anyone.

I'm wondering how am I better than any of them? To tell you the truth, just about anyone could pick up a bass, play in a cover band, and do pretty decent with only a few hours of practice. I'm not seeing where all (exaggerated a bit) my practice is paying off for me when it comes to becoming better.

Now sure "who's the better bassist" talk is bullshit, but I'm not thinking so hardly about this question for bragging rights, I'm thinking about this question hardly because if I'm not any better than that cocky guitarist who thinks he can play bass or that 4 month youngin, then how am I going to get anywhere?

Why would someone want to play with me instead of THAT other guy?

I just don't see right now why ANYONE'D choose me instead of THAT other guy.

I've been playing for about a full year with a formal teacher, know how to play slap, fingerstyle, and pick style, know the bare bones basics on theory (major/minor scales and what type of chord is played when), have a rig that's just barely capable of playing a drummer, and not much else. Hell, I can't even read music for goodness sakes!

Please, help me. I'm in a bit of a confused state right now and could use some sorting out.

In Skynyrd We Trust

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the question of who is better, or how you are better than someone else, is the wrong question to be asking yourself. It's pointless. There's always someone around who is better than you at some skill, but in the long run it doesn't matter. It just absolutely doesn't matter.

Let me give you an example from my life, not musically, but in my "day" job. I know fifty people, at least, who are better qualified to do my job than me. Why do I have that job, which has a lot of responsibility, pays well enough, and is a hell of a lot of fun sometimes? Because I had the necessary skills, I made myself available to the boss at the right time, and I have a reputation for being easy to work with. I know guys with Ph.D.'s who could do my job, maybe even better, but I got the job.

I think a better question to ask yourself is: Am I better than I was last year? Am I improving?

Don't even ask if you are good enough for some band or some gig. When the right band or gig comes along, you will be good enough, you will be the right person.

You're right, it's not just about chops or licks. It's about who you are as a musician and as a human being. You're doing something you enjoy, that you will want to do for the rest of your life. You're building the foundation that will enable you-- when the right band or gig comes along, the one where you belong, you will rise to the occassion, because you have done the necessary preparation.

Think long term. Think about where you want to be in a year, five years, fifty years. Be ready, and be available. Make yourself available to play, and be ready to play.

Bruiser

There's always gonna be a "that guy" who's a better bass player than you, in one respect or another.

But as you pointed out (although I don't entirely agree . . . but I see what you mean), anyone with a bit of an ear and a bit of practice can play a gig and get thru.

There's a lot more to being a good bass player than just playing in key, or having massive "technique." Supporting the tune and maintaining a good groove make you a better bass player in my opinion. Add the ability to not be a jerk, and you'll be a valuable asset to any band.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that don't minimize your own value just 'cuz you think somebody else sounds better on stage or record. There's ALWAYS somebody who's better in some regard. Just like there are a lot of people who are worse that have gigs. Just find the right gig and GO!

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Are you taller now than when you were three years old? Well, on which days between then & now did you notice how much taller you'd gotten since the previous day?

My point is that the results mount up fairly slowly, & you've not been doing it for that long. But they do mount up. That is, IF you keep at it faithfully. (And the alternative is just to let that same time go by, & have nothng to show.)

By taking too narrow a view on your progress, & by comparing yourself to others, you're actually getting in your own way. So ask, How will I know when I'm better than I was before? Set goals. Work at them. Celebrate when you reach them. Then do it again.

Originally posted by Da LadY In Tha Pink Dress:

I've been playing for about a full year with a formal teacher ...I can't even read music for goodness sakes!

Can't read music at all after a year of lessons? This, my friend, is in my estimation a problem.

Don't measure yourself against others, measure yourself against your own progress. Sometimes that progress is slow, sometimes it's fast. There's an ebb and flow to it.

What can you play now that you couldn't play 6 months ago?

Each of us brings our own special flavor to the mix, but there are also foundational things that we should all try to accumulate in our skill set and knowledge base -- like reading standard notation, reading charts, knowing chords and scales, learning different kinds of rhythms, trying to listen better, being able to play at different tempos, fingering notes without buzzes, etc.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I have to agree with Willie on this. First things need to be first. You've been around long enough to know what the first things are; set your goals there first, and commit!

I'm also a bit worried about this teacher of yours. He or she has taught techniques instead of the fundamental knowledge for comprehending the instrument & music in general? Shame on the teacher that does that!! (Mine did the same, btw.) Knowing how to make various noises & notes is enough for getting grab-ass gigs (or "gigs"), I guess, but nursery time's gonna be over really, really quick. Look ahead & get ready.

The bonus is that if you do that, in a few short years (at most) you'll be the one still playing & moving on while all guys who are hotshots today leave their axes in the closet. Results kick ass.

what makes me better than THAT guy?

Is this a competition? Why didn't someone tell me - time to get practicing! ;)

If you're concerned that you're not progressing (and it is a slow progress) try recording yourself, note the things you need to work on, practice to improve those weak points and then attempt the same pieces in 6 months and compare the recordings.

Recording yourself is invaluable, and with all the technology available nowadays there's no excuse for not doing so!

Alex

Don't ever worry about "That Guy". Some of the better bassist I have seen have problems playing in bands. Either they have such an ego and don't serve the song or the ego causes problems with other members.

There are tons and tons of bass players better than me but I have never had any problem finding a band. They like the way I serve the song and the ability to stay in the pocket. I can usually get along pretty well with the other band members too.

This thread reminded me of a song I heard when I was a kid.

It was a song about a gunfighter. It was called the Ballad if Irving. The phrase in the song that was being repeated was..

One hundred forty one could draw faster than he but Irving was looking for one forty three.

Relax. Have fun palying the bass. Don't compare yourself to others. There is always a faster gun than you out there somewhere.

To tell you the truth, just about anyone could pick up a bass, play in a cover band, and do pretty decent with only a few hours of practice. I'm not seeing where all (exaggerated a bit) my practice is paying off for me when it comes to becoming better.

Come on now, you don't really believe this, do you? Who would you rather have in your band? DLITPD of Jan '03 or DLITPD of Jan '04?

...I'm not any better than that cocky guitarist who thinks he can play bass or that 4 month youngin, then how am I going to get anywhere?

Why would someone want to play with me instead of THAT other guy?

I just don't see right now why ANYONE'D choose me instead of THAT other guy.

Well, is he a better "bassist" than you? If so, it isn't hard to find ways to be a better "bandmate" than he is. Remember, attitude and dedication go a LONG ways.

I've been playing for about a full year with a formal teacher . . . I can't even read music for goodness sakes!

Why can't you read music after a year? I'd bet it's for the same reason I'm a very mediocre reader after six years . . . because we haven't worked on it. We all can tell you definitely have the motivation to be a better musician. Use that motivation to improve where YOU want to improve, and not just where your teacher leads you.

Now stop worrying and have fun being a bass player. ;)

Ah, nice marmot.

Relax. Have fun. Four people in my own band play the bass better than me, but they trust me with this vital (their words) piece of the whole sound. You're probably better than me, I can't slap a lick and never use a pick and it would take me a hell of a lot longer than a couple of hours to be ready for a cover band. I once read an interview in which one of the Beatles was complaining that all the success got in the way of their improving as a band and getting really tight in their ensemble sound. Think of your band as a journey with your friends, you will get to your destination but the journey is the important thing.

Originally posted by earljam:

Relax. Have fun. Four people in my own band play the bass better than me, but they trust me with this vital (their words) piece of the whole sound. You're probably better than me, I can't slap a lick and never use a pick and it would take me a hell of a lot longer than a couple of hours to be ready for a cover band. I once read an interview in which one of the Beatles was complaining that all the success got in the way of their improving as a band and getting really tight in their ensemble sound. Think of your band as a journey with your friends, you will get to your destination but the journey is the important thing.

You have four bass player's in your band

and we have four bass players in our whole town

seems only fair. #$@!&^$(*&$% :mad:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

My band is looking for a new guitarist. We haven't been really actively looking, just sort of feeling around. About two weeks ago, and guitarist/singer/songwriter called my drummer and asked if he would lay down some drum tracks for him. Anyway, the question came up about who the guy was playing with, and it turned out he didn't have a band. He seemed really eager when my drummer asked if he would like to be in our band.

He called back after my drummer's vacation, and asked if we were still interested. Dwayne said yes, gave him a basic overview of the band and told him we'd give him a call when we got the next practice lined up. Well, Dwayne lost the guy's phone number. Two days after the last phone call, Dwayne was frantically looking for the phone number to call the guy. About five minutes into the search, the phone rang. Guess who? He says "hey, you guys haven't called me in the past couple of days. Just calling to make sure everything is OK and see if you have a date for that practice."

I have never heard this guy play. I've never talked to him. I've never even seen a picture of him, but as far as I'm concerned, he's in. Of course, I'm assuming that the guy can play OK if he's doing home studio work.

The point is that dedication and passion will open doors for you even if you don't have world-class skills and 30 years experience. The key to being a good band-mate is not "blow-em-outta-the-water" skills. It's as simple as having something to offer. Whether it's a new flavor of sound, enthusiasm, or just being able to hold down your end without feeling like you have to show-off everything you have every chance you get.

Originally posted by Talisman:

My band is looking for a new guitarist. We haven't been really actively looking, just sort of feeling around. About two weeks ago, and guitarist/singer/songwriter called my drummer and asked if he would lay down some drum tracks for him. Anyway, the question came up about who the guy was playing with, and it turned out he didn't have a band. He seemed really eager when my drummer asked if he would like to be in our band.

He called back after my drummer's vacation, and asked if we were still interested. Dwayne said yes, gave him a basic overview of the band and told him we'd give him a call when we got the next practice lined up. Well, Dwayne lost the guy's phone number. Two days after the last phone call, Dwayne was frantically looking for the phone number to call the guy. About five minutes into the search, the phone rang. Guess who? He says "hey, you guys haven't called me in the past couple of days. Just calling to make sure everything is OK and see if you have a date for that practice."

I have never heard this guy play. I've never talked to him. I've never even seen a picture of him, but as far as I'm concerned, he's in. Of course, I'm assuming that the guy can play OK if he's doing home studio work.

The point is that dedication and passion will open doors for you even if you don't have world-class skills and 30 years experience. The key to being a good band-mate is not "blow-em-outta-the-water" skills. It's as simple as having something to offer. Whether it's a new flavor of sound, enthusiasm, or just being able to hold down your end without feeling like you have to show-off everything you have every chance you get.

Man you sure sound like a very cool guy

hope he fits right in.Good luck :thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

As others have said, there's more to it than your ability to play (though you need to keep working on that, including the reading, which I suspect you've exaggerated).

It may not be easy to find with a search, but there are threads that have been active since you've been here that talk about what people bring to a band. Cooperation, preparedness, punctuality, flexibility, etc. Sure there are folks that can play wonderfully, but don't offer those other requirements.

I had a day job where there was a band made up of employees. I've sat in for their bassist during rehearsals, and on gigs for a song or two. I'm fairly certain that if that bassist left, they'd call me (there was some talk that I should just replace him). It's not that I play better - it's all of the attitude/flexibility things. He thrown an occasional fit about stuff; they know that's not my style. Maybe someday that band and I will work something out, and it won't be because I'm the best player on the block.

There are situational issues - for example, not everyone wants to be in a classic rock band. I know some great slap/jazz players that will never steal my gig from me.

And yes - there is competition. There are all the "who you know", "who likes you", etc. Do everything you are comfortable with to be open, friendly, and available. You meet lots of folks that value what you have - your own total "style".

And yes there is competition. 57pbass let me sit in at a gig once. Our playing styles are different. He is such a solid player that there's no way I get a gig when the people know him (unless he doesn't want it). No reason for his people to not choose him - he covers all the aspects of the job well.

My favorite "competition" story involved music-man. He played cello on an album, and I love the singer/songwriter/rocker that he works with. At one point she disbanded her band - later on music-man told me she was putting something together. I said "I lover her stuff - I'd love to play for her" thinking I might have a shot if he put in a good word. Then he said "well, I'm going to try out for the bass spot". Conversation over, because she knows the type of musician he is (solid, great player, reliable, etc.). I enjoyed seeing his first gig when the band came together!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by BenLoy:

A quote from the great Willie Weeks: "You'll always think the other cat has something you don't."

Just keep doing your thing. Let the world decide if you're good or not.

Wow! It took me along time to realize that!

You have to be yourself, and play what you like, and hopefully you'll find other like-minded individuals.

Alot of people would rather play with someone who has taste and sensibility, over a star with amazing chops.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Alot of people would rather play with someone who has taste and sensibility, over a star with amazing chops.
A lot of people here seem to make out like those two are mutually exclusive. Yet a lot of amazing chops can come with the well-prepared meal from the experienced chef. Besides, when it comes to taste, one person's FISH is anothers' poisson.

Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

...You have to be yourself, and play what you like, and hopefully you'll find other like-minded individuals...

I have a hard enough time being myself - I'd be totally screwed trying to be someone else !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Well oddly enough, I decided to give myself the mindset of "becoming better than I was before," got off my ass, played through the first few pages of my Mel Bay bass that teaches standard notation, and finished this wicked first position diatonic excercise in the key of C. Definitely a small victory there. Now if I can only get myself working on that damn boring theory book!

Thanks for helping me out. It was just that I got a bit frantic, I guess that'd be the word, when I heard from the guitarist of the jazz band I'm starting this Sunday that the really rich drummer got a bass recently-ish and had played bass for about 4-5 months. This got me worried that he could possibly show me up or what not and embarass me in front of the band (whose members I've never met, other than the guitarist).

But now, I think everything'll be fine as long as I play good and don't act like my obnoxious self until it's too late for them to bail! Bahahahaha!

In Skynyrd We Trust

You are not better or worse than anybody, you are UNIQUE, someone the world has never seen before and someone who can contribute positively or negatively to the world. Are you worse than Saddam or Charles Manson? Are you better than Mother Teresa or Jesus?

I came up with this theory about "the best bass player in the world". Regardless of talent or expertise, one of these days, for a brief moment in time, YOU will be "the best bass player in the world." Then you die. Then someone else gets to be "the best bass player in the world."

I once worshipped Jaco as "the best bass player in the world", then I saw him playing basketball in a street lot about 3-4 months before he died. I don't know what was in his head then, but he looked like he hadn't showered or slept in days. He did take a minute to stop playing basketball, reach into a van, pull out one of those classic fretlesses, and show me in 60 seconds why he was still "the best bass player in the world", but then threw (THREW!) the bass back in the van and ran off to play more basketball.

I really don't want to be "the best bass player in the world". And I don't want to be better than "THAT guy". I just enjoy being me, which is why I go by "Fred the bass player". :wave:

Archived