Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is your dream set up?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm... currently I'd say...

-MM Stingray 5 or G&L L-2500 (Or perhaps both if were just dreamin' anyway!)

-Warwick fretless Thumb bass

-Vintage Jazz made sometime in the 60's

-Ampeg SVP-Pro or Kern Preamp

-dbx compressor

-A good multi effects unit... maybe a Boss ME-50B or GT-6B (Just for the once-in-a-while gig that I'll want a filter or chorus or something.)

-A good power amp

-A portable lightweight cabinet that puts out decent sound.

My "dream" set up seems to change monthly, so It'll probably be different the next time someone post a dream rig thread.

Peace!

My current rig serves me pretty damn well, and is a whole lot sweeter sounding and more versatile than some of the crap I have owned in the past. But I'm really liking the idea of the compact, lightweight, and high-power rigs that I'm seeing a lot of guys turn to. Maybe a Bergie or an A-Groove cab with a Mackie 1400, and my Eden amp's frontend, might be my next step on the way to the dream rig.

This is my current rig, which was close to my dream target a few years back. As someone else suggested, the target is always moving...

http://www.nova4x4.com/uploads/031104/bassrig.jpg

Originally posted by Edendude:

But I'm really liking the idea of the compact, lightweight, and high-power rigs that I'm seeing a lot of guys turn to. Maybe a Bergie or an A-Groove cab with a Mackie 1400, and my Eden amp's frontend, might be my next step on the way to the dream rig.

I have never seen the Mackie 1400 described as lightweight before.

Didn't Mackie actually market it as the "lead sled" for a while? :D

True enough!

The Mackie could be re-cycled and used as a boat anchor, after it has served a long life as an amp.

:D

With regard to 'light weight', it's the idea of a small cab with a big sound that I really like the idea of.

An Eden D210XST would be another possibility, if a Bergie or A-Groove was out of range for me.

For now my GK1001RB and D210T are working very well as a light weight and punchy option.

Originally posted by getz76:

Originally posted by Edendude:

But I'm really liking the idea of the compact, lightweight, and high-power rigs that I'm seeing a lot of guys turn to. Maybe a Bergie or an A-Groove cab with a Mackie 1400, and my Eden amp's frontend, might be my next step on the way to the dream rig.

I have never seen the Mackie 1400 described as lightweight before.

Didn't Mackie actually market it as the "lead sled" for a while? :D

Edendude,

I currently use the Mackie M1400i and, although really like the tone, am seriously considering the Stewart World 1.2.

Rationale: The Stewart is a single space and weighs 11 pounds, versus the Mackie, which is a two-space and weighing in at 38 pounds..

Check it out!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

How does it compare price-wise. The Stewies have a great rep, I know.

The thing I like about the Mackies is the fact that they are very reasonably priced, very rugged, and have lots of power for the money. You can get a 1400i for around $500-$600 these days.

But yeah...

Weight is the trade off, for sure. The 1400i weights more alone, than my WT300 and my GK1001RB do together in a four space SKB box.

Any problems with the Mackie while you've had it?

Edendude,

Absolutely no problems with the Mackie! I would only switch due to the weight and rack space reduction--not due to tonal quality nor for any quality issues.

Last time I checked--both cost roughly the same (new and also used on eBay).

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Caution: STEWART 1.2 does not operate well in one rack space. It's actually needing space above it and below it to be reliable when asked to produce near full load. If you know how to mount it in the center of two rack spaces that can work, and use a fan with it when you can.

I'd recommend any other LATER Stewart models instead; this one was a real pain to deal with in sound reinforcement. There are a couple versions of it; the second one being a case hack to make it dissipate heat better so that it could run near full load. But even that was iffy.

Archived