Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

String Height

FreddieB

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you want to do is adjust the relief. go here:

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

it's really helpful. The neck bolt pan talks about I would guess is the truss rod. I have really high action as well, despite the bridge being really low..I just hafta find the right hex wrench.

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Timothy Lyons:

Set screws on the saddle should allow for the adjustment. Of course with this you'll have to re-intonate your bass, which in itself is fun.

Oh yeah...got a strobe tuner I can borrow??

It's a fine balance between action and neck relief. I like to have a pro make those kind of adjustments, if possible. It's not impossible, just trying....and maybe worth the $$$ if you've not done it before!

JBFLA

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Originally posted by JBFLA:

Originally posted by Timothy Lyons:

Set screws on the saddle should allow for the adjustment. Of course with this you'll have to re-intonate your bass, which in itself is fun.

Oh yeah...got a strobe tuner I can borrow??

It's a fine balance between action and neck relief. I like to have a pro make those kind of adjustments, if possible. It's not impossible, just trying....and maybe worth the $$$ if you've not done it before!

JBFLA

I personally have five guitars and basses to maintain and two saxes. Unless I perform my own maintainence, my regular quarterly setups would put me in the poor-house. :cry:
\m/ Timothy Lyons

You can still reach bass player archive page - gear section. This sites are truly useful to me.

Bass Player Archive

Spec guide by Scott Shiraki will provide you some information.

If you want to have extensive reading for setup, you can still buy books. I can recommend Guitar Player Repair guide by Dan Erlewine. We can find at google by guitar/bass setup as keyword.

Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret:

I took mine to a pro...the action was that of an upright, with the saddles as low as possible. It needed neck readjustment, and the nut filed down. This guy did everything...for about $40. Really cool...I do most of it myself, but I'm not messing with the neck or the nut. Don't want to mess things up worse.

What Pat said. Spend the dough, let a pro do it, and tell him what you want. It will be money well spent.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived