Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there anyone famous on the forum??

JDL

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess if jammin' with Redbone, who came into our club one night before their concert at Cobo Hall, didn't make me famous, nothing will. :) Still, let me try one more time. We shared that same stage with Wayne Cochran and his band and one night Ted Nugent came in and jammed a bit with us. He was a friend of our singer.

Oh yeah, I almost fergot, Troy Shondel (big hit, "This Time"...we're really breakin' up, 1967) usedta try and produce at a studio where the band I was with did some recording several years ago.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by Sylver needs a new job:

Not only do I have a famous last name(2x over), I also

had the privlege

of shaking the hand

and speaking to

The one

the only

Jaco Pastorius.

Yep, he was standing there at the bar before his gig at the Chestnut Caberet in Philly.

And I said the single most stupid thing that I could have possibly said to him.

"I play bass too."

Duh. I must have been wacked. ;)

But, he did his best not to make me feel stupid. He wasn't annoyed or anything. I think his manager had him pretty well tanked.

I said something else stupid later that night, but it's much too stupid to repeat.

LOL :D
Am Ende Steht Der Sieg

played with a few... not enough, ,though!! from my website:

GIGS 

LIVE: 

DEBBIE GIBSON - US TOUR 

CHAYANNE- US AND SOUTH AMERICA TOUR 

KC AND THE SUNSHINE BAND - WORLD TOUR 

NO MERCY- with special guests GLORIA ESTEFAN  and

JON   SECADA-Y100 BIRTHDAY CONCERT, MIAMI ARENA 

JIMMY BUFFET- ATLANTIS, BAHAMAS 

STORM SHOW, MANDALAY BAY, LAS VEGAS 

USO LAS VEGAS SALUTES THE SPIRIT OF AMERICA", featuring WAYNE NEWTON, CLINT HOLMES, EARL TURNER, etc

NANCY WILSON - SS NORWAY

TELEVISION:

THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO- CBS TV

THE ROSEANN SHOW- ABC TV

DONNIE & MARIE SHOW- NBC TV

SUPERBOWL XXXIII

REPUBLICAN CONVENTION - C-SPAN

SABADO GIGANTE - UNIVISION

RITMO INTERNACIONAL- TELEMUNDO

CHAYANNE : LA RECONQUISTA- TELEMUNDO

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

I played with a few italian singers whom you don't certainly know, but I happened to meet and shake hands with Alain Caron, Scott Henderson and Steve Lukather. Besides that, I still have a few e-mail exchanges with Billy Sheehan.

On this purpose, he invited me a couple of years ago to his concert in Milan for the Steve Vai tour, but in the same period I was in the US for my company; I felt very sad.

www.myspace.com/fabrizioruggiero

www.myspace.com/vanalientribute

Who are we? People.

Where do we come from? Home.

Where are we going to? Home.

New to the forum, saw this post, couldn't resist.

Here goes.... My brother ( a bass player also ) played in a band in the late 70's w/ Cindy Blackman ( Lenny Kravitz's drummer ). Also... a close friend of mine ( John Arch ) was the former lead singer for Fates Warning. He just put out a solo disk of his own material w/ members of Fates and Dream Theater. Enough name dropping... time to practice.

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Adrian, that makes two of us that played the Donnie & Marie Show, played it with Bo Diddley in the early seventies.

Wally

Does it count that Donnie's oldest son was my drummer in two different bands, and that I've seen all the old film reels of The Donnie & Marie show stacked up against a wall in Donnie's basement? :)

Donnie's a really cool guy. He's come to two different shows we played and always gave us good feedback, and we chilled with him after we lost a Battle of the Bands.

i have met christian mcbride after his show at Blues Alley in D.C.

i know the g*****ist from Filter and his brother

i have met billy joel and am good friends with someone who has performed at the Kennedy Center with him

thats all i can remember, hehe

peaceOUT

.~.

let me let you guys in on something.. Donnie Osmond is a badd mutha!! he can sing and he's the real deal- he just has this image he has to go with- his bands always smoke- hisbass plyer, i can't belive i cant remmeber his name. St. something.. his brother is keyboarsrst with Davis Sanborn sometimes and i beleiev produced som eof Paula Abduls funkier stuff- anyways, this guy is great bass player. And when i did the show, Kat Dyson form Prince's band was the guitarist.. Donnie is not messing around.. reminds me of th time i saw Glen Cmpbell totally blow me away on TV when he jammed with George Bensosn- he was giving George the business!! and Marie is a cutie... i got to wink to here!! she winked back!! :D

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Kat Dyson, so that's who that is. Damn, she's funky. I didn't realize that she was doing the Prince gig. Good place for her.

I heard from some of the cast and band of Joseph's Amazing Technocolor Dreamcoat that Donny was the real deal and a great guy.

Originally posted by Sylver needs a new job:

I said something else stupid later that night, but it's much too stupid to repeat.

TELL US!!!!!!!!! WE WANNA KNOW!!!!!

(at least I do)

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

I met Jerry Bergonzi, the best tenor sax player I've ever heard yet, last week at a jazz camp. I also spent that week listening to and having classes with some of the best jazz musicians in Canada, namely bassist Pat Collins and drummer Barry Elmes :D:D

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

I'm not under the illusion that any of the glory reflects on me in any way, but I've been in bands that supported one or two famous folks - I've tread the same boards as:

Really famous: James Brown, Van Morrison. Met JB, could not have been friendlier or nicer guy. Never came close to actually meeting Van. A band I was in had to turn down the chance to support Brian Ferry because it clashed with a friend's wedding.

Moderately famous (in UK at least): Ian Dury, Hue and Cry.

Flash in the pan famous (again in UK): The Christians; Maggie Reilly (session singer, had a hit with Mike Oldfield); JoBoxers (nobody remembers them now, but at the time they were so hot that they appeared on Top of the Pops, the UK's most important music show, left the TV studio and flew a charter plane to play our gig 500 miles away on the same night).

Y'know "fame" is such a fleeting thing, and it is so terribly irrelevant...but since we're braggin'......

Back in my reggae days in the early 90s I was hired as a sideman on tours by Ziggy Marley, Gregory Issacs, The Mighty Diamonds and The Carribbean All-Stars.

I have done one-off subs for Lacy J Dalton, Reba McIntyre, and Mary Wilson.

I have done quite a few "ghosting" sessions for some quite famous rock and pop acts on major labels...all of which I am obligated not to reveal.

I have done fairgrounds shows for Peter Frampton and Elvin Bishop.

I have composed and performed the scores for two Discovery Channel documentaries. And, have played on numerous regional ad jingles (Ford Trucks, Dodge Dealers..) as well as composing two ad scores for BMW and one national spot for Subaru.

I composed and conducted a live score for David Mamet's play "Revenge Of The Space Pandas" .

...and still nobody knows me without my american Express Card!

...but, I would love to play bass for Donny Osmond. For all the showbiz facade, he has had killer bands, and is a recognizable showman.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Max, impressive!!

I did some scoring for Sports ads for Telemundo a while back- i would love to do that more! you have a handle on it, i see! You go, boy!!-

Praise ye the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

For avoidance of doubt, Max, I didn't consider myself to be bragging. Being in a band that gets on the same bill as a successful artist is pure chance. Actually playing in the same band as a successful artist, particularly a talented one who can pick and choose between good players, is not pure chance, it's a reflection of your ability. You have something to brag about, I don't.

Thank you for the compliment, yet I must honestly say, with complete humility, playing with those artists has been as much luck as your gigs. Certainly some degree of skill plays into it, yet the median skills neccessary to be a "good" bassist are most likely possessed by all the members of this forum.

It is mostly being in the right place at the right time, perhaps having some reputation and recommendations, and having a certain desire, ambition and drive to get out and do it.

Every day I count my blessings that I have a job which I love doing: being a musician.

Thanks...

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Max mentioned "Revenge of the Space Pandas" - I was the lighting director/designer for that play when I was in high school, several light years ago. That doesn't make me famous, but it just brought back memories of one of my best friends in a huge panda costume with a giant pumpkin suspended overhead.

My claim to fame... uh, in the late 80's I stood in close-to-freezing weather for 45 minutes to get the autographs of all the Chicago members. Twice. It was after Peter Cetera left the band.

- Matt W.

When i was in my old band we played a few gigs and i got stopped in the street and asked if i was in the band Reemer, i said yeah, and the guy said you guys rocked man i really loved you etc and then he asked who all these other guys with me were, i calmly replied they were the rest of the band then the guy said sorry and ran off ha ha ha. Also we had Gareth Evans as a manager until i quit, he was the road manager for Nirvana and was and still is the manager for the stone roses, Nice guy too. That doesn't really make me famous but its nice to know.

Nic

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Um... about 19 years ago, before I picked up the bass, I took a couple sax lessons from jazz great Don Lanphere. When he found out I also played the bassoon, he went to his record library and pulled out an album of jazz bassoon... pretty cool ;)

An explanation to what davebrownbass posted regarding the lady I sleep with, my wife AKA Lady Bo. She played with Bo Diddley from 1956 to 1962.

And by the way, a nice bit on Lady Bo inthe "International Musician"!

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

Originally posted by Dave Martin:

An explanation to what davebrownbass posted regarding the lady I sleep with, my wife AKA Lady Bo. She played with Bo Diddley from 1956 to 1962.

And by the way, a nice bit on Lady Bo inthe "International Musician"!
She was reunited with Diddley in 1970 and her and I played with him until the early 90's. This year had been a great year for Lady Bo, being inducted into the West Coast Blues Hall of Fame, receiving a Congressional Lifetime Achievement Award and being honored as a "Blues Legend" at the California Music Awards. It's been great playing music with her for the last 35 years and look forward to every time we take to the stage together. :cool:

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived