Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What kind of rack case do you use?

Travis Harms

I am thinking of replacing my SKB rack case with a smaller case and possibly going with a diffent brand, but im not really sure.

My main problem is my head is 2 spaces, and my case is 4. At the time I bought it, about 2 years ago, I was leaving the option of adding something to my rack, so I opted for a larger case. Not only that but I had heard that heat can be an issue with rack cases without much space. So my case has 2 extra spaces that are just making it bigger and heavier than it needs to be and my Hartke 5000 head has never gotten very hot. Not only that but my head moves around inside the case a little and is getting scratched and banged up.

Because of all of this, I am going to get a 2 space rack. I dont really have a problem with SKB, but I also dont really know what the other companies cases are like. I am just looking for something lightweight and cheap.

So what do you use?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SKB Racks are about as light and cheap as they come.

Anvil , Calzone , Hybrid ,Fibre-tech....to just name a few. All of these will be more expensive than SKB.

You might want to consider one of those 'soft' cases......although the specific name escapes me.

PJR

I have an SKB, but I also have a really cool soft case that I like much better. Doesn't even have a brand name on it. It's made of plywood, and covered with padding and heavy duty vinyl. It has a nice big pocket sewn into the top for cables and stuff. I like this style of rack/case much better than my hard case SKB box.

Instead of spending $$$ on a 2-space rack, why not do the fun option of spending $$$ on new stuff to fill the rack!! My 2-space drawer comes in very handy, and it shouldn't create a heat problem. I'm guessing that a drawer costs less $$ than a new 2-space rack anyways.

More stuff=good

Ah, nice marmot.

Originally posted by Travis Harms:

...and my Hartke 5000 head has never gotten very hot

did you consider that perhaps the reason why your head never gets very hot is because it has all of that free air moving around, cooling it?

not that you'd necessarily have an issue with a 2-space rack case, but it's something to consider.

robb.

My Fender BXR resides in a BOSS 2 space rack. It's great...heavy duty metal, rubber, stackable corners...front and rear lids.

I don't think they make them still, but if you could find one, it'd be great.

EDIT POST MODE ON:

Wow...one of these is selling on EBAY. It is exactly like mine, (but mine is not as scrached up) except the lids seem to be missing (You'd have to ask)

Carrying nice amp in this beat up rack will make you look cool, and give you "musician cred."

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I have a skb roto rack 6 space. Two empty spaces but the almost 50lb. power amp does get a little warm sometimes. I'm about to raise the preamp and power conditioner up a space to let it get better ventilation. Man, the whole thing looks like a pain to carry by myself. I haven't moved it yet. Can't wait ugh.
"Don't Ask Me I'm Just The Bassplayer" UBP

Originally posted by Scootdog:

More stuff=good

Which goes back to my theory on lights... the more lights you have, the better. I swear I'm going to make rack mountable LED boards.. nothing but lights, some may blink, some may not. 1, 2, and 4 rack spaces. Brilliant.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Originally posted by Scootdog:

More stuff=good

Which goes back to my theory on lights... the more lights you have, the better. I swear I'm going to make rack mountable LED boards.. nothing but lights, some may blink, some may not. 1, 2, and 4 rack spaces. Brilliant.
Reminds me of the great Bill Shatner in his career-defining role as Buck Murdock in Airplane 2 - The Sequel:

"I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking and beeping and flashing - they're flashing and they're beeping. I can't stand it anymore! They're blinking and beeping and flashing! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug!"

Oh yeah, and it reminds me of this too:

super cool rack lights

Ah, nice marmot.

Check out Funk Logic; I have one of their rack plates for my RNC compressor, but they have some pretty interesting rack filler panels with lights and tongue-in-cheek.

http://www.funklogic.com/products.htm

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Most of my stuff is in Anvil racks. I've got a couple of SKB racks, but I won't put anything really heavy in them because of the fixed, small clearance handle design they use. The recessed, spring loaded handle design on Anvil, Calzone, Grundorf and similar cases is easier to work with as the weight of the case increases IMO. A lot of the stage crews we work say that SKB is an acronym for "S#!tty Knuckle Busters" ;)
Later..................

I currently use a really cheap nasty 6-space case which (not helped by the Mackie power amp in it) weighs a ton. I'd like to replace it with a lighter 4-space case, but I'm not keen on going to a moulded plastic case like an SKB because of the horrible handles (I've added some lovely sprung handles to my case so that it balances perfectly).

As all the hardware on my case is fairly solid (it's just the compressed cardboard-esque panels that let it down) I was thinking of building a new case using the existing parts.

Any thoughts on what to use for this - what grade/thickness of plywood? How about something ultralight such as aluminium honeycomb?

Cheers,

Alex

Archived