Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introduce Yourself

Gord -B

Greetings everyone. I'm a 28 year-old dad of one (soon to be two) and I've been into music my whole life - saxophone, percussion, guitar since grade school and casual piano since high school - playing in different sorts of bands throughout in different capacities. As long as I can remember I've had a love for the bottom-end (in MUSIC that is...no heads in gutters just yet people). I've always been infatuated with bass lines and songs without decent ones don't do anything for me. Recently decided I'd like to pursue playing bass as a hobby in addition to the other instruments currently clogging up the office/wannabe home studio.

I thought this was a good site to check out at the ground floor of my bass-playing life. I'll be searching a while for bass/gear recommendations, so feel free to point me there straightaway if you know where the threads are. I'm just starting out so I won't be looking for a Geddy Lee/Jaco/Stu Hamm, but I'm not fond of buying beginner gear as I'm typically quick to outgrow it. Just like with my guitars, I need something with a good feel/sound to be excited about practicing and an amp that's good for the home or small gigs.

Musically I love everything from Mozart to Mastodon and see from my lurking that most others do as well. In a bass context, some of my favorite artists who groove are Doug Pinnick (King's X), Tony Levin (Peter Gabriel, and almost everyone else on the planet), Geddy Lee (Rush), and Mike Inez (Ozzy, Alice in Chains, Slash's Snakepit, Heart) among many others. Cheers! :)

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the LowDown! The basses you mentioned are all good choices. A good bass needs a good amp, so you may have to allow $300 - $600 for a nice practice amp. I am very fond of the new lightweight Neo combo amps (12" with at least 200 watts) that are good for home practice or gigging in small venues. We will all recommend that you find a good teacher to point you in the right direction, bypassing bad technique.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• 4 months later...

Hey there! Good to be on board! The name is Russ Sargeant. I've been playing bass for the last 26 years. I write and record my own brand of ambient jazz music in my home studio. I play electric fretted and fretless bass and electric upright bass. I use Ibanez, Stagg (EUB), Behringer, MAJ, Laney, Korg and Boss gear. I also play in a soul/blues/funk band The Cohen Brothers and am currently working on some solo bass live looping using the Mobius looping software. You can find me as @RussBass on Twitter. Cheers!

Russ

Hi,I'm chip and I play a 6 string Carvin (hence the moniker). Had a few other basses over the years, but the six is nearly all I need now.

Here's the thing about a six for me. I sing backup (and some lead) all night long, and we do a big variety of stuff, from Buck Cherry to Robert Palmer to Led Zeppelin to Micheal Jackson (RIP). The six is EASIER to play on a lot of things if I'm singing at the same time and don't want to be looking down for a high note (or chord). I can play songs in any key on demand. Plus it's simply more flexible for note choices.

But I'll agree it's a big neck to wrangle, and slap tech can be daunting (I don't do much anyhoo, I tend to yank on my Rotosounds and get the same effect, but have known cats who could machine gun it).

My background relates, too. In HS and college, I played bass trombone, which, with the slide, required good technique and ears, plus it had two valves that extended the range down to that of the tuba. Like the bottom B on a bass.

Do more with what's right at hand.

Amp-wise, I'm very basic, an SWR Workingman's 15. What's important is what goes out to the room. All the thump comes from our PA, and that makes me happy. I run pretty flat into the board, and any compression or coloring comes after. I have a pedalboard, but I pretty much use just one setting on a Digitech RP-50 (chorus, delay, and just a touch of distortion) and a Boss Octave (think the bridge in Maroon 5's This Love).

Oh, and I run lights with my feet too!

I think the most important part of bass technique is playing clean without a lot of buzzing and noise. This takes great strength in the left (fretting) hand (and I'm a lefty playing righty), and good habits with the right, whether you slap, finger, or flat-pick. Do your scales!

"It's all in the fingers, man"-Jaco

Welcome Chip! I understand exactly what you say about the advantages of a 6. I myself have never been comfortable with the string spacing or feel of anything with more than 4 strings though!

Russ, great to see you here! Russ is a fine bassist and a good chap to have around.He's a very knowledgeable guy and I hope he feels at home here. This is a friendly place (mostly) Russ. A few in-jokes from time to time so don't be afraid to ask.

It's smaller than a lot of other forums and more of a community than some. Many forumites have helped me out over the years. There are some very knowledgeable people here too (and some very opinionated ones! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, my name's Oleg, and I'm from Israel.

I've been playing keys for 8 years now, and recently started learning bass.

I'm a metalhead with deep appreciation of classic rock and rhythm'n'blues.

Playing whatever I had lying around, and it's an LTD (ESP) B-50, which is a very basic instrument, but it holds tune well, and I don't need anything more than that.

I've been hanging in the Keyboard Corner here for quite a while, hence the number of posts in my avatar.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

• 4 months later...

Hi all, Carlos here and I'd just like to share a bit about myself. I'm not much of a bass player but recently discovered I was a bit better than I thought. Kind of weird right? I know. I say that because I've had a bass since 01, a beginner package from Guitar Center. Throughout the years, I've never really got down and dirty with it, just tinkered with it here and there as I was playing with mostly drum machines and samplers during that time. I learned the basic notes with the standard tunings and pretty much got bored of the electronic sound and got more into actual live instrumentation.

Have been a fan of music for as long as I can remember, oldies, funk, soul, rnb, hiphop, rock, mariachi, techno, etc. etc. Wherever I've gone, music has always been a huge part of my life whether it was listening or just messing around with it.

Now, on to why I thought I was better than I thought. As I mentioned, I have had this bass for about 8 years now and never taken it too serious. For about the past year, I had been itching to try a guitar. Finally happened to grab one a few months ago to see what it was like. Loved it, but soon realized how difficult of an instrument it is. To make myself feel better, I grabbed my bass knowing I was more familiar with it, but when I "played" it, I suddenly felt that my skills were much better than I had previously thought. It kind of made me happy seeing as how bass was always the driving force behind the sounds I liked.

Now, I'm in a mood to start taking it more serious. I came to this place after picking up Bass Player magazine. I'm here to hopefully learn more about this awesome instrument and music in general to help me become a better player and to teach my sons more about music. I've been playing more lately resulting in blisters. I guess the saying, "pain is love" is true!

anyways, I guess I've gone on a bit long, but hello to all!

The only jewels to adorn my flesh are the scars of life. Whether good or bad, a lesson learned.

Hi my name is Joel and I love playing bass and spending time with my family. Work at a Steel Mill and used to play in a band with 3 guys from work. Not anymore though. Now I just work on my own stuff and plan on recording some original stuff of my own. Great to be here and just want to say thanks for all the help and knowledge from all of you in the topics I've posted up. Really appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, everybody. I've been a bass lover for many decades -- bought Stanley Clarke's first album, saw Jaco live, yadda, yadda -- but it wasn't until 2 yrs ago that Santa brought me my own beautiful bass. Interesting experience, learning a new instrument in middle age, but I couldn't be having more fun. It's like taking a little vacation every time I pick it up. Humbled but glad to be part of this forum.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• 1 month later...

And here's another newbie to this forum!

I'm a 42 years old bassist from Germany and have been playing for something like 24 years - too bad it doesn't show... :laugh:

I like many styles but my big love is Funk and Soul - especially the old-school-stuf like Motown, Stax, Atlantic and so forth.

My basses are:

- Fender Roscoe Beck V

- Fender Duck Dunn

- Fender 60s Jazz (Japan)

- Fender American Vintage 62 Precision

- Fender Marcus Miller

- Lakland Darryl Jones V

- Hot Wire fretless V

- Warwick Streamer Stage I

My rig:

- Glockenklang Soul Top

- Glockenklang Quattro

- Eden WT 800

- Eden D210XLT

Effects:

- EBS MultiComp

- Yamaha NE-1

- EMMA Discumbobulator

- Akai Deep Impact

I play in a Jamiroquai tribute band (www.jamirolike.de and www.myspace.com/jamirolike) which often has me stretching my abilities - but that's just the way I like it.

I've been reading and collecting Bass Player since the first issue and still find myself flipping through old issues from time to time.

I'm looking forward to contributing to this fine forum every once in a while (as far as my day job allows ;) )

For sale: Hot Wire 5-string fretless, rosewood fretboard, tobacco sunburst, J-Retro Deluxe

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone...

My name is John, as per my clever screen name... I play bass in Jojo Mayer's band Nerve and co-own a recording studio in Brooklyn and sometimes teach at the Bass Collective. My main basses are my '78 Jazz, Fodera Imperial 5 fretless, and early 70's Gibson Ripper... I play Aguilar stuff and use an AG500sc and a DB212 in town... on the road 8x10's or 4x12's... I also have tons of pedals.

Nerve just release a new EP, and here is a video of us in my studio:

Cheers,

John

Hey, I just wanted to post quickly to say how impressed I am by the friendliness and helpfulness of this forum.

This is the first new forum I've joined in several years. I have studiously avoided being "sucked into" any sort of detailed bass arguments or obsessive type bass communities, as I am happy with where I am with my basses, equipment, and playing, and not interested in flame wars or petty arguments or useless tribal battles.

I am happy to report that this forum seems to be absent such negative or non-supportive activity. I have found a happy home here.

Maybe later I'll more properly introduce myself. I've been hesitant as last year was one shocker after another, as for many musicians and non-musicians alike, and I kind of want to be more settled into my new groove before saying much about where I've been and where I'm headed musically.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Maybe later I'll more properly introduce myself. I've been hesitant as last year was one shocker after another, as for many musicians and non-musicians alike, and I kind of want to be more settled into my new groove before saying much about where I've been and where I'm headed musically.

Oh, an International Man of Mystery, eh? That's OK. We accept all comers here. (Heck, they've even accepted me...I think.) Anyway, welcome. It is pretty friendly here...for the most part...except for the rare but occasional excess-testosterone flareup. :/

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

As someone who has dated epileptics in the past, that is one scary picture that you paint!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hi Mark,

Good to see you on both KC and the Lowdown.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Surprised how many are on both forums. And also how those of us who are, exhibit slightly different personalities on them. :-)

Here's some advice, as part of an incremental personal intro:

If you are not already both a bassist and keyboardist, it's never too late to start.

It really opens up gigs. Even bands that already have a keyboardist show more interest when a bassist can cover for someone who's not not there for whatever reason.

Hi my name is Kent, and I'm 53 years old and have been playing bass as my primary instrument since I was 15. I also picked up a lot of guitar skills on the way as well, but I will always be a bass player first and foremost in my heart. Let's just say I'm a Fender bass guy with both the P and J thing going, and amp-wise I have an arsenal of Peavey and Ampeg stuff. I'm in a blues and classic rock band that does original and cover material, and we work out of the greater Omaha Nebraska metropolitan region. I'm happy to be here. Thanks.

Archived