Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

good news for Beatles fans

Scoot

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How cool is that! SoundWrangler--exactly! Something that really blew me away on the 2nd & 3rd "Anthology" collections were how incredible the music sounded when it was stripped down. I may have mentioned before that one of my favorites moments on those discs is "I Am The Walrus," which is the cut they put on the album, but *before* a string arrangement was added. (Same deal with "Long & Winding Road," right?) The song had a new breath of life; & hey, it turns out there was some really cool rhythm guitar going on under that tide of cheesy strings! :idea: It's too bad that the Beatles were making records in an era in which "big arrangements" were just expected, even if they didn't really help the track. It's a testament to the greatness of their music that it only sounds better, the more exposed it is in the track.

I don't dislike the Spector recording - just 'The Long And Winding Road' - but I'll be very interested in hearing the new (old) arrangements of the tunes.

'Old Brown Shoe' has a killer bass part.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

rockin! i'll have to check that one out too...

what the hell is despectorizing?

im guessing its just cleaning up the crackles and stuff??

- roses on your breath but graveyards on your soul -

Originally posted by sheX:

what the hell is despectorizing?

im guessing its just cleaning up the crackles and stuff??

Um, well it refers to the fact that Phil Spector (a very famous producer and arranger from the late 50's & early 60's) got ahold of the album after it was finished and added all the super soppy string arrangements and female choirs. A lot of Beatles fans dislike the additions because they were done without the band's input or approval. The new release won't include the changes, and is therefore "de-Spector-ized".
-Matt M

Archived