Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

5 string for heavy metal

jimbojones

Hi Jimbojones, I have a Schecter Dimond Elite 5.It is a neck-thru and has a very powerful tone due to the twin humbucking pickups.Great sustain! The price was about $600. So even if you if you add a case you still save some money.So check one out! :cool:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lots of good suggestions. What makes bass cut through the mix is midrange. What blows most bass players skirt up is rattle your chest bottom. You can get both with a good passive bass and a great amp. A more important consideration might be, are you a pick or finger player, and what is the string spacing of your current bass. If you've been playing a fender the bridge spacing is 3/4" or a RIC is 11/16". If you've played for quite some time it might be long term frustration to change the string spacing that you are used to. As for the active/passive thing, it's hard to improve on Leo's original p-bass or jazz bass sound which were passive. If you play one of these through a great amp rig like an Eden 410XLT, they will definetly blow up your skirt up. It's hard to not lean toward the Fender, but they didn't stick with what they taught all us old timers and changed the string spacing. My personal favorite is the MTD Heir. Great midrange and flexability and one of the most comfortable necks I've found. They are about $600.00, spend the rest on a killer amp. Oh yeah, you said about the Corvette "(loved it)", what more do you need? In the words of Mr Lennon "All You Need is Love" :)

Excellent point Williebee.I have been playing 4 string for about 25 years and rarely have to pay close attention to my hand position.However, I have only played 5 string for about a year and the reason I don't play it more often is the string spaceing. The strings on the Schecter are very close together. So I have to actually watch my hands all the time or I end up on the wrong strings! :rolleyes: I'll keep at it but if I decide to buy another 5 I'll get the wider spaceing for sure!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived