Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

P or J

Drum  Bass

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I understand the question. You might be asking which one different folks among us happen to prefer personally; in that case, I'm a J guy. But you might be asking which one is better, full stop; and to that question there is no answer.

I suppose the fact that there actually IS no such rule as that is fairly significant.

Well, if I hafta choose a flippin' Fender, I suppose it'd be a J.

(I like Fender G*****s, just not the basses. Don't ask why.) :D

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Jazz Bass all the way, baby. Good enough for Jaco Pastorius, John Paul Jones, Marcus Miller, John Entwistle, and Geddy Lee, good enough for Joe.

Leo Fender invented the electric bass guitar in 1951 with the Precision Bass. In 1960, he invented the Jazz Bass and perfected it. :thu:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I like my P-bass.... and I like my buddy's J bass.

I see them this way:

P-bass = Les Paul

J-bass = Strat

They're both totally classic instruments -- bring either to a session, and the the engineer will immediately know how to get a happening sound for you. The trick is in knowing which one suits you and your music best.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Id have to go with the P myself. I tried out both at a shop and the J just did fit right in my hands.
This is the most importantconsideration (next to tone) IMHO...

If yer gonna get tired holding the thing, or get a rash or whatever (don't laugh, it happens!! CHAFING :eek: ) then it's not the bass for you.

Great point :thu:

-{m}- What's these knobs for?

http://www.martianrebel.com

I'm a J guy myself. For me the J does everything a P can do and more. (Plus I've got small hands so I love the feel of the slender neck. Gotta dig that off-set body as well.)
Free your mind and your ass will follow.

I have both and love each one equaly but i don't play the p as much probably because it has a screw sticking out of the e string saddle which scratches and cuts you if you get too excited ... oh and the j bass is newer.
"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Originally posted by dcr:

I suppose the fact that there actually IS no such rule as that is fairly significant.

C'mon, dcr, live a little and enjoy the hypothetical for a moment. Put yourself in some kind of Orwellian world where you're allowed one bass and one bass only, and Big Brother gives you one choice: P or J. ;):D (Yes, I did notice that you came to play in your later post! :) )

To answer the question: J for me please. (Although if you added a Music Man to the game, my choice would be harder! ;) )

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by CMDN:

I see them this way:

P-bass = Les Paul

J-bass = Strat

freakin' guitar player....

The strat resembles a J, not the other way around. You start with the foundation, not the wanking (present company excepted).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I like the J definitely but the ever since the inception of the "hotrod" phenomenon, I think I can still manage a P but I'll have to cut it to make way for the J pup. (DESECRATION?) :freak:

Anyway, if no mods are allowed, aside from the little choices, I'll go J.

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

i like the way p's sound myself as opposed to j's but that is totally a preferrence thing. j's are great instruments. plus, the p has that big, heavy tree trunk feel that i love so much. but then i'm never one to say no when there's a j passing around...
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by CMDN:

I see them this way:

P-bass = Les Paul

J-bass = Strat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

freakin' guitar player....

The strat resembles a J, not the other way around. You start with the foundation, not the wanking (present company excepted).

Tom

Easy there, Slidey Chair...

What I meant was that P-basses are much like Les Pauls... they're simple, heavy and straight-forward. You get one humbucking pick-up, two knobs and four strings... and that's it. Yeah, you can mix and match with LPs, but they're pretty straight up and beefy.

J-basses, on the other hand, are much like strats in that they more knobs and two single-coil p-ups. They're more "finesse" instruments to my ears -- like strats.

Sheesh... you chair-sliding mafioso types are TOUCHY sometimes.

Hey, you comin tonight?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I think you've got a point there, C. Funny how an instrument called the Precision Bass is more like - hee hee - a blunt instrument. If they'd been introduced at the same time, I'd have called the Jazz the Precision, and call the Precision something like the Crack-Your-Skull-Open.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by Jode:

I think you've got a point there, C. Funny how an instrument called the Precision Bass is more like - hee hee - a blunt instrument. If they'd been introduced at the same time, I'd have called the Jazz the Precision, and call the Precision something like the Crack-Your-Skull-Open.

Tonally, you can do that with my MIM P. It's got the standard P and J pickups, and the active preamp helps maintain the sound better when using heavy distortion. I like that combo better than using active pickups and an active EQ.

I might need to have the shielding fixed; it hums a bit when I take my hands off the strings. Not really annoying, though.

Versatility aside, I think the J just sounds better. The pickup placement is brilliant. The P is nice, but as mentioned before, if I'm going to choose a one-pickup instrument, I'm going with a MM-Stingray or a knock-off (like my Warwick Streamer Pro-M). Also, on the J-bass, I like the right-hand placement better; anchor that thumb on the neck pickup, the neck heel, or switch back and forth.

J. Never owned a P, probably never will. Have never seen a reason too. You can get plenty of meaty bass tone from emphasizing the neck pickup on a J if that's what you want, also playing closer to the neck will affect that. But as for the rest of the time, the J just sounds better. More defined, more focused, nice growly, throaty sound. Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dave

Archived