Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

5 string for heavy metal

jimbojones

I am going for bass #2. I am looking within the price range of 1000$- 1500$. I have tried out these three basses, in the order of my liking:

Warwrick corvette 5 (loved it)

Music Man five string (pretty cool)

Fender deluxe jazz bass 5 ( i liked the mid punch)

american fender jazz bass 5 ( I'd prefer it to have active electronics.

If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. Thanks!

P.S. This is my first topic post (Yeah!) let me know if I did anything wrong. Thanks!

primus sucks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to be the first one to tell you this but go with whatever you think sounds best. You're the most important critic in this situation so go with what you like most.

Have fun choosing.

In Skynyrd We Trust

I must agree with the above post, as most people will. Also, use the 'Edit' button.

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger.Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."

- Mel Brooks

If I had that type of money to throw around...I mean, er, invest ( :) ) in a bass, I would go with the Music Man. Or an awesome six-string, like the Peavey Cirrus.

But the old, "do what you think is best" idea still applies. It is your sound, after all.

Those are strong quality choices. They are not a complete list of good 5's in that price range. Have you tried others and decided against them? Which?

When you say the bass is for metal, what is your concern? That the sound will cut through? Most basses in that price range will have lots of great tone. Or is it about appearance? That's something you'll have to judge for yourself.

As we like to say around here - so many basses, so little time.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Like what everyone says above, its really only your choice, try it out, check the sound, and if you really like it. Contradicting what I said before, I personally would go with the Warwick Corvette, its a really great bass. Plays well with funk, jazz, and even Hard Rock. The choice is yours.

-Skout

Words of Inspiration:

Not everyone needs to be Jaco. Sometimes your band just needs a bass player, somebody to just play root notes - Dirk Lance

Originally posted by SteveC:

All are solid choices. I would recommend the Musicman Stingray 5 as I currently play one. Our band does funk, R&B, rock, and it works great for all of them.

As do I. My Stingray 4 is great for metal, and I'm saving up for a Stingray 5!
\m/ Timothy Lyons

in the end go with the bass that you like the best. here are some ones I would recomend that you try.

Peavey Cirrus

Lakland Skyline 55-02

G&L L2500

Spector NS-5CRFM

also try as many different things as you can, you never know what you might fall in love with.

Originally posted by jimbojones:

I am going for bass #2. I am looking within the price range of 1000$- 1500$. I have tried out these three basses, in the order of my liking:

Warwrick corvette 5 (loved it)

Music Man five string (pretty cool)

Fender deluxe jazz bass 5 ( i liked the mid punch)

american fender jazz bass 5 ( I'd prefer it to have active electronics.

Sup jimbo? Good basses, no doubt about it. Music Man's my favorite among those you posted, but for heavy metal, I'd go for the Warwick. :evil:

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

http://bassforum.pointbeing.com/users/banta/images/4003S5-1.jpg

This is what I use for metal. Killer sound with a pick. It's the discontinued model 4003S/5, but you can still find them used for under $1000.

I'd rather go with something versatile, like this one:

http://www.espguitars.com/assets/images/c305_a.jpg

The C305 ESP LTD model. Half a pic, sorry :P

It's neck thru, 35 inch scale, EMG 40-HZ pickups, EMG B64 active EQ, and nice see thru finishes. The body shape makes it look attractive in any setting...very classy. ESP also has a bunch of basses that appeal to the metal crowd. I think Steve DiGiorgio has a custom fretless version of one of those monsters.

Flippin' through the channels, I passed through "Headbangers Ball II" on MTV2. Its weird because a lot of bassists in those bands used a Fender. Not that I have anything to say thats bad about Fender, but I find that extremely unusual, considering its tone and everything . . . but whatever.

Skout

Words of Inspiration:

Not everyone needs to be Jaco. Sometimes your band just needs a bass player, somebody to just play root notes - Dirk Lance

Originally posted by Skout:

Flippin' through the channels, I passed through "Headbangers Ball II" on MTV2. Its weird because a lot of bassists in those bands used a Fender. Not that I have anything to say thats bad about Fender, but I find that extremely unusual, considering its tone and everything . . . but whatever.

Skout

Alex, I was expecting you to say "WARWICK!" and then tell us all how great warwicks are, but i guess you have changed :(
orange juice

Originally posted by Floyd The Barber:

Alex, I was expecting you to say "WARWICK!" and then tell us all how great warwicks are, but i guess you have changed :(

I'd get the Warwick. It has the tone, the looks, the feels and the attitude for a metal bass :evil::D

Who Put The ' M ' In MySpace?

don\'t_click | day_job

Originally posted by p r o t o o l e r:

Originally posted by Floyd The Barber:

I'd get the Warwick. It has the tone, the looks, the feels and the attitude for a metal bass :evil::D
:eek::mad:

HOW DARE YOU TRY TO TAKE ALEX'S PLACE!

orange juice

Skout[/qb]

Alex, I was expecting you to say "WARWICK!" and then tell us all how great warwicks are, but i guess you have changed :( [/QB]

I haven't changed Greg I really haven't! But to tell you the truth, I originally put Warwick in, to tell everyone to "how great those Warwicks are" (by the way, they are amazing basses) but when you look through my previous quote, I say a lot. So hows that for an analysis?

But the only heavy metal band they showed that used a Warwick was Mudvayne . . . Ryan Martinie was using a Warwick Thumb . . . (notice, its only one person)

Skout

Words of Inspiration:

Originally posted by Skout:

Skout

Alex, I was expecting you to say "WARWICK!" and then tell us all how great warwicks are, but i guess you have changed :( [/QB]

I haven't changed Greg I really haven't! But to tell you the truth, I originally put Warwick in, to tell everyone to "how great those Warwicks are" (by the way, they are amazing basses) but when you look through my previous quote, I say a lo. So hows that for an analysis?

But the only heavy metal band they showed that used a Warwick was Mudvayne . . . Ryan Martinie was using a Warwick Thumb . . . (only one person)

Skout[/QB]

ah, thank God you're ok. yes, warwick's are amazing. I'm glad to see you're back to the normal alex. I was afraid someone had stolen your name and then posted about a TV show.

anyways, to the topic, yea i would say warwick.

i personally don't like fender basses

orange juice

I'd say roll with a Warwick or a Fender, but that kinda depends on what sound you want. I switched from Ibanez 4's and 5's to a Warwick Streamer LX (a lot like the Corvette 5) and it's AMAZING. It takes a lot of abuse, sounds great every night and plays well, however it's a very thick sound, so if you're looking for a more cutting sound, try a Musicman; if you're looking to blend in a bit, try a Fender. Hope it helps!

I would definitely recommend that you check out the G&L L-2500 Bass. I own the 4-string version (L-2000) and it kicks major bootie.

In case you didn't know, G&L was co-founded in the early 80's by Leo Fender (you know the inventor of the modern Electric Bass).

Anyway, this the "L-2X00" series basses are very well made and extremely versatile. They offer the following controls:

G&L Tri-Tone active/passive electronics, 3-way mini-toggle pickup selector, series/parallel mini-toggle, preamp control mini-toggle (off/on/on with high end EQ boost).

Check out the L2500 web page for more details.

Good luck...

Tom

Bee, why you sting me? - Jack Kerouac

If you haven't done so yet, do yourself a favor and at least try out a Spector NS5CRFM. I've been playing metal and more on one since '95. Really cuts through the mix, especially if your guitar players like to eat up the low end. And you should be able to find one in the $1300-1400 range. Best bass I've ever bought, besides my '87 NS-2. Warwick also a great choice, as is the MusicMan. Do as everyone else says, go with what sounds best to you. And if you can, try to get one on loan for a day or two and check out how it sounds with your rig and your band.

Shouldn't anyone ask this guy what kind of metal he plays? Gothic? Acid? Doom? Speed? Nu? Straks?

If you play speed metal, you'd go for a slim, fast bass. Play doom? Go for a big fat one. Play nu? Get whatever you want, 'cause it doesn't matter.

I played a Stingray for the metal I played and sold it eventually. I then used a Lakland 94-55. Now the band's gone.

Don't be a lowlife...

Get some low end.

try out sadowsky and mike lull if you liked the fender's mid punch and want active electronics, they're fender copies that improve on the design with woods, hardware, electronics, and pickups you can choose to help you in your quest for your sound, ( i dont work for either companies and have no tie with them, actually im only 14)
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

almost forgot, wal basses are also great, they have a wide range of tones with their 2 humbuckers,they might be hard to get to since they are european but justin chancellor plays from Tool plays one and you can hear him. The bass is a lot like a stingray but with better mids.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

if your going to go heavy metal i would go sting ray or get an ibanez in the 500-700 range so you wont feel bad about thrashing it up some. i mean i go crzy on me rick a lot but thats diffrent cuz it looks like crap if i had nice new 4004 series i would be abit hesitant. and lets not for get this is heavy metal. heavy metal isnt suposed to sound expensive like aluminum it should be havy sounding like cast iron

oh whatever you aint gonna listen to me go get your warwick :rolleyes:

Archived