Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me and my neck heavy Fender P Bass, please

ondray

Thanks to my friend for carrying it all the way from SF to Singapore. It's a 2003 (well, the guy said so) model American Fender Precision Bass.

But I find the neck keeps diving towards the floor when i let go of the bass. I have tried adjusting the strap length but to no avail.

I thought of hanging lead on the strap near the bridge or getting a new rough leather strap to prevent it from slipping at the shoulder.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I play a P as well. I took my P to the store and tried out several straps. I found a very functional with very think padding for my shoulder too. I make sure that I adjust the strap as tight as it will go on the neck side of the bass and do all of my adjusting as far as length on the Body side of the strap. It has worked great for me. Hope this helps.

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

In a recent article in Bass Player, one artist discusses this problem and says how he solved it.

Albeit, his method involves some permanent changes to the bass that only a few professionals can do.

Consider shaving some wood off the headstock, but be careful to remember that this might affect tone!!!

Beware!!! The bass is meant to be how it is for a reason!

You can ponder modifications, or even getting a new bass or strap.

Ur call,

peaceOUT,

Germain

.~.

Originally posted by bassplayer5217:

......Consider shaving some wood off the headstock, but be careful to remember that this might affect tone!!!......

Ur call,

peaceOUT,

Germain

.....just make sure you don't use a steak knife.

:rolleyes:

PJR

Big leather straps do a fine job of keeping most basses in place. If that doesn't work you could move the lower strap button further up the body, add an 18v preamp and two 9v batteries to weigh the bass down, stick a J-bass neck on, or wear the bass higher (probably the easiest solution).

Alex

Originally posted by Mr M Pulsive:

You could also consider getting some Ultralight tuners from Hipshot products . They make a bigger difference than one might think.

-Mike

Very true !!!

Along the same lines....I installed a Hipshot D-tuner on my Sterling a while back......and could notice the slight increase in weight and how it affected the overall balance of the Sterling.

....and that was just 1 tuner !!

PJR

Another option that works for some basses is to add a strap button higher up on the edge of the body - it changes the balance a bit.

With my Gibson EB3, the strap button positioning makes balance a hopeless task. I bought the Planet Waves strap with the rachet ends and a sliding strap pad. When I let go the head dives, but I don't care - the rachet ends ensure that the strap doesn't let go.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

As I always say, start stupid. Try a heavier strap that stays put. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, you'll have a good strap. I think I'd definitely start there before I started swapping out parts, hacking bits off, or drilling holes. If you think about it, a lot of people play that type of bass, & they make it work without invasive mods.

I use a 4" leather strap that's 26 years old.

The back is unfinished, untanned, raw leather. That's the key.

If the back of the strap is smooth, neck dive can result.

I have had this strap stolen 3 times (along with the basses) and bought it back all three times.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

One thing that might help is to stand with the neck oriented in a region of lesser gravity. This places the body into a positive local gravitational variation, and this, of course "pulls" the bass into the position you'd prefer.
C.V.: Snowboarder (1983-), Bass Owner (1996-), Chemistry Teacher (1997-) & Serious Bass Student (2003-)

Originally posted by MartinJ:

One thing that might help is to stand with the neck oriented in a region of lesser gravity.

A region of lesser gravity... Like the Moon?

Cool! Moon Bass Alpha anyone? And if just the neck is there, do I need NASA to tune? :D:rolleyes:

Peace,

wraub

p.s. I agree with dcr, go from to lesser to greater, as it were. A solution need not involve hardware.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

On the other hand, if you point the neck towards an area of very great gravity--say, a singularity--then on the one hand you will gradually come to feel that neck dive is the least of your problems, and on the other you will achieve incredible scale length.

As I said, I like to start stupid.

Archived