Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

envelope filter.

chewstermaniac

K, what the hell is it and what does it do, and is it something that you should have all the time, or use occassionally?

Is it comparable to compression? I use this all the time, its never off.

any info would be appreciated. I've herd the term several times, yet never done the research on what it does.

Thanks in advance!

Check out my work in progress.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An envelope filter is also called an envelope follower or 'auto-wah'. A wah pedal is basically a filter that you open and close with a foot pedal. An envelope filter, which comes from the synth world, is set to open or close based on how hard you play a note. If you ever hear a bass line that sounds like each individual note has a wah on it, as opposed to one long phrase affected by a wah, it's an envelope filter. Flea uses one a lot, and the player most closely associated with it would be Bootsy Collins. He used a Mu-tron.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Envelope filters can really bring in the funk. However, it is doubtful you would have it "on" all the time. Bootsy (Bootsy, baby!) is a great example of an envelope filter user.

Compression all the time? Wow. Including when you practice? I'd recommend practicing without compression to make sure you still have mastery over your dynamics using just your fingers.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Yeppers. Bootsy used plenty-o-envelope filter. It's a cool tool to have, especially for funk music; but it's not something that I'd use all the time... I don't think anyone would, as it would really lose it's "oh wow, that sounds cool" factor after a song or two; even AAAaahhhh the name is Bootsy, baby.. didn't use it all the time.

Compression? All the time? No thank you. I personally never use compression live, ever. It is evil. I want to have total control over my dynamics when performing live and a compressor can really rob you of your freedom of (dynamic)expression.

I never practice with compression. It's a bad crutch to have.

I've thought about getting a compressor for my new system, only because there's something subtle that happens tonewise when slapping thru compression that I like. I can't really define it except it sounds...punchy...that sucks as a definition...but it will have to do.

Work sucks so bad right now. Someone save me.

Hehe, i'm sittin here stewin at work too. browsin the forums, and getting paid, don't sound to shabby, does it?

Thanks for responses. As for the compression thing, its not cranked, and only really turns on when i get really loud, i've got it tweeked so as to effect the dynamics of my playing very little, if at all.

Sounds like I'm the kinda guy who would really like one of these "envelope filter" thingys.

Thanks guys, you all make this place a great one!

Check out my work in progress.

I think you'd want to put the envelope follower BEFORE the compressor. If it's an autowah, the dynamics of your playing are what trigger the filter to open or close (making the note brighter than darker, kinda like a vocal sound). If you compress before the filter, it won't open up all the way.

I use the autowah/wah on my pedalboard with an expression pedal, and then it's more like a wah wah, and your foot makes it go.

I hope this helps....

I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

OK, this is funny (well, to me anyway. I'm easily amused :) . I was reading thru this post and thought I was the only one who didn't use compression live. Tried it....no sir, didn't like it. I thought at the time it took some control away from me.

Our band does 'Lucky Kid' by Sheryl Crow and I use the envelope in a middle part of that song. To really make it stand out, I pop the notes with the back of my finger nail. Weird, but effective.

Still smilin' about the compression thing...

Bassplayers aren't paid to play fast, they're paid to listen fast.

Archived