Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

amp questions

BigKahuna855

if i wanted to run 2 combo amps together, how would i go about doing that? any suggestions would be appriciated

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Get a "Y" cord.

2) Get an A-B box.

3) If one of the amps has two input jacks, plug your bass into one of the two jacks, then plug another cord into the other input jack and plug the other end into the input on the other amp.

4) If either amp has a preamp out, line out or direct out jack on the back, connect a cable from there into the input of the other amp.

5)In suggestion number four, if one of the amps has a power amp in jack on the back, connect the line out from the other amp into it.

5)If you smell smoke, turn everything off. :D

why do you need to do this?

I can't seem to find a reason for it. :confused:

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

wow, this is just what I am looking for, and no endless searching!

i have a gig for about 100 people this saturday and need some more volume than my one 25 watt combo

i can borrow a second 25 watter from a close friend, so if I can split my signal with a y-cord, i should be good to go?

.~.

Well, 50 watts is hardly coliseum rockin', but it beats 25. One bad thing about Y-cords: they load the already weak passive high impedance signal coming off a bass. That can compromise tone. Driving two amps with a passive bass makes better sense using one of the other methods Jeremy decribed. If you have any pedals with two outputs - that too may be a solution.

As Jeremy says, but combo amps don't have "power amp in" the more common name is "effects loop return".

If your combo has an effects loop run your Y split out of effects send with one side into effects return on your amp and the other side of the split to combo 2 effects return.

I have also found when using in house amps running my pre amp and effects straight into the effects loop return is a really useful option versus adjusting the gain structure of my setup and trying to tweak some foreign sounding gear.

Best of luck.

Yeah, it sucks to send the preamp out of one combo into the preamp (regular input) of the other... if you can avoid it, do so.

Sometimes you can use a headphone output, to drive another rig; consult manuals. If not, you can make a resistor cable to couple the stereo into a mono signal without harming headphone circuitry that doesn't advise stereo-to-mono use. But I suspect that's a little out of the beginner's area of confidence.

Originally posted by greenboy:

...consult manuals...

Manuals? What's a "manuals"? :confused:

When I was but a pup and newbie to the instrument I had a delay pedal w/ stereo outputs. I loved hooking that pedal up to two amps and sending the delayed signal one way and the regular signal the other way. I think an effects pedal w/ two outputs is a fine way to get two amps/combos rolling w/ thunder!

:thu:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I have a Gallien Krueger 400RB 210 Combo...can I just plug straight from the available output jack into the other combo?

A friend has an Ampeg BA115...if I could hook both of those up, that would be a great combination of earth shattering noise and punchy high-end...

Originally posted by jeremyc:

3) If one of the amps has two input jacks, plug your bass into one of the two jacks, then plug another cord into the other input jack and plug the other end into the input on the other amp.

Does this work when the inputs are at different dB levels (e.g. Low vs High Gain or Active vs Passive)?

5)If you smell smoke, turn everything off. :D
Amplifiers are like power tools... they run on smoke. If the smoke gets out then it's time for a new one.
- Matt W.

Many of the big guys do this (albeit with larger than 25 watt amps).

You mean bad-ass players of the caliber of, say, Jeremy Cohen, Wally Malone, Brian Timpe, et al., on the west coast and Ben Loy, Thomas Brinkley, Thomas Capasso, et al. on the east coast, right? ;):D

Or perhaps you mean "big guys" like Bill Dickens? :confused::D Although I think he's just running a single, thunderous AccuGroove rig right now... :cool:

:wave:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I've done this before, but boosting the highs a bit more on one amp along with some distortion. I took the preamp out of my Trace combo and ran it to the Active input of a Fender BXR combo. I think it was around 300 watts all total. It provided a psuedo-stereo effect and really thickened up the tone. I didn't use so much distortion that it sounded like mud. I used just enough where you could barely hear it underneath the other amp. It gave an overdrive sound to it.

And Greenboy, what are these manuals you speak of? Is that the packing materials in the box with the words on them?

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this work when the inputs are at different dB levels (e.g. Low vs High Gain or Active vs Passive)?

Yes, it'll will work, not great, but it's the poor man's solution. Of course you will get a lot of noise when you connect the two amps because the cord will be hot on both amps. Turn the volumes down before you do it.

1) Get a "Y" cord.

2) Get an A-B box.

4) If either amp has a preamp out, line out or direct out jack on the back, connect a cable from there into the input of the other amp.

5)In suggestion number four, if one of the amps has a power amp in jack on the back, connect the line out from the other amp into it.

5)If you smell smoke, turn everything off.

what is a "Y" cord and how can i get one??

what is an "A-B box" and how can i get one?

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

I had the same question, and a guy at RadioShack helped me figure this whole thing out.

A y-cord is similar to your regular cord that goes from your bass to your amp, however 1 end has two jacks on it. This allows you to connect to two amps from one bass. Often, though, this y-cord will just be a little connector piece, maybe only 5 inches of cord overall, and you connect ur cord to it, and another cord (with one male end and the other female) to the other amp.

I recently got this setup, and use it like so:

bass -> A/B box , A signal goes to 100 watt BA-115, the A signal then gets split into two crate bx-25's that i have (yes, three combos!??!?!). That is like a weak 2x10 and 1x15 stack, which works for me w/o a PA for audiences up to 100.

Give it a shot!

- peaceOUT,

Germain

.~.

Archived