Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Lowdown Bar...

Graham56

Originally posted by 57pbass:

I'll have an Irish Car Bomb ..

Thank You Very Much.....

This cracks me up :D I dare anyone here to go into the Crown (Belfast pub, famous for being the most bombed bar in the world) and ask for that drink? You'd be using youir knee-caps for ashtrays afterwards.

Cup

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by rockinredneck69:

Originally posted by CupMcMali:

I hope there's a smelly table for us functioning alcoholics to sit at?!

Cheers.

Cup

:wave: over here bubba!
Nice to have some good drinking company Rockin, I'll have a Guiness in a dirty glass :thu:

This cracks me up I dare anyone here to go into the Crown (Belfast pub, famous for being the most bombed bar in the world) and ask for that drink? You'd be using youir knee-caps for ashtrays afterwards.
Yes, at that point it probably wouldn't make much sense to look in the Political Correctness threads for a clue ; }

Greenboy, the name of the drink appeals to my cracked sense of humour, the drink appeals to my pallette! Some folks over here may take offense...

but then again some folk take offense at everything!

Start bringing us a pitcher every 10 minutes until someone passes out, then every 8 minutes.

Thanks for chiming in Mr. Helper! :D
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

This cracks me up I dare anyone here to go into the Crown (Belfast pub, famous for being the most bombed bar in the world) and ask for that drink? You'd be using youir knee-caps for ashtrays afterwards.

What do they call that drink in The Crown?

As mentioned in my earlier post I was introduced to this drink by an bartender who just arrived hear in the states from Ireland and resides in Woodside - an area in Queens that has many great Irish Pubs and people...

Did not mean to offend anybody.. I am part Irish myself...

Happy Thanksgiving to all.....

www.danielprine.com

57pbass, I certainly wasn't offended by you. But sometimes I wonder why people name things "cleverly", thinking themselves so witty, and without thinking about what it can mean to others. (Or maybe they do, and just don't care).

tying in with the political correctness stuff; yes, so much of it is ridiculous. But a small bit of it, I can understand from others' perspectives. Ferinstance, I can see amerind women not liking the "squaw" stuff. {Actually, I could see how some amerinds may not be real enthusiastic about the "eat too much turkey and watch sports holiday" either ; }...

But these word war games all are just symptoms of something deeper.

From Greenboy..

But sometimes I wonder why people name things "cleverly", thinking themselves so witty, and without thinking about what it can mean to others. (Or maybe they do, and just don't care).

Well said Greenboy -

When this bartender introduced me to this drink It was almost an akward moment I immediately thought to myself - What a strange name for a drink especially witht the history of bombings in Ireland - and coming from as I mentioned someone who just arrived from Ireland.

I decided not to discuss the name of this drink at that time since the guy at the bar sitting to my right and involved in our chat was drinking Red Bull (liquid cafienne and sugar) and Jamesons - was a bit crazed and perfectly capable of doing that "kneecap thing "to me - when the timing is right for me I will find out how this drink name came to be...

www.danielprine.com

57 Bass, simple, the name came about from neccessity. Anywhere there's hardship, violence etc the people use humour to lighten their day. Gallows humour so to speak!

Laugh and the world laughs with you, and such. In N.Ireland people call small change "shrapnel", strange for a country that's seen so many innocent people killed and maimed by the very stuff.

Like so many things, it's o.k for those closest to laugh about it. If a tourist asked for that drink in the Crown (or any other N.Iron pub) the place would go quiet, in an Irish accent, it wouldn't be heard. Kinda like everyones right to slag off their family, but if some one else does...there's trouble.

NO offense taken!

Irish Car Bombs? Aren't most of us out of college at this point?

Funny, in college we couldn't afford Guiness, Bailey's, and Jameson.

So we invented Trailer Bombs:

1/2 Can of Natural Ice

1 Shot of Mr. Boston's Creme Liquor

1 Shot of Leeds Whiskey

A bit different on the way down, but produced the same effect on the way back up. :D

Well, if this is a bar (Barkeep! Macnaughtons! And a Guinness back! :D ) somebody needs to be telling bad jokes. So since we're on the subject of Ireland...

Three Englishmen sit down in a pub in London and notice an Irishman reading the paper in the corner. One of the Englishman says to his mates, "Hey, let's see if we can't piss off that Irishman!" He approaches the Irishman and sneers, "I hear that your St. Patrick was a sissy!"

The Irishman looks up and calmly replies, "You don't say?" before turning back to his paper. The Englishman goes back to his friends, disappointed.

The second Englishman tells his friends, "You just don't know how to do it! Watch this!" He walks over to the Irishman and says, "I hear that your St. Patrick was a bugger!"

Again, the Irishman calmly replies, "Really? I didn't know that!" and goes back to reading the news. The second Englishman shuffles disconsolately back to his own table.

The third Englishman laughs at his friends. "Amateurs! Watch, and I'll show you how it's done!" He struts on over to the Irishman and declares, "I hear that your St. Patrick was an Englishman! Ha!"

The Irishman glances up at the Englishman, and then goes back to reading as he replies, "Yes, that's what your friends were telling me."

ah yes, the bar, where cup mcmali is challinging everyone to a drinking contest and/or starting a fight.(no offence but i love that irish steriotype)

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Originally posted by getz76:

Irish Car Bombs? Aren't most of us out of college at this point?

Funny, in college we couldn't afford Guiness, Bailey's, and Jameson.

So we invented Trailer Bombs:

1/2 Can of Natural Ice

1 Shot of Mr. Boston's Creme Liquor

1 Shot of Leeds Whiskey

A bit different on the way down, but produced the same effect on the way back up. :D

Wow just reading that made me sick. :freak:

Recently my favorite drink has been a bloody mary. You'll be able to find me over by the pool table with aussie

Originally posted by Aussie bass dude:

No thanks, I dont drink Fosters, Actually I dont know any Australians that drink Fosters. Just a schooner of VB please

Anyone up for a game of pool?

Ahh yes victoria's bitter. Had some Aussie sailors introduce us to real Australian beer back in my Navy days. We were rightly chastised for drinking Fosters. Then they used an introduction to Aussie rules football as an excuse to beat us up ;)

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Originally posted by earljam:

Connie, could Chickenfoot Gumbo open for you one night?

We would be honored to have Chickenfoot Gumbo open for us. I think our new band name is going to be "The Quarter Notes." We'll be playing rockin' oldies, and it would be refreshing to have some cool Cajun/Zydeco music to start things rolling. Some great cajun dancing will get everyone in the right spirit!

I LOVE the picture on your site of the two little boys, and only someone from Nu Awlins (like myself) would be able to know that while the chickenfoot seems authentic enough, the "chicken noodle soup" will NOT pass for gumbo!

Where is Chickenfoot Gumbo based? I looked around your site, but could not find a location.

And now, I would like to buy the house a round of Bloody Marys and Virgin Marys, and bartender, please make sure to add a spot of Tabasco to each as well as a 1/4 teaspoon of horseradish!

... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

.........ouzo and raki for everyone!......
Thank you, but I'll pass on the ouzo.

Played 'Quarters' with it once.

.....once......

...Very bad mistake.....

where cup mcmali is challinging everyone to a drinking contest and/or starting a fight.(no offence but i love that irish steriotype)

Pulled into Ireland in my Navy days, and the Irish sailors we ran into drank us under the table. Really was impressive. No fight though. Whew...

(Stares absently at the far wall where the velvet Elvis is hanging. Wonder who brought that in?.....)

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Does our bar have those little pizzas, or some kind of snack foods? I usually don't eat for at least 4 hours before a gig, but then afterwards I am starving to death.

If we are ordering out, then I'd like to request:

A sloppy roast beef poor-boy, or

A half a muffulatta, or

A nice-sized portion of spicy boiled crawfish, or

A delicious stuffed artichoke!

Any of those would suffice!

And I'd like to order an O'Douls Amber (non-alcohol beer beverage).

And I am putting my quarters up to play the winner at the pool table.

Who's on stage next?

.... connie z

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

They serve food here, too? Oh my... :eek:

Me and a couple of friends just started a rock trio. We are called "The Ultra-Fine Reducers". Yes, that is the stupidest name we could come up with. The guitarist/singer writes a bulk of the material and we know another 400 or 500 songs just from having gigged so much with other bands.

Anyway, we would love to play. What's it pay? And do we get food and drinks for free?

Originally posted by BigKahuna855:

ah yes, the bar, where cup mcmali is challinging everyone to a drinking contest and/or starting a fight.(no offence but i love that irish steriotype)

I'll steer clear of the stereo-type, finish my drink and go home.

p.s watch your back :D

Combining this thread with the "paperback books I've totally lined my walls with to give my music room better acoustics" (It works! They soak through a pretty wide rane of frequencies!) - I'd like to meet at Spider Robinson's CALLAHAN'S CROSSTIME SALOON. If one has read though the series they will note that musical and other entertainments were frequent and inspired, and THE LADY SLINGS THE BOOZE also offered gentlemen the opportunity to explore the World's Oldest Profession.

Combining this thread with the "paperback books I've totally lined my walls with to give my music room better acoustics" (It works! They soak through a pretty wide rane of frequencies!)
Hey Greenboy, this is great to know! I have been planning to convert my carport into a practice studio this summer. One of the concerns I've had is that one wall will be concrete block and I was going to have to fir it out and insulate it. However, I was also considering just building a bookcase along the entire wall in order to solve my problem with book storage.Kinda kill two birds with one stone.I might lose a bit more floor space but it would be worth it. Thanks for the info.

Your next round's on me! :thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

I built cases clear to the ceiling on one wall, some 8" deep enough for standard hardback, and some 6" deep for paperback. Interspesed there are areas for various electonic doohickies, small music things, etc.

Another wall has 6" deep shelves starting at 4 feet and going up to the ceiling (interspersed are CD and cassette areas so there aren't any huge hard-reflection areas). Starting at 4 feet allows one to put deep foam below, or a drummer close by, or TALL BASS RIGS ; }

Another wall starts book cases above the desk area and these are 10" deep, lower ones with various office stuff, upper ones for tons of trade magazines, music books, manuals, computer software manuals, etc. And ones to the side just above filing cabinets and secondary computer bay are for around 10 linear feet of vinyl, and tons of other things.

Final wall has computer bay from floor right up to ceiling next to phone and turntable and cassette and CD burner/player. Next to that, a slide-in bay for racks, the ones that go to gigs, with all cables/connectors installed so that the cables that go to gigs are not also doing home rehearsal and playback duty. Next to that, my main bass rig bay, with space above for the single playback/rehearsal main that gets brought into house after gigs, and two really big -3dB at 30 Hz subs that never leave, and more space for drum cases, extra amps, gutar cases and stands, etc in a final bay with a 16" shelf above it at 4 feet to use for more big stuff if needed.

The room has a very good mix of absorption and reflection, and it doesn't hurt that it has a cathedral ceiling. It sounds VERY tight and clean in here - better than some home studios that have had actual official sound treatment - and it can deal with high SPL better than most stages I play on. And there are even two well-buffered windows right where I sit, with a good view of the mountains.

All made with MDF and pine and countersunk drywall screws for next to nothing, and modular. Well, the chelves and bays I mean. I didn't make the mountains.

Maybe next lieftime.

Archived