Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Fret Board

73 P Bass

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As it has turned out most of my basses have rosewood fretboards. However, I prefer the sound and feel of maple.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

It depends on the bass. A fretless I'd go with an Ebony board for the hardness and color. But, on an old P bass, I'd have to choose a maple board. If i were going to try out for Erik's band, I'm sure I'd have to have an ebony or rosewood board on a black bass, although if I showed up with a really nice P bass with a maple board that looked like it had been played on every gig known to man, I might be OK. My Zon had a phenolic board that resembled rosewood or ebony. I had a Fender with a Pao Ferro board that was really sweet.

Damn. I didn't want to be that asshole who has to find fault in the poll. I'm going to vote for Ebony since it has the nice dark look and maple sound.

I'm going to vote for Ebony since it has the nice dark look and maple sound.[/QB]

I second that. However I think my new favorite, thanks to Willie pointing it out, is going to be Pau Ferro. Mainly because I`m a rabbit food eating, pollution protesting, bike riding, modern day quasi-hippie. And Pau Ferro, from what I`ve read, is(I`ve posted it before) a non-endangered hard wood! So support eco-harvesting (if there is such a thing) of exotic timber. Don`t let what happened to the Brazilian Rosewood happen elsewhere.

Nothing you do in life is ever wrong, some things just aren`t exactly right. Or some crap like that.

www.richfieldmusic.com

I have not dropped a ballot in the box.

I used to think that I was a rosewood guy. Then an ebony guy. Then I realized that different types of fingerboards just seemed to work better for different basses. That is, I think sometimes certain fingerboard woods match certain body woods better than others. However, there are certainly some exceptions to the "rules".

Nonetheless, here are some of the pairings I have found that I like:

-Alder body, rosewood 'board (e.g., 60s Fender J)

-Ash body, maple 'board (e.g., F Bass)

-Walnut body, rosewood 'board (e.g., an early 90s Fodera I played once -- one of the greatest sounding basses I ever played)

-Mahogany body, ebony 'board for fretless

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Screw y'all, gimme some of that nuclear powered Graphite anyday! Preferably on a "Steinburger" paddle stick sandwich. Black, please. 5 string fretted and fretless. And don't forget the side order of extra strings and 9v Lithium batteries for the tasty EMG pickups and preamp. :)

If you're nice, you might see a hefty tip. :D

The one that I know all the notes on without having to think.

I'm getting there slowly (though the process is being sped up by this cunning device: http://www.activebass.com/default.asp?iTarget=http%3A//www.activebass.com/basics/visnote.asp )

Alex

P.S. I like wenge personally, and rosewood covered in polyurethane floor varnish does a fine job on my fretless.

Archived