Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your CD rotation now....again!

davebrownbass

Got a PM from Sweet's, and I agree...new stuff out there...

I'm currently spinning the Robert Randolph and Family Band "Unclassified." A great spiritual message surrounded by phenomenal musicianship, led by a black Pentecostal steel guitar player full of joy!

Also, "Skip, Hop and Wobble." Edgar Meyer, bass. Jerry Douglas, Dobro. Russ Barenberg, guitar.

Now, of course, Edgar Meyer is a phenomenal bassist. But I chose this CD because I'm really getting into the Dobro playing of Jerry Douglas. And Surprise, surprise. Russ Barenberg's guitar playing is what I enjoy most!

I'm also listening to soundtrack cuts of the Blues Brothers...primarily because I have to cover these charts in a HS "teacher-talent" show. How sweet it is to cover Duck Dunn bass lines!

So...what'cha listening to?

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- The Beatles - Let It Be... Naked

For some reason, I still like the Spectorized version a lot. That's not to say this version is no good, but perhaps it'll grow on me. The extra CD is full of the conversations, so that's a nice bonus.

*- Bennie Wallace - Twilight Time

Borrowed this mostly because of the featured soloists: John Scofield, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. The arrangements are a bit more straightforward than what I'm used to, which means I can actually follow Eddie Gomez's nimble lines.

*- Roy Buchanan - Sweet Dreams: The anthology

As far as I'm concerned, Roy paved the way for a lot of Tele masters, including Danny Gatton.

*- Jeff Buckley - Grace

Great songwriter. He left us much too early, but left behind some brilliant music.

Let's see... my iPod's latest rotation includes:

- Jazz Express, featuring our own Mr. Cohen. VERY tasty! Jeremy illustrates the ability to play interesting, complex lines in the context of a song without sounding like a chop-monster.

- Rollins Band, End of Silence. The BEST work-out CD of all time, period. Plus, the lyrical magic of lines such as "I am the man from the human choke hold" leave the listener pondering the beauty of the world.

- The Essential Stan Getz. Duh. Look at the handle. :D

Our own Max Valentino's A Caravan of Dreams and Miles Davis' Kind of Blue are spinning at work, with Robert Randolph and the Family Band getting play when I need an extra "pick-me-up."

Erik B. and Rakim's Paid in Full is the current automobile selection -- puttin' some bump in my ride. ("Erik B. is on the cut!")

At home it's Herbie Hancock's Headhunters CD. You can never ever get enough Herbie funk!

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

New Sting - growing on me.

Jaco Big Band Revisited - the one with all of the hot players today playing Jaco's part in the tunes. As you know, I am not a big Jaco fan (I know, I know, how can I play bass and not be) but I like the players on this CD.

Jimmy Haslip - Just Classic Jazz books 1-3. Trying to learn the heads and more challenging - Jimmy's transcribed solos.

Joe Sample - Best of.

Chris Potter--Traveling Mercies

great sax player

Wayne Krantz--Greenwich Mean, Your Basic Live

groundbreaking guitarist

Eric Bibb--Natural Light

a contemporary blues singer and guitarist, kind of similar to Keb Mo or early Taj Mahal.

and just got a dvd:

Sade---Live.

Incredibly tight band. The definition of taste and groove. Paul Henman sounds great (and looks great) playing his Stingray.

davidbrown bass, thank you - Robert Randolph and the family- I seen this band a few months ago on some tv show and thought what a great group but could not rembember the name . I guess i was to amazed that victor wooten came on next.

in my cd player

new dream theater

new bon jovi

cab 2

pink floyd the wall

rush -illegal down loads

zebra -who's behind the door

Rock-n-roll junkie

Let it Be...Naked - I dig it.

Pearl Jam - Lost Dogs - Cool since I'm a big Pearl Jam fan, but not much here I haven't heard already. And what I hadn't heard isn't that cool. Vedder whining about Layne Staley is particularly annoying.

Sevendust - Seasons - Rawk. More accessible than their older stuff.

Originally posted by DigiVoices:

Led Zepplin - Early Days

I love ya Digi, but dammit, I'm sick of people misspelling Zeppelin.

Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

Erik B. and Rakim's Paid in Full is the current automobile selection -- puttin' some bump in my ride. ("Erik B. is on the cut!")

Ahh, to be a 11 year old who loved hip-hop again...

"I kick a hole in the speaker, pull the plug then I jet..."

Ah, nice marmot.

been listening a lot to year of the rabbit lately, as well as the new thursday. year of the rabbit is sort of an indie supergroup, but not at all like zwan. ken andrews from failure and a guy from shiner. if you'd heard of failure, and especially if you liked them, go get this disc.

i've also been listening to a band from spain called aina. they're really good. and right now i'm listening to pearl jam's ten. i haven't listened to this disc in a few years. it's so good. and everything is reverbed. that's funny. incredible songs and recordings for a "debut" album.

robb.

Just changed stuff out in the player this morning.

Seether - Disclaimer

I was in the mood for something loud, rowdy and energetic.

Phil Keaggy - 220

Smooth, smooth, smooth.

The Hellecasters - Return of the Hellecasters

Every time I pull this one out of the archives I'm amazed at how truly demented these three must be.

Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True Special Edition

The bonus tracks at the end of this from his work tapes and demos are a gas!!!

Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire II

Yeah, yeah, it's sterile, processed and a bit sleepy, but after Seether I needed something to mellow out.

Roy Orbison - Greatest Hits

I still miss that voice....

Later..................

A wild mix of stuff:

The Clash: London Calling

Classic new wave/punk that I realized I never had in my record collection, so I had to buy it. Great stuff.

Bryan Beller: View

Unbelievably great funk/rock/fusion debut. I've been a Bryan Beller fan for awhile due to his work with Mike Keneally, and he's really outdone himself on his first record.

The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds

Once again: "This is a great record...why don't I own it?"

The Dead Kennedys: Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

Ultra-angry hardcore punk. So rude, so offensive, so funny. Also incredibly tight and whacked out arrangements with atonal unison lines that wouldn't be out of place in a Frank Zappa composition.

King Crimson: Discipline

I love this record, so I've been listening to it a lot.

Critters Buggin: Bumpa

Funky, wacky, and groovin'.

Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life

Because it's so completely awesome.

Not new, but what I have been listening to lately:

1. Brecker Brothers, Out of the Loop. Great stuff, funky as can be and Mike Breckers tenor solos are each a lesson in improvisation. That man is not from this planet. He blows me away everytime.

2. Adam Nitti - Evidence. This guy is for real. Tone to die for. He nails all the styles from Jeff Berlinish mega-chops to M'Shell N'edegeocelloish funk. I love this cd.

3. Alejandro Sanz - Mas

This guy has had a couple of cd's since this one, but this one is my favorite- Great , beautiful pop songs in Spanish. Production is top notch. I actually appeared on Spanish TV with him, but it was playback. I was blown away when i heard the songs. I gave him a note saying I really could play, not just fake it- and if he ever needed a bassist... it could happen still Ladies and Gents.

4. Lots of Salsa, Merengues and Cumbias !!

I just got a cd from the leader in the Latin Band I play in

www.latinbreeze.com

and it has over 100 songs. I m trying to get deeper into the nuances of Latin bass playing.

I did not realize how talkative I am today- I better go do something productive!-

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Robert Randolph - Live at the Wetlands

Mike Gordon - Inside In (not main steam stuff, kind of wierd, but it leads me to my next CD...)

Phish - Random songs from shows and some tracks from Rift

Dave Matthews Band - 11.29.95 (I think that's the date)

Soullive - can't remember the name of the disc

Pictures at an Exibition - Classical stuff including "Marche Slave" and "Night on Bald Mountain."

(Hit the "add post" instead of the "preview post" button and I wasn't done)

www.geocities.com/nk_bass/enter.html

Still working on it...

No Thanks! - It's a 70s punk rock compilation. The best part? I have to listen to it as research for a paper on British vs. American punk I'm writing. Has all the classics on it, and I'm constantly impressed at some of the basslines from bands that "didn't know how to play"

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

This will never leave my collection. Ever. Best live album I've ever heard.

Tiger Army - S/T

Psychobilly with a pretty good URB player

Mindless Self Indulgence - Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy

Psychotic electroclash. So ridiculous it hurts.

The Beatles - 1

Getting a new appreciation for the simplicity and elegance of the basslines in here. I need to go get Let it Be - Naked post-haste.

As I was going up the stairs

I met a man who wasn't there

He wasn't there again today

I wish, I wish he'd go away

In my house changer:

Frank Black and the Catholics - Show Me Your Tears: Sounds like Leonard Cohen being raped by Bob Dylan, if Dylan had a Joe Strummer fetish. Solid work; about on par with "Black Letter Days."

Peter Gabriel- Up: Brilliant. A year later, this record still blows me away. Tony Levin never disapoints when he's working with Gabriel.

David Bowie - Reality: It's growing on me, but I think I still like "Heathen" more. This thing feels surprisingly sterile.

Beastie Boys- Hello Nasty: Just recntly bought this one. It's aged fairly well in that it is fun to listen to, but if it came out today, *no one* would be tlaking about how inventive these guys are. Really makes me curious to hear what sort of stuff they'd release now, given the drastic changes in the sound of modern hip-hop.

Tori Amos- Scarlet's Walk: She still has never surpassed the fierceness of her first record, but this album does set aside some of the weirdness for the sake of weirdness that made her last few studio records seem distant (though compelling).

Therion- Secret of the Runes*: Opera metal. It's hard to do this stuff iwthout it sounding silly. They mostly succeed. Mostly.

Suzanne Vega- 99.9 F: Still some of Bruce Thomas' best work. I still dig out "Get Happy" when I really wnat to here him get down, but this is a close second.

In the car:

David Byrne- Look into the Eyeball: Byrne finally realized that, for all of his fascination with world music, he's a pop singer. Sounds like Talking Heads meets Peter Gabriel. And that's a very good thing.

*- I *think* that's the right title...

For sale: 1992 or 1993 Carvin LB20F fretless 4-string with lines. Black with black hardware. Good player, fair amount of wear. $250 shipped.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Bryan Beller: View

Unbelievably great funk/rock/fusion debut. I've been a Bryan Beller fan for awhile due to his work with Mike Keneally, and he's really outdone himself on his first record.

Word.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life

Because it's so completely awesome.

Double word. That is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Lamb - Between Darkness and Wonder - a beautiful album, they've added great songs to their usual drum'n'bass formula.

Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X - avoided this one when it came out because I just didn't believe the rest would compare with the beautiful 6 underground. It doesn't, but it's still a very good album.

Jazzactuel 3 cd compilation of avante garde/free jazz from BYG/Actuel catalogues 1969-71. Archie Shepp, Sunny Murray, Don Cherry, Art Ensemble of Chicago etc selected by Thurston Moore and Byron Coley. Awesome.

Thomasz Stanko Soul of Things - Stanko is a European trumpeter who explores areas reminiscent of Miles in his most meditative moods with a great band. Really beautiful music.

Rapture Echoes - exploring post-punk territory reminiscent of The Cure, Joy Division etc with added beats. They have the songs to make this a lot better than my description suggests.

Art Ensemble of Chicago Les Stances A Sophie

Eurythmics Greatest Hits - hearing Annie Lennox on TV recently made me realise how much I've always underestimated this band.

In heavy rotation right now:

View - Bryan Beller

I've had this in heavy rotation for the last 3-4 months. It rules. A lot. You should really own it.

The Jelly Jam - The Jelly Jam

Let's see... Ty Tabor, John Myung, and Rod Morgenstein record an album together. Is it going to rule? Most definately. It sounds kinda like a "Ty only singing" King's X album.

Under the Table and Dreaming - Dave Matthews Band

Probably my favorite offering from them.

Bitches Brew - Miles Davis

I'd forgotten how much I love this album, especially CD 2. "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down" just kills.

Word of Mouth Revisited - Misc. artists

I skip "Teen Town" every time I listen to it... other than that track, this album is great.

SYL - Strapping Young Lad

Devin Townsend is a friggin' amazing MF. He can sing/scream like a maniac, play insane guitar, and write killer songs. I LOVE this album.

P.O.D. - Payable on Death - I got it for my kids but I've listened to it more than they have. They finally got a decent g@%#$r player.

Miles Davis - Bitces Brew - I love this CD.It's really cool to pull up next to a kid blaring whatever, and pump Miles with 500 watts behind him.

Pablos Dove - I've got an audition with them next week so I'm trying to catch the vibe they're after.

peace,

ransom

pray peace, all love and unity

"There are only two kinds of music; good and bad."

~Duke Ellington~

Originally posted by ransom:

Miles Davis - Bitces Brew - I love this CD.It's really cool to pull up next to a kid blaring whatever, and pump Miles with 500 watts behind him.

:D I thought I was the only one who did that!

I have 1100 watts though.. ;)Phoenix Gold Titanium series 600 for the sub, and 500 for the highs. I can destroy things with my truck's stereo, at respectable distances.

One of my favorite things to do in the summer is cruise the 'strip' and play Zappa at mind-altering decibel levels.

Interpol -- Turn on the Bright Lights

Truly exceptional NYC artsy stuff...

I have a hard time describing it better than saying its a new version of Joy Division.

Particular tracks of intrest include,

PDA which has gained some popular acclaim

Untitled simply beautiful

Obstacle 2 Because friends dont waste wine, when there's words to sell

Stella was a diver and she was always down ...

cmon just listen to the title to that one eh?

and for supporting my music community i last thursday night went to the Orpheum Theatre for Mozart's Requiem, performed by the LSO.

:)

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Clatter Blinded by Vision A Lowdowner no less! If you haven't picked up their CD yet, you need to. Really! (Don't miss a chance to see them live either, it's always better when your beer is vibrating off your table ;) )

Stevie Ray Vaughn Texas Flood Tommy Shannon is solid.

Cranes Several different CD's - I guess they'll always be in there. Jim's compositions just get better and better. (Not Bass-centric at all.)

Boston Boston A classic.

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; one lick and you suck forever.

my curent list

any jaco album

" police "

some James brown

and my new favorite is Dap Dippin' with

Sharon Jones

and the

Dap Kings

This cd is get down and funk style that just makes you want play low and funky.

i grew up watching TV and i turned out TV

Originally posted by Gogrick:

Clatter Blinded by Vision A Lowdowner no less! If you haven't picked up their CD yet, you need to. Really! (Don't miss a chance to see them live either, it's always better when your beer is vibrating off your table ;) )

Judging by the pictures I've seen, it must be great fun to see Amy gyrating as she sings, hits pedals, and plays bass all at once. :love:

Christian McBride - SciFi

Allan Holdsworth - i.o.u.

Johnny Lang - Long Time Coming

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Left of Cool

George Duke - Face the Music :thu:

The Yellowjackets - Time Squared

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived