Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This was SO cool...

Flemtone

So we're playing an old Irish bar this past Friday, and the first song of the last set is "Dixie Chicken" a la Little Feat. We're jamming away, and we come to the piano break. It usually entails Robbie (our most excellent pianist) losing his mind for about 5 minutes while the drummer and I keep a back-beat happening. All of a sudden, drums and bass drop out completely, Robbie stops playing for a couple of seconds, the audience thinks something is wrong and, to a completely quiet house, Robbie begins to play the intro to "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" and the place erupts in cheers. I start to sing the lyrics, and am joined by everyone in the place. Andy and Billy (guitarists) are staring at us, Orlando (drums) has a big smile on his face, and Robbie and I bring it home. When we're done, everyone's on their feet applauding and cheering...so we dive back into Dixie Chicken as though nothing unusual happened.

The only difference...for about two minutes, everyone in the bar was five years old again.

Word.

-Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post! Some things cannot and should not be planned. This certainly sounds like on of them. I'd dare say that if you planned this for your next gig, it would sound rehearsed and probably prententious. The audience knows.

CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

Good for him. I'll bet a lot of people needed to hear that. I tell you, I have seen the death of Mister Rogers affect more adults more profoundly than any other celebrity's death in my lifetime. I know I cried, and I made a co-worker cry when I told her the news. Everyone else noticed this?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived