Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Combo's

Partyboydan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Separates are generally more versatile and easier to carry. There's nothing wrong with combos sonically, but in my opinion the drawbacks of a combo outweigh any advantages.

The SWR Super Redhead, for example, is a gorgeous sounding and powerful combo, but it's a pain in the arse to lift and load.

Something like Ampeg's Portabass head or Eden's Traveller head and a separate 2x10 cab would be my preference over a Super Redhead, for example.

Well, it wouldn't be a combo post if i didn't chime in on the virtues of the SWR WM10. As the regulars here know, I use one in some combination for all my rehearsals and gigs.

Alone, it keeps up with my 9 piece funk/soul band in our rehearsal/recording studio.

I add an SWR 2X10 Goliath Jr. cab and beef it up a bit for gigs in small to medium rooms.

For big rooms, I add a DI to our PA and I'm good to go. We all use IEM's so the "mini stack" on stage is really just to get a little of the "feel" for me and the drummer. We just can't completely break away from an amp on stage, for bass anyway.

I did an A/B with this set up and an SWR Super Redhead, and believe it or not, this sounded tighter and more full. I think the 3X10 speaker comination makes a big difference compared to the Redheads 2X10, even though it has more power.

Just my 2 cents.

True...

The WM10 is a very nice little amp, but if you have to add a 2x10 for medium-sized rooms, as you say you do, then it's not really a combo, is it? You're using separate components. It's just that the 'head' happens to have a ten inch speaker onboard.

:D

So in effect, an Eden WT300 Traveler and an SWR 2x10 would be a lighter and much more powerful separate component rig.

I'm a big fan of my Peavey bam 210 I can get just about any tone out of it i want.. I've had some problems with it reseting itself a couple of times... but that seems to be done with now... weighing in at about 100 pounds does make it quite the beast to lift but i'm young...

Combo king here....I currently use the Acoustic Image Contra, the Gallien Krueger MBE 150 and the Eden Nemesis 210.

Everybody here knows I love 'em.

If you click that little "search" thing and type "combo" you'll find all the reason why, all the combo talk you can digest.

AND, you'll even hear opinions from folks who don't hang around here much anymore.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I myself use a Peavey TNT 115. Enough power for the band I play in now, and I can even add another speaker/power amp via its crossover. I'm thinking 2x10 /w a horn.

I augment its sound using the amp modeling feature of my DigiTech BP200, hooked to the Low Gain input. I'm particularly fond of its Mesa Boogie 400, Ampeg SVT, and Ashdown models. For that alone, the BP200's worth my money. That's not to say the Peavey's unprocessed sound is bad (it's great on its own).

I get mic'd or DI'd anyhow, so there's really no need for me to get anything bigger or more powerful than this at the moment. The only time that might happen is when I get a mighty sixer into my arsenal. But even then, it may not. I did test my 115 with a Yamaha TRBII, and a Peavay Cirrus, both sixes, and they went through without the unwanted speaker "farting".

Good luck, whatever you get. :)

I play thru a SWR Super Redhead 2x10 combo. Sounds great. I really like it, BUT I would prefer to have separates. I'd rather carry a 30 lb. head and 55 lb. 2x10 cab that a single, rather bulky 85 lb. combo. I also use an Ampeg B50R 1x12 combo as a practice amp and for smaller stuff -- I dig it.

Combos are fine, and for some folks they're truly the way to go. Separates allow for more flexibility down the road to tinker with your rig.

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

If you click that little "search" thing and type "combo" you'll find all the reason why, all the combo talk you can digest.

AND, you'll even hear opinions from folks who don't hang around here much anymore.

Definitely check out the "search" feature. Also, partyboydan, you might want to try to roll your Laney/Trace question into this thread. Your amp choice will depend somewhat on your needs. You also should play both amps under consideration with your bass and see for yourself if you prefer one to the other. I've never played either brand.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Edendude:

And Willie...

There's no need in this day and age for a head with balls to weigh in at 30 lbs. My 540 watt GK 1001RB only weighs 18 lbs. My Eden head's only 13 lbs.

:thu:

No doubt.

A single rackspace tube preamp + a single rackspace Peavey DPC-1400X power amp (1400W into 4 ohms bridged mono -- hella juice) would weigh in at just over 20 lbs. Or make it a Stewart World 1.2 power amp (1200W bridged mono into 4 ohms), if you'd like, for about the same weight!

If I had to redistribute the approx. 85 lbs. that my Super Red weighs, I'd probably be lookin' at about 55 lbs. for a 2x10 cab and then have 30 lbs. (or less) left over for the head.

Anyway, dimensions make a difference here too, not just weight -- especially if you've gotta fit stuff in a car. Sometimes a combo fits nicely, and sometimes you wish you could disassemble it into smaller components.

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

You know, as odd as this may (or may not) sound, one of the coolest combo amps ever was the Peavey DataBass. 400W of power and one Black Widow 15" speaker. These little things were loud, had plenty of low end, and they were small... of course, they weighed a bloody ton, but that's beside the point. :D

Like all good Peavey products, they stopped making it. Heartless bastards.

When on tour with the Waybacks I bring my 10-year-old GK 150 MB combo to amplify my Eminence EUB. It's got enough SPL for many of the rooms we play; when there's good sound reinforcement I'll use it to keep myself out of the monitors. I can't stand the sound of upright bass in the monitors! The other night in Toledo I borrowed an SWR 4x10 from the opening band's bassist...the l'il GK has juice a-plenty to drive an 8-ohm cab nicely.

When I'm at home playing a "real" upright bass my main rig is an Acoustic Image Contra which drives an Acme Low-B 2x10...plenty of power and reference-rig clarity.

Spankin' the plank all the way to the bank!

JoeKyleJr.com

I have a yorkville 50 watt combo for practice at home and to play in church and it is fantastic, it even di's out to a pa if needed. I love the combo it only weighs about 15 kg (30 pounds in american speak.)

Having said that i prefer the amp and cab combo, much more flexible. So when i need over 50 watts for the band out will come my GK7007 with a 15 and a quad (when it gets here, ordered it a week and a half ago and still hasnt turned up).

Short and sweet: small light combos are excellent but anything over 100 watts get a piggy back system.

Providence over serendipity any day.

yeah, do some searches, this is a very frequent topic. I like separates, these days I use a small rackbag with Avalon U5 + Stewart 1.2 and one or two 1x12 cabs (Epifani or Bergantino). All the pieces weigh 40lbs or less and are easier for me to lug around than a good combo, but the downside is this approach is quite expensive.

I had various Peavey combos over the years, have used and am not impressed by any of the SWR Workingman's combos (no offense), but my favorite of all is the Eden Nemesis 210P. I had two for a while, my son still has one of them and he loves it. Sounds much better with a 5 string than the Peavey 300watt 1x15 it replaced, and weighs about half what the Peavey did.

Archived