Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Why is there so much phasing on tv?

Ok, I am not one to spend hours in front of the tv, but everytime I turn it on, it amazes me how much phasing goes on on certain channels. I live in Paraguay, but I do get FOX, well, some spanish version with all the fox shows subtitled into spanish. For example, I just turned on the tv, and when I got to fox, my eyes nearly popped out with all the weird compression, water-rushing sound coming in and out, aaaaaaaaaaargh! Does this happen to tv in the US and other countries aswell? art

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the most part it's usually OK here in the US... What you're hearing is probably the effects of poor studio maintenance. They dub a tape... someone has the channels out of phase... they dub it again... someone has the L&R switched...etc...etc... If it's really that bad this has probably happened several time before it gets to you. Bummer... I've heard some Cuban transmissions direct before..they sounded like crap. Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

CMT here in Canada has some of the worst compression pumping that I've heard on TV. It's so bad that it actually distracts me from the program. They replay old Austin City Limits programs and the compression just ruins it. I've changed the station rather than listen to the butchery. One thing I've noticed: I tend to listen through headphones a lot rather than speakers, and the ambiance changes that occur during dialogue replacement can be annoying. It's weird to suddenly hear a word or sentence that was obviously dubbed in afterwards. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b] One thing I've noticed: I tend to listen through headphones a lot rather than speakers, and the ambiance changes that occur during dialogue replacement can be annoying. It's weird to suddenly hear a word or sentence that was obviously dubbed in afterwards. -- Rob[/b][/quote]You must hate Fellini movies then ;)

A TV show that is bad for that is The Agency. They seem to have to keep changing stuff because it's too topical for the average person (yeah, right). -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

[quote]Originally posted by DC: [b]One thing's for sure; here in USA they've figured out how to make the ads around 9 db louder than the programs on a consistant basis.[/b][/quote]Here in Canada too. But then again, it's no trick to do it - just make sure that there's little to no dynamics. Voila! Louder than phuck. -- Rob

Archived