Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who do you think are the best URB players?

Re Che

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you had the nerve to leave out Ray Brown?

To say nothing of Charles Mingus, Oscar Pettiford, Scott LaFaro, Red Mitchell, Christian McBride, Stanley Clarke, John Patitucci, (just to list a few of my favorites).

Other posters will pop in and continue to whomp you upside the head with more names.

Oh, yes, and welcome to the Lowdown :wave:

Yes The great ray brown!! Seriously though I think ray is one of the best out there. My bad for not including him. :(

Also forgot Cachao, Andy Gonzalez,Chuck Israels, Jimmy Blanton, Neils-Henning Orsted Pedersen(sp?)

For Classical

Giovanni Botessini

Gary Karr

Domenico Dragonetti

And more that Im forgetting right now

Four posts and not one mention of Dave Holland or Edgar Meyer ? What the hell is wrong with you Bozos?

Richard Davis, Buster friggin' Williams, John Ore, Percy Heath, Rufus Reid, Charlie Haden???

What do you mean by "the best"? Fastest? Hardest swinging? Best Ears? Most creative? Most fun to hang with? What makes you think that "the best" isn't some city bus driver in Kokomo, Indiana?

Welcome to the LowDown.

Bottesini? Dragonetti?

Just how old ARE you? I've never heard these guys.

But I'll agree with virtually all the names listed.

And I'll raise you Glen Moore (Oregon) and young Kristen Korb (Ray Brown protege I had the pleasure of hearing and meeting last year.

Anyway a few days ago, before you got here, we'd just decided never to do the "who's your favorite" threads anymore.

So much for New Years Resolutions.

And welcome to the LowDown...great bunch of human beings.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Anyway a few days ago, before you got here, we'd just decided never to do the "who's your favorite" threads anymore.

My bad about that. I wont do em again :(

Just how old ARE you? I've never heard these guys.

I mean their music if i didnt mention that sorry. Ive heard some double-bass players play some of their works and I really appreciate it. I forget the guys name who I heard perform a dragonetti piece and I remeber hearing a cd from my band director where someone was playing bottesini, at least thats what he said. It was pretty good music to me.

My Post New Years resolution is to stop doing these kinds of topics :D

Some of my favorites, whom I listen to for pleasure, inspiration and education:

The funkiest--Sam Jones, with Cannonball Adderley, Bobby Timmons and the like, and Charles "Buster" Williams, whom JeremyC turned me onto when I was in high school.

Any bassist with Miles Davis--Percy Heath, Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Dave Holland.

The lyrical ones--Red Mitchell, Michael Moore, Eddie Gomez.

My favorite walkers--Ray Brown, Leroy Vinnegar and especially Israel Crosby (with Ahmad Jamal's trio w/ Vernell Fournier on drums.)

Scotty LaFaro, and on his coattails, Gary Peacock--they opened Pandora's Box and opened the way for us to be, ahem, really interactive.

Idiosyncratic and wonderful--Wilbur Ware (check Sonny Rollins' "A Night at the Village Vanguard" w/ Elvin Jones), and pre-electric Steve Swallow.

Grand Daddies Jimmy Blanton (his duets with Duke Ellington invented the horn-like bass solo) and Milt Hinton (the most killer slap player ever, IMO).

I've left out so many, Haden, Workman, Garrison, but those are the ones that rise in my mind first this evening.

Leroy Vinegar, Wilbur Ware, Sam Jones - sweeeeeeeet!

Sweet Willie, thanks for the honorable mention, but I am still very much a hack. I don't know why I gig so much on upright. What pisses me off is I'm starting to get the "do you play electric too?" line. :cry:

I always have my bass students listen to and buy Ray Brown. I just think he has the best walking lines ever. His solos aren't bad either.

I would also add Steve Rodby to the list. He has played with Pat Methany for a long time.

Gee whiz--I got this all wrong--the question is: who do you think ARE the best URB players? Present tense, and here I went down memory lane.

I don't know about the "best", but some of my favorites to listen to are:

Renaud Garcia Fons--as a composer and bass soloist, he is one bad, big-hearted mama-jama!

Ditto Avishai Cohen, and on electric, too.

Same goes for Chris McBride, but less as a composer, for me, than the first two. But as a player!!....

Some dude named Bozo (no kidding) from eastern europe somewhere; the most stunning classical virtuoso I ever heard.

Couple of homies made good--Peter Washington and Larry Grenadier. A guy here in the Bay Area, Jon Evans on both axes (check his electric playing with Tori Amos.)

Newer New Yorkers like Reid Anderson, Drew Gress, Jon Webber and maybe my favorite of all, Scott Colley.

Modern veterans Rufus Reid, Ray Drummond,Dave Holland, and Dennis Irwin, Steve LaSpina, Jay Anderson.

There are so many others, especially the middle aged masters that managed to elude the "market" and are just doing it, and a bunch of well-trained, talented youngsters coming up all over the place.

I'll throw out a kicker.

Diana Gannett

She was Gary Karr's first Masters student at Yale and is the successor to Stuart Sankey at the University of Iowa (where she got her Bachelors). Talk about a sweet tone!

Among the upright bassists that I enjoy listening to (live or on records) are Dennis Crouch, the late Junior Huskey, the late Roy Huskey Jr., Dave Roe, Bob Moore, Mark Winchester, and a host of others - there is no 'best'.

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

How about Leonard Gaskin:

Since I was listening to Lightnin Hopkins, I did some net research on who was one of his Bass Players, and they mention Leonard Gaskin. He has played with many people besides Lightnin' Hopkins. Very accomplished player.

Archived