Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do I get other musicians to respect me?

BassBAMF

Originally posted by matt C:

Pardon me if this is off the avenue thispost has taken, but...

To get respect for being a musician, you should actually learn the instrument. Inside and out. Work out your dexterity, speed, technical knowledge, vocabulary, etc. DBB (as usual) is right- no matter how good you are, there are thousands just like you. I've seen and played with many in my area. An easy way to rise above those masses is to learn and apply some music theory. Not only does the vocabulary make one sound more intelligent, it will show in your playing.

Besides, as your playing becomes more erudite and evolved, other, better players will notice. When you play with more experienced musicians, others' opinion of you goes up as well.

Spot on, mate!! :)

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As important as your playing is, and as important as your ability to sit in with any style is... You're attitude is at least equally important.

You must be friendly. You must be chatty. You must be a people person.

You can be Marcus Miller and never get a job if you never talk to people, or come off like an ass.

Don't forget that very important part.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

OK... I told him at practice (after he whipped it out) that I was gonna call the cops on him if he kept doin it and he backed down and promised he wouldn't do it..we are gonna kick him out anyway. But thanx alot guys and JeremyC, I'm NOT just a heavy metal bassist and I don't consider myself a hotshot, but I do consider myself a musician and thanx for your comments...
Scott, there's a sound I want you to hear....

"Why is an old married guy playing music with a bunch of teenage guys anyway? This is very suspicious. "- davebrownbass

Sorry Dave I guess I didn't specify before.. he's 19 and his baby was born on Friday and he isn't married to it's mother yet. Sorry for any other confusion I may have caused...

Scott, there's a sound I want you to hear....

Way to stand up for yourself Bassbamf. Whether you know it or not you're already earning respect for standing up, including from the singer. Musicians respect team players- thats what a band is, a team.

Don't get me wrong here...Everyone needs a little exterior gratification every now and again...I need it, you need it, they need it, we need it...But you aren't playing bass to earn respect, are you?...I play because I love to play...If I can only play one note all day long...I love to play...If noone wants to come out and play with me...I still love to play...If people don't respect what I am doing or think that I can't play...I don't really care...When I am old and grey and I look back and realize that I either reached my goals or fell short, it won't matter...I loved playing the whole time.

We must accept the consequences of being ourselves-Sojourn of Arjuna

Music at www.moporoco.com/nick

BassBAMF where does the BAMF come from? does it come from the x men comics with night crawler going BAMF every where or does it stand for Bad A** mother F*****? :wave:

Archived