Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has there ever been a Compilation CD on this forum?

Jazzman

High folks, just a question. Has there ever been a comp CD done here on this forum with you bass folks?

Some of the other forums have done it. I'm on the Keyboard one and the The Studio Business Forum. The Keyboard CD was featured in this months Keyboard Mag. There were 21 tracks in all. There is actually a link where you can hear each track.

Peace my friends..........

Jazzman :cool:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who doesn't have a cd burner? ;)

I actually have access to a lot of the equipment necessary....mastering software, cd duplicator, label software, etc, as probably many others here do as well.

There's a little matter of finances and time. It would require some sort of investment up front to physically produce cds with booklets and jewel cases....then of course you'd be able them to sell them here to make back expenses and if a profit was made everyone would start screaming....and if expenses weren't recovered, the person who did it would start screaming.

And of course someone would have to pick what gets on this thing....unless it's first come first serve, but what happens if you get 100 submissions in the first week?

I believe the model for this might be the SSS forum, they did this a while back, mostly through email and server sites, and it seemed to go pretty well and easily. I will do whatever I can to help make it happen.

Sign me up!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

There is a lot of work in putting together the package. Both times I paid $10.00 for a CD. The money went to the main guy that put the music together on a CD first. These folks had some mastering gear to work with, and they paid with PayPal, and check.

Here is how it worked:

1. Send in a CD of the music....5 min or less.

2. The music was sent in to one of the guys that put the songs on the CD in an order that was cool, a good mix.( he said he did some adjustments in volume and some mastering, although I couldn't tell on mine)

3. After the songs were put on a master, it was sent to another guy that duplicated the music.

4. In the meantime one person did the cover, and the insert for the Comp CD. The design went to the guy that was duplicating the CD's.

5. Once the CD's were made, with inserts, they were shipped to everyone that paid.

6. If others wanted to get in the buying process they would pay.....going once.......going twice...thats it! Some folks wanted 2,3 even 5 copies of the Comp. There is shipping costs to send them out even overseas. I always paid more than what was asked, because it was a special thank-you to those who spent mega time in the production of the disc.

One of the CD's was open as "anything goes" type CD.

The money was split up among the production group. All of the extra money went to a musicians fund.

One thing that we would need to realize is that not everyone has recording gear. Some folks had taken their songs to a studio for recording and adjustments, others had gear at home to work from. Others had songs from some time back and sent them in for the Comp. Some folks did their work on computers and sent in files to the guy putting the songs together. I had sent in a CD with one song on it.

Myself, I have around 60 to 70 songs on DAT and at least 150 on DA88 tapes. I also have around 900 songs on cassette. All of my own work.

My work is mostly Jazz(smooth,acid,cool), R&B, Soul, and some tint of Hip-Hop.

Peace my friends..........

My fade-out..........

Originally posted by Addix Metzatricity:

That link would be HERE!

I co-wrote and played bass on the song 'Chango' that is on this compilation.

I'm down with doing a forum compilation. Me thinks that would be very cool. :thu:

Originally posted by Addix Metzatricity:

Oh, YOU were on Chango?? Cool... I like that song!

Anyway, mine is obviously the song by Addix Metzatricity, "Meteor".

:) Yeah, Pat (keyboard player) and I have been friends for a long time now. It took us something like 5 minutes to write the whole thing; Pat wanted to write a samba... so we did.

I'm not entirely happy with my playing on that track. :( I was really sick the day I did my part and I can hear it in my playing. There are a lot of 'timid' moments throughout the song. Oh well. Glad that someone likes it!

Bass used - Mike Lull M4V fretless

amp - none! We recorded the bass direct through the mixing board, didn't even use a pre-amp.

"Meteor" is a cool piece! I generally don't listen to this type of music and I really think this is cool. It's definitely making its way into my music server at work for repeated listenings. :thu: For some reason it reminds me of Rush in a really twisted way.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

"Meteor" is a cool piece! I generally don't listen to this type of music and I really think this is cool. It's definitely making its way into my music server at work for repeated listenings. :thu: For some reason it reminds me of Rush in a really twisted way.

Rush? Now that is odd seeing as I really don't like Rush.

Now before anyone flames me, I RESPECT the hell out of their musical ability. I just don't like the music.

Anyway, THANKS! Honestly, Meteor was my first real foray into writing a song completely by myself. The first time I've ever stepped out of my very comfortable "bassist" role.

I must say, I was not unimpressed with any track on that CD.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone, I'd definitely be interested to buy one if it gets produced.There are many of you that I would love to hear. I say go for it!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Wait ... I just saw this (I think I was on vacation when it first popped up).

I'd be into it. At the very least I can volunteer time and energy into helping organize.

I'm thinking it would be really interesting if we made it a "snapshot" of things people are doing now or in the last year - more of a Sampler of current work than a "best of" thing.

Jazzman - I'm curious who handled the different "tasks" involved - maybe a few of us could check in with them individually about "lessons learned." Seems mastering would be really important, given the range of media/gear ...

A cheaper alternative to pressing CDs might be to set up webspace where we could upload WAV files. Or even more cheap might be a page with links to band/personal WAV files that were hosted elsewhere ... would musicgearnetwork be willing to do it? (I don't know why they would ...)

OK here goes...........

I could take a stab at the graphics for the CD, if you guys want. I have "Sure Thing Labeler", Adobe.

As far as the graphics go, if I did it, then I would like to send the final graphics in to someone who could post the cover for your comments(3 1/2" disc or e-mail with attachment)to that person.

My take on the produced coaster... :idea:

1. Real bass guitars, no keyboard bass. Electric, upright, acoustic miked.

2. Vocals, Instrumental, Jazz, Rock, HipHop,Blues, Latin, or whatever.

3. Recordrd live or in a studio, you play in the band or you do everything. I mean everything. :freak:

4. Submissions in by the end of August, finish the CD by the end of September. THEN PASS OUT!!!

5. Cost for the CD is $10.00. each to be included with the submission.$ go to the dup guy.

6. Provide forum handle, your name if you want, length of song. Who played in the tune, and what equipment was used. The song would need to be less than 4 min.long. Provide your address, etc.

7. The Cd would have 16 tracks. First come first serve. If too many, then place on the next CD if another one comes out. No returns.

8. The dup guy would get the mixed CD from me and dup it, also dup the graphics, etc.

9. Forum players only.

10 Post a thread called "sign-up here for comp_" submissions, post a thread called " submissions that paid".

11. Someone could put a web site together to post songs there too.

If anyone else wants to take a crack at any part of it , speak up please. I can offer some help, or just submit my tune. Any one else have any better ideas?

Just a thought......

Who's up next?

Who's the dope guy....I mean the ahhhhh.....errrr...dup guy?? HAHA!!

Who want's to take control of this beast??

Peace.....my fade-out....

BUMP.

I am interested in submitting music, have a tune or two I might consider. Ten bucks does not sound unreasonable, considering the work involved and the potential finished product.

If no one else wants to, I could throw some graphics together. I have a few ideas...

Put me down as ready. :thu:

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived