Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Insurance Money going towards bass gear: Any Suggestions

Kooky Mogessi

I just got a letter from my lawyers office about settling with the insurance company about the car accident i was in in December of 01 and it told me how much to expect to get. They're going to demand $70,000 first but i was told to expect around $20,000-$30,000.

I'm 16 and carless so the first thing is going to be a car. After that I'm buying new bass gear. I'm definetly going to buy a cab and a head but have no clue which ones to look into. I know its talked about alot on here but I'm asking again because I want to know what everyone thinks is the best combination. I'm willing to spend about $1500 so anything under that.

Please dont hate me because I'm asking an old question (or I'm getting me some money). :D:thu:

"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spend it on college. Then you'll get a high-paying job in corporate America and can afford anything you want.

Seriously though...it depends on what kind of music you play. For the budget you have you'll be able to get something really nice.

Ah, nice marmot.

I plan on saving the majority for college but first stuff to make me happy now.

I'm playing mostly rock stuff now and that will be the majority of my playing but I want something that is somewhat versitile. I've heard good things about Workingman series stuff so I was thinking about either a 1x15 or a 4x10 and a head of that line. theres a "package" thing in musicians friend and thats about $1000.

I've also heard good things about Eden and Trace Elliot but i dont know. Those are the 3 that are at the top of the list.

btw i know very little about amps. all i know is how they sound, more watts is bigger, and the things(forget what theyre called at this moment but i know what they are when i see the numbers) need to match up. so please help me

"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

Originally posted by Penguinsarebirds:

...and the things(forget what theyre called at this moment but i know what they are when i see the numbers) need to match up...

Ohms. Don't worry too much about that, it'd be hard to have a mismatch of ohm ratings if you're only getting one cabinet.

Personally I'm getting an Ashdown RPM1 preamp and a Crown MT1200 sometime next week, and everything I've read about those two are great.

As far as cabinets go, I can vouch for a Warwick 411-Pro (4x10 w/ a HF tweeter.) It sounds better than any Ampeg cab I've played.

And as the $1,500 budget goes, you'll be able to get something pretty nice. I got good deals on the above 3 components for a combined $1,490.

We can all testify to the gear we love, but as you're expecting us to say "It boils down to what you like." All of the big name gear makers make good quality stuff , but the slight differences is what suits slightly different tastes. Be patient and play on as much as you can, then buy the dream rig that you won't have to update for years.

Ah, nice marmot.

Cornbread said:

For $1500, you can get a good rig. I'd recommend separates or a high end combo. Try going the same route BenLoy did and go with a good, clean power amp, a good pre and 2 Acme cabs. That will give you plenty of sound for any gig.
Trust me...one Acme B2 is all you'll need unless you're playing a stadium or something. With the right amount of power this thing kicks serious SPLs like a muthafuka.

I recommend an amp with at least 550 watts if you go the Acme route.

One of the problems I've seen shopping for "separates" is that it can be hard to find stores that stock the "good" stuff, and so it's hard to test it out. But BenLoy's rig sounds wonderful - I could go for something like that no sweat!!

Just the same, go shopping. Instead of suggesting lots of equipment, we could comment on the things that you like.

And save for college - you won't be disapointed.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by cornbread:

For $1500, you can get a good rig. I'd recommend separates or a high end combo. Try going the same route BenLoy did and go with a good, clean power amp, a good pre and 2 Acme cabs. That will give you plenty of sound for any gig.

With that much $$$ you can get separates and a combo!

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

How 'bout the following pieces of used gear from Bass Northwest?

Demeter preamp

Stewart World 1.6 power amp

And then you still have $500 left for an Acme Low B2 (or you could get an Acme Low B4 if you went about $150 over your budget)!

Party on!

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

An Eden WT400, and a pair of 8 ohm Eden D210XLT cabs would probably be one of the most versatile and sweet sounding rigs money can buy. But I'm not sure if $1500 will cover it. Probably not.

A GK-1001RB and an SWR Golliath III 4x10 cab would also be a very nice option.

At least try to get a 4x10 cab or a pair of 2x10s, and an amp capable of a minimum of 400 watts RMS, and you should never be wanting for more volume, in just about any stage situation.

Let us know what you get.

:thu:

Look at bass amps on the Carvin website... there is a 1000W package with a 4x10 and a 1x18 with a 1000W head for under $1500... I've never used much Carvin stuff 'cept a friend's bass a long time ago and a couple of cables here and there, but from what I've read and heard, its worth looking into. I might go that route myself if I don't end up liking the rig I'm going to check out this weekend (SWR Mo' Bass.)

As far as college goes... join the Air Force and take advantage of the GI Bill. Problem solved. Buy a good car.

DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

Originally posted by Adamixoye:

[QB]Whoa...how do you plan on saving for college, buying a car, and buying bass gear with only $20,000-30,000?QB]

To straiten things out I dont plan on being able to pay for all of college after buying my stuff. I also plan on buying an inexpensive car because it will be my first and chances are I'll wreck it(I hope not) and as I've been thinking about it I dont plan on buying a new bass, just maybe getting new pu etc for my current bass.

So all together the car and bass stuff shouldnt cost more than $5000 or something like that. The rest will just Help with college

first off where do you live. mabey someone knows of a good store for you to go look at that has a lot of good stuff. if you are going to spend that kind of money you are going to have to go and just try stuff. to get a feel of what kind of sound you like. do you want a real clean tone like SWR or eden, or do you like a more colored tone like ampeg.

there is so much out there these days that it is hard to just recomend something out of the blue. just from personal expiearence I would try to keep things as simple as possible. people often get gear crazy and end up with a very big and complicated rig....and that gets frustrating if you ever gig on a regular basis. unless you have roadies.

How 'bout the following pieces of used gear from Bass Northwest?

Demeter preamp

Stewart World 1.6 power amp

And then you still have $500 left for an Acme Low B2 (or you could get an Acme Low B4 if you went about $150 over your budget)!

1600 watts? That's plain overkill no matter how you look at it. He'd melt the drivers and blow the tweeter protection bulb with the finger-squeak alone!

Using any more than 1000 watts on an Acme requires some wisdom with that volume knob. The thing can only really handle about 500 watts of continuous power before crying uncle. It's only a 2x10, after all.

Now, running a B4 from that Stewart 1.6, that's a different story!

Originally posted by BenLoy:

1600 watts? That's plain overkill no matter how you look at it. He'd melt the drivers and blow the tweeter protection bulb with the finger-squeak alone!

Using any more than 1000 watts on an Acme requires some wisdom with that volume knob. The thing can only really handle about 500 watts of continuous power before crying uncle. It's only a 2x10, after all.

Now, running a B4 from that Stewart 1.6, that's a different story!

What about an 8-ohm B2? The Stew 1.6 gives 1150W at 8 ohms. Or a 4-ohm B2 using only a single channel @ 550W RMS? (Stews can run only one channel.)

Nonetheless, I agree -- springing the extra few pesos for either an 8-ohm or 4-ohm B4 could send a brutha on his way to nirvana... :thu:

Peace.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived